Wild game landjaeger / landjager - who's tried what?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My impression this style of snack stick is in regional pockets around the country (PWN, WI, maybe upper east coast, other?) but I could be wrong.

I've had and enjoyed Linds in WA. I've had the commercially packaged Bavarian Meats ones out of WA, they're good but I thought the Linds was better, plus they don't do game. I haven't had any of the WI sourced stuff yet but would like to change that.

Who's tried what from whom, esp. places that will process wild game?

wytx

WKR
Haven't made our own yet.
We do buy it at 2 meat producers in Texas, Fischer's meat Market and Hess Meats in Muenster.
They will sell the seasoning mix but not the bacterial starter.
Been wanting to try it some time, the products they make in store is good.
Not sure if either will make game landjaeger though.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I may have grabbed some from Owens in Cle Elum before but can't exactly recall, that'd have been somewhere around 2010 timeframe if so.

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Zubers in Monroe, WI makes amazing landjaeger. I just had some last weekend (beef/pork). I just realized they process venison—may have to try some.image.jpg

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Btw Zubers will ship for free if you want to try some seriously good landjaeger.

tops911

FNG
I never found any that compared to the ones in Germany. Man I miss good German landjaeger. I'll have to try some if the places listed above. If I could find a processor to do wild game landjaeger I'd be all over it.

This is sold at Costco in Anchorage, it's a good product.
Landjaeger%20Uncured%20Ind%20%20Wrapped%2016ct%2024oz%201157479cC.jpg

For game processing of landjager made from moose and caribou, I use Alaska Sausage in Anchorage.
It is there Hunter Stick and Pepper Stick.
Hunter sticks and other meat sticks are shelf-stable and require no refrigeration. Meat sticks last 9 months in a sealed vacuum package at room temperature. We recommend that meat sticks be stored either in a freezer or in a cool, dry, dark environment.
German Recipe

Wrench

WKR
I've tried the hemplers and owens at the same time.

The texture of the owens, the fermentation.....it's simply not even like eating the same stuff.

Erict

WKR
I never found any that compared to the ones in Germany. Man I miss good German landjaeger. I'll have to try some if the places listed above. If I could find a processor to do wild game landjaeger I'd be all over it.

63932478560__0B3E1F1F-BA91-4F22-86A5-6C2.jpg

Rolf's Pork in Albany NY does a bunch of venison products using meat you bring in (can't sell wild venison in NY). Their venison landjager is very good, especially after drying in a paper bag in the frige for a few days and warmed to room temp. Their pepperjack hot dogs are the best.

Last edited:
OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Zubers in Monroe, WI makes amazing landjaeger. I just had some last weekend (beef/pork). I just realized they process venison—may have to try some.View attachment 638643
I've found them in my searching and had heard they had shut down for a bit but were back so I was hoping someone here had recent experience. I can order some of theirs online I am aware. Have you tried the cajun or any of the others (iirc italian and a cherry one) or just the original? Thoughts?

Also a local bar here apparently has some available from Bavaria Sausage in Fitchburg, WI (who also does game).

I'd like to get some made. I have work excuses to fly to WA occasionally as one option, I'll also be driving through WI in a couple weeks as another option (but it'll be on a Sat and Bavaria Sausage for instance is closed).

Durran87

Lil-Rokslider
Bavaria’s are good, one of the best venison options out there but not cheap. The Zubers landjaeger are better. I’ve only had regular but the reviews online say the Cherry are great. I bought an individual pair last week in New Glarus for $6, so those packs they will ship are a fair price.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Nothing beats a good, tangy WI Landjaeger. The Bavarian Meats product out here in Seattle are pretty good too. I can't believe I've never been to Zubers. I have sisters that live in Evansville, Albany and Orfordville. Will check it out next time I'm there.

Last edited:
OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bavaria’s are good, one of the best venison options out there but not cheap. The Zubers landjaeger are better. I’ve only had regular but the reviews online say the Cherry are great. I bought an individual pair last week in New Glarus for $6, so those packs they will ship are a fair price.
Lol you should see the prices out PWN, the WI prices for game landjaeger is more budget friendly.

If you're vouching on Zubers I may take a flier on them, their site says they're open Sat 8-10am, I'd need to call an confirm that includes Dec 23rd, if so I have some nice clean trim meat from a mulie available I could drop off.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Following up, I tried some Zubers on my trip which I enjoyed both the regular and cajun. I swung into a store that was supposed to have Bavarian but the shelf was empty where the landjaeger was supposed to be.