Why the huge increase in Idaho NR hunters?

KurtR

WKR
Most of the rigs parked at the spot I usually hunt were from Washington and California. I am fine with out of state hunters, but I hope they raise out of state fees. I think a 50 percent increase for most states and double for California sounds about right.
What are the odds that those people now live there but have not switched license plates? Prices are going up next year with caps in place to distribute people hopefully. The same amount of tags will be sold though and the same amount of nr can then buy those tags. It’s math. It won’t get better till the elephant in the room is addressed........in state population growth

I don't think they bailed on CO as I saw a while ago the CPW said they sold 40K more tags this year! I do agree both elk and deer numbers are down and that was confirmed at a CPW meeting I attended in January by literally every person from CPW that spoke.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Everyone knows us Cali hunters make 150k + a year. We can afford any price.
Yes, but you guys also pay 5X what real estate is really worth lol. Not to mention your gas prices and everyday cost of living. That's like $50k everywhere else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha 😂 aawesome! But 50%,? Phht, make it 75%+, that way the residents doing the illegal guiding have to lower their prices.
I have a hard time figuring out if Utards or Californians are less desirable.

I'm not accusing you of this, but just by this site alone it seems many life long/long time Idaho residents only moved there in the last 2 to 3 years. I always enjoy seeing the "no room left" or "only us residents should" comments left by some California transplant that's been there a month.
Totally got ya there. However, I think states should take care of their residents first. For example, it’s around $1100 for a NR combo elk/deer tag (which includes hunting, fishing, and upland game licenses) in Montana. It’s $55 for a resident if you throw in the $20 archery permit. I just moved here, so I paid nonresident prices this year. However, I like that because next year I’ll pay 5% of that. The same principle applies to draw vs. OTC. That way if forces you to commit to a state more and become more invested.

Rob5589

WKR
California is a disease spreading faster than Covid. Unfortunately they don't know they have it and how dangerous it is to others around them.
Sort of. People better get off their asses and vote. Saw plenty on Biden/Harris signs last week as far as Grangeville.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely makes sense slightly more hunters were afield this year as stated due to fewer 2nd tags being issued. This is partly because some capped zone NR quotas were cut quite a bit so those hunters went elsewhere. That’s what we did (but I ended up drawing a controlled hunt for my usual unit).

Helped a buddy in a general non-capped unit. Never seen pressure like that...and we spike camped in. He still almost got it done on his first ever elk hunt. But wow, that’s a totally different style of hunting with that many people.

Scouted for my 10/1 tag during the last week of archery. Found some decent bulls but couldn’t find a bow hunter to go after them. THAT was strange because it’s normally a zoo. Weather was crappy I guess.

Either way, Idaho has been great to me as a NR but it’s time to start cashing in points for other hunts in other states. Glad I was able to leave with a heavy pack again!

What are the odds that those people now live there but have not switched license plates? Prices are going up next year with caps in place to distribute people hopefully. The same amount of tags will be sold though and the same amount of nr can then buy those tags. It’s math. It won’t get better till the elephant in the room is addressed........in state population growth
You must not be from Idaho or have been to a DMV in meridian or marsing?!?!

dads driving the uhaul with hot rod in tow and mommas behind in the suv and utility trailer full of crap. It’s the first place they stop and it’s too bad that the word on marsing is out because that place used to be awesome for service. Now CC residents get first dibs and the line is out the sidewalk and the dmv closes their doors during business hours because of the influx. I mean why wouldn’t they stop there? It’s 30 minutes across state lines and easy so their new neighbors can’t see their Cali plates when it’s time to unload their uahul!

sneaky

"DADDY"
You must not be from Idaho or have been to a DMV in meridian or marsing?!?!

dads driving the uhaul with hot rod in tow and mommas behind in the suv and utility trailer full of crap. It’s the first place they stop and it’s too bad that the word on marsing is out because that place used to be awesome for service. Now CC residents get first dibs and the line is out the sidewalk and the dmv closes their doors during business hours because of the influx. I mean why wouldn’t they stop there? It’s 30 minutes across state lines and easy so their new neighbors can’t see their Cali plates when it’s time to unload their uahul!
Marsing needs to get their damn bridge finished

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
Everyone knows us Cali hunters make 150k + a year. We can afford any price. :LOL:
What really made me mad is one of those California trucks had a nice 4x4 mulie in the back. I should have changed my original statement to I am fine with out of state hunters as long as they are unsuccessful. It really chaps my ass when they get something.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
The solution is inevitable.

Raise the price of all non resident tags until they all sell at the maximum price possible. Simple supply and demand. In this case the people paying higher fees can't vote. Easy money.

Sobrbiker

WKR
As an adult onset hunter, I’d have to say that social media, podcasts, forums like this facilitate the growth we want in hunting, and it comes at a price.

There was an huge increase in hunters and people in the woods this year in Colorado. Mainly due to the covid nonsense
Lots of guys on unemployment able to hunt more

Rob5589

WKR
What really made me mad is one of those California trucks had a nice 4x4 mulie in the back. I should have changed my original statement to I am fine with out of state hunters as long as they are unsuccessful. It really chaps my ass when they get something.
Wasn't us unfortunately. You know what's funny, when I was a senior in HS (1986) one of my teachers had a bumper sticker on his car that read, "Welcome to California, now get the **** out"
There are plenty of people that still feel that way.