WI fisher trapping

mgray

FNG
I just checked and saw I drew a WI fisher tag. I do plenty of trapping in SW WI, but will travel north for this tag. I plan on checking out state forest land. I did see a guy advertising a guide service for fisher trapping. Anyone have experience with a trapping guide? Especially in WI.

They aren’t hard to catch…… Get you some gusto, and set some traps around it. Lol.

Just set cubbies with 160's, meat bait (beaver, m.rat, venison) skunky lure above set, stinky lure and castor in cubby. cover some ground and you should be fine.

From Price County. If your coming up to trap, I agree with the other guys cover ground with leaning pole sets and gusty. Find cedar swamps with lots of red squirrels and you'll be in a good place. Wish I could draw one, it's been a long time since my last fisher

Rogue Bay

WKR
I just checked and saw I drew a WI fisher tag. I do plenty of trapping in SW WI, but will travel north for this tag. I plan on checking out state forest land. I did see a guy advertising a guide service for fisher trapping. Anyone have experience with a trapping guide? Especially in WI.
That’s high on my bucket list! Unfortunately we don’t have a season here. I’m envious and wish you the best of luck. Please post photos of the adventure!!!

OP
M

mgray

FNG
Thanks guys. I went to the the WTA convention and pickup up a bunch of baits and lures. Going to start in the Flambeau forest west of Phillips. As a side note, if I catch a porcupine, do you case skin it like anything else? We don’t have them in southern WI, so I’ve never caught one.

From Price County. If your coming up to trap, I agree with the other guys cover ground with leaning pole sets and gusty. Find cedar swamps with lots of red squirrels and you'll be in a good place. Wish I could draw one, it's been a long time since my last fisher
What’s gusty?

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
What I do in NY is a dog proof box on the ground with a 160, decent sized chunk of fresh beaver and a bit of some castor based lure in the box. Throw gusto or similar up high. Edges of thick wetland areas with good thick understory’s has treated me well. They’re easy to trap as long as they’re in the area.

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpeg
    IMG_1783.jpeg
    648.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    830 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    925 KB · Views: 46

Rogue Bay

WKR
Thanks guys. I went to the the WTA convention and pickup up a bunch of baits and lures. Going to start in the Flambeau forest west of Phillips. As a side note, if I catch a porcupine, do you case skin it like anything else? We don’t have them in southern WI, so I’ve never caught one.
How did you end up doing?

OP
M

mgray

FNG
I struck out. I spent four days up north early in the season. Finding sign was tough with no snow, but I had 40 sets out. I had a friend who was a little further north and he connected with a nice one. I never found the time to back up, but did fill my bobcat and one otter tag in the southern zone.

Rogue Bay

WKR
I struck out. I spent four days up north early in the season. Finding sign was tough with no snow, but I had 40 sets out. I had a friend who was a little further north and he connected with a nice one. I never found the time to back up, but did fill my bobcat and one otter tag in the southern zone.
I’m sorry to hear you didn’t fill your tag, but it sounds like you had/are still having a good season. Congrats on the bobcat! You guys sure get some dandies up there!