Wilderness Portions and Leftovers

Rock-o

WKR
I hunt solo and struggle with eating too much or wasting food at breakfast. For example, Peak Refuel Sausage Gravy and Biscuits is one of my favorites, but package is two servings. While I can, and sometimes do, eat both servings I don't want to eat that much in the morning. Conversely, if I don't eat it I know it will go to waste. Do you folks have leftovers and how do you deal with them so they are not wasted? "Lunch" is not a problem, nor is dinner.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have leftovers. Why don't you take the leftovers with you and have a second breakfast. You just need a spoon right?

Last edited:
OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
I don't have leftovers. Why don't you take the leftovers with you have a second breakfast. You just need a spoon right?

Yes, just a spoon. I suppose I'm being stupidly/erroneously overly cautious. I don't really want to shit my pants or, worse, get sick if I'm solo. If I'm being dumb I can handle being told that and to simply zip up the bag and move on.

OP
R

Rock-o

WKR
Recommend splitting the meals and repackaging into appropriate portions for your appetite and desired caloric intake prior to the season. Lots of aftermarket food bags out there.

Aha, I hadn't thought about a pre-season/trip prep like that.

Mark resolved.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I did get sick of mt house biscuits and gravy. I don’t remember how long it was sitting I would never try to reuse after that. I toss anything I can’t eat at the time I cook

Have a bar and small coffee or light breakfast, hunt , then eat a bigger brunch after your morning hunt. I need a little bit of food in my belly but don't like to get bogged down before starting to hunt. Then I like to eat when I get really hungry after walking a bit. Have your glass ready and hunt while you have brunch. Since we are talking backpacking food, I assume we are talking earlier seasons..... the hot part of mid day is time for nap for me.