Why use a Suppressor?

Beside the obvious sound reduction and slight recoil reduction, why do hunters use a suppressor? they make your rifle longer, heavier, and inconvienient to take in and out of a case. And yes "some" rifles shoot better with them, but not all. Seems like such a pain for all negatives above. Why not just use ear plugs?

A braked magnum still isn’t hearing safe with ear plugs.
Sometimes it happens fast and don’t have time for ear plugs, or a tree grabs the string connecting them and rips them off while trying to get in position, or you loose them, only takes one shot with a braked gun to do serious damage. Easy follow up shots.
Easier to track hits in scope.
Easier for kids/new shooters to get comfortable with shooting.
The negatives can pretty much all be eliminated or at least mitigated by buying/building the gun knowing it’ll be suppressed (shorter barrels/lighter weight). Don’t really see the taking in and out of case being a issue.

Sound reduction is the only reason, and a good reason, I’d go suppressed. Recoil is not a factor and brakes are ridiculously loud and annoying. Some claim/see better accuracy but really? If your gun isn’t accurate enough without a suppressor it won’t be enough with one. So a non-factor for hunting for me. You don’t always have time to get the plugs in and a silencer can get the noise down to a level that won’t instantly damage your hearing even if you take a couple shots. Even suppressed, I’d still put plugs in if I could and you definitely need them in for multiple shots taken quickly in a row.

I've already lost about 30% of my hearing.
40 Years old and conversations are hit or miss.
Basically can't talk on a phone.
Had to buy hearing aids to even have a chance of hearing bugles.
So yeahhh.
Ear pro sure. But every shot in every scenario? Your gonna loose game.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot with a suppressor and I think you’ll see why.

Suppressors will reduce the concussive effect of the shots. I have had brakes on my 338 RUM, 300 RUM, etc and while they do reduce recoil, after several shots, the concussion just isn’t fun to deal with.

I bought my first suppressor 2 years ago - now I’m waiting for my 3rd to be approved. If you’re worried about weight or length with a suppressor, use a shorter barrel. The velocity difference isn’t much and you just add a few clicks when dialing.

Much of the reasons have already been said.
This rifle is 43.5" total length with a 7.5" 14oz suppressor 20220221_090223.jpg
Not a paint to take in and out of the case. The suppressor isn't a direct thread so it doesn't take 14 twist to get off. Very easy to carry and just an o overall great shooting experience for all ages. Oh and it's 7mag.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone else get headaches after shooting magnum rifles with aggressive muzzle brakes? This seems to happen every time I fire more than about 10 rounds. I assume suppressors would completely eliminate this problem?

lintond

WKR
Just curious have you ever shot a gun with a suppressor??

I hope to never shoot a gun without one again, total game changer for me

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

This!!! I just got done shooting sage rats and my first time shooting my can on my 223. Typically it’s on my 28 Nosler. It made it so pleasant compared to my friends gun. I even want a suppressor on my 17 HMR now.

I initially got the suppressor for my 28 Nosler after taking a quick shot at a deer and blowing up my ears and my hunting partner. I even had my ears around my neck…doh!

After seeing my dad struggle with hearing loss I’ve tried to be more intentional about protecting my hearing now, not when I’m 50+. The weight penalty of the suppressor is worth it for me and makes a gun much more pleasant to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Very very few ever say, “I bought a suppressor, and I still don’t get what the big deal is.”

Nearly every says, “I wish I would have bought a suppressor years ago, and I am buying another one for my other rifle.”

Listing all the pros and cons isn’t nearly as convincing as the testimonials of everyone who buys one.

Just do it. Get a titanium one for hunting and don’t look back.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does anyone else get headaches after shooting magnum rifles with aggressive muzzle brakes? This seems to happen every time I fire more than about 10 rounds. I assume suppressors would completely eliminate this problem?
It isn’t the sound, it is the concussive blast jarring your brain around in your skull, literally tiny concussions.

A suppressor eliminates the concussion.

Buy one.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sound reduction is the only reason, and a good reason, I’d go suppressed. Recoil is not a factor and brakes are ridiculously loud and annoying. Some claim/see better accuracy but really? If your gun isn’t accurate enough without a suppressor it won’t be enough with one. So a non-factor for hunting for me. You don’t always have time to get the plugs in and a silencer can get the noise down to a level that won’t instantly damage your hearing even if you take a couple shots. Even suppressed, I’d still put plugs in if I could and you definitely need them in for multiple shots taken quickly in a row.
The accuracy improvement isn’t because of what suppressors do for the gun, it is what they do for the shooter. When you don’t have the muzzle blast and sound, your brain isn’t reacting with a massive flinch or off switch for a second.

mcr-85

WKR
The accuracy improvement isn’t because of what suppressors do for the gun, it is what they do for the shooter. When you don’t have the muzzle blast and sound, your brain isn’t reacting with a massive flinch or off switch for a second.
Exactly. I chopped a .223 down for my little boy. 18" barrel and I took the length of pull down to about 10.5" or so. He couldn't hit anything with it because it was so dang loud he'd flintch, close his eyes and jerk the trigger. He's pretty deadly with a suppressor on it though.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
big10hunter

Sent from my SM-G973U1 us

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Yes. However, with an already 26" barrel it does add quite a bit to the length of the rifle.

OP
big10hunter
I appreciate the replies, obviously a hot topic.
Shortening the barrel is not realistic on many high performance calibers/magnums, so that is not an option. A 26" barrel 28 Nosler with a 9" "can" is a LONG barrel. That is the biggest factor I am dealing with and in all occasions does create issues casing and uncasing the rifle as there are not cases that accommodate this length (if there is plz point me in a direction). I do not have a QR so on/off takes a little more effort. On horseback or backpack I feel like I should be flying a flag off of it...LOL. Any shorter "can" may also reduce the effectiveness of the NR.
Again, thanks for the replies...I thought I was missing something, but realize now I may just have to deal with it if I want to use it.

Shortening the barrel is always an option. How “high performance” can a round be if it needs 26” to perform? Manufacturers are catching on.

EDIT: I also wouldn’t use a 9” can on a hunting rifle. Something in the 5-7” range will still protect your ears vs. bare muzzle or a brake.

4756BB1C-E6A6-4408-8761-C23E134D40D9.png

Sadler

WKR
I have a suppressed 18” 6.5 PRC (soon to be 16”) shooting 156 grain Bergers at 2750. That’s not even a hot load. Ballistics say it can still kill game at my elevation, 4-5k, out to 800 yards. My limit right now is about 500.

I’m willing to bet you can cut that 28 nosler down to 20”, throw a Nomad Ti or TBAC ultra 7 on it and still be able to reach way out there and kill whatever it is your chasing.