Wildlife reintroduction - why only predators?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Today we see a very strong push for wildlife reintroduction, which is nearly always focused on predators. I understand that a lot of this is being funded and advocates for by anti-hunting groups who want to put these predators on the landscape to reduce cervid populations and remove opportunities from hunters.

It seems like hunters are always just playing defense. How can we go on the offense and advocate for more restoration of native species to their historic range? I’m thinking of animals like bighorn sheep, elk, and possibly bison. Today, these animals occupy a tiny fraction of their historic range and if replaced would create massive hunting opportunities. As an example, in my home state of NV, bighorn sheep are only occupying less than 25% of their historic range and suitable habitat. This is honestly the only real solution I see to the biggest issue facing hunting today, too much demand. We have so many people fighting for these tags and the quality of hunting is generally diminishing because of it.

To summarize, these are my questions.

Why are predators all that get talked about for reintroduction?

Should we be advocating for restoration of sheep, elk, bison and other animals to their historic ranges?

How can we take action to advocate for this in a way that could truly be impactful?

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
the farm bureau would shit their pants, imagine bringing elk back to their historic prairie range.. Hunting and wildlife will always be losers when it comes to big ag.

Today we see a very strong push for wildlife reintroduction, which is nearly always focused on predators. I understand that a lot of this is being funded and advocates for by anti-hunting groups who want to put these predators on the landscape to reduce cervid populations and remove opportunities from hunters.

It seems like hunters are always just playing defense. How can we go on the offense and advocate for more restoration of native species to their historic range? I’m thinking of animals like bighorn sheep, elk, and possibly bison. Today, these animals occupy a tiny fraction of their historic range and if replaced would create massive hunting opportunities. As an example, in my home state of NV, bighorn sheep are only occupying less than 25% of their historic range and suitable habitat. This is honestly the only real solution I see to the biggest issue facing hunting today, too much demand. We have so many people fighting for these tags and the quality of hunting is generally diminishing because of it.

To summarize, these are my questions.

Why are predators all that get talked about for reintroduction?

Should we be advocating for restoration of sheep, elk, bison and other animals to their historic ranges?

How can we take action to advocate for this in a way that could truly be impactful?
You have to ask! The answer is staring you right at you. They want to end hunting and livestock production!

sndmn11

WKR
All the states without elk should restore the populations, that would be great.

I think pure wild bison are about all that is left for widely missing herbivores.

It has always been interesting to me the number of non-native species that have been introduced for hunting.

They reintroduced Elk from Kentucky back into WI a few decades ago. Believe it or not, WI actually has an Elk season now as a result.

I’m not sure about any other states but i’m sure WI can’t be the only one to do such a thing? I’m thinking the predators come with more fanfare, controversy, and media coverage so they’re more visible. But i’m not certain of that.

wesfromky

WKR
There are ongoing efforts to reintroduce elk all over the east. Sonoran pronghorn breeding and release. Turkey's were nearly wiped out, and they are now back in most states. Whitetail are becoming over populated in some places. Just a few examples, but there are many more, you just don't hear people bitch on hunting forums about those.

And, if you think ranchers hate wolves, just wait until you find out how they feel about free ranging bison.

go_deep

WKR
Same reason there is a full on attack against trapping and predator hunting. It's all in the same game plan, reduce or eliminate hunting. Most won't care about hunting rights, or even gun rights when there's no hunting seasons or licenses to draw.

I didn't care of you've never trapped a day in your life, or predator hunted. Get or there and support those that do, that's the first thing the anti groups attach in every state, we're even seeing it right here in Wyoming.

KHNC

WKR
Well, NC restored elk into an area that is a bear sanctuary. Really smart move. Now the bears have plenty of elk calves to eat and the state just cant understand why the elk population is growing at such a slow rate.

OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Since we all know that that bison and elk are very destructive and can be contentious because of that I think they easily distract the conversation. Sheep are the ones that I think we see occupying the smallest potion of suitable habitat in many states and have the biggest demand for hunting. They are not destructive generally but do need cooperation and coordination from farmers and ranchers to prevent interactions with domestic sheep. Sheep seem like the low hanging fruit for continuous reintroduction but the pace at which it’s done seems very slow. Is it possible or reasonable to do reintroduction at a greater rate than we are today? I know getting enough animals to use for reintroducing could be an issue.

wesfromky

WKR
Since we all know that that bison and elk are very destructive and can be contentious because of that I think they easily distract the conversation. Sheep are the ones that I think we see occupying the smallest potion of suitable habitat in many states and have the biggest demand for hunting. They are not destructive generally but do need cooperation and coordination from farmers and ranchers to prevent interactions with domestic sheep. Sheep seem like the low hanging fruit for continuous reintroduction but the pace at which it’s done seems very slow. Is it possible or reasonable to do reintroduction at a greater rate than we are today? I know getting enough animals to use for reintroducing could be an issue.
Just google bighorn sheep reintroduction - there are several programs out there. You just don't hear about them. And, it isn't anti-hunters that are against them - it is nearly always ranchers, sheep producers, etc.

I think there are a lot of efforts Sheep are tough because they are low in numbers. But seems like states are always trying to add more. But hard to add more when don’t have a big crop. It also cost a lot of money.

On the other end of it. The antis are always trying to introduce predators because I think they want to ultimately end hunting. But maybe that is conspiracy theory

OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are a lot of efforts Sheep are tough because they are low in numbers. But seems like states are always trying to add more. But hard to add more when don’t have a big crop. It also cost a lot of money.

On the other end of it. The antis are always trying to introduce predators because I think they want to ultimately end hunting. But maybe that is conspiracy theory
Definitely not a conspiracy. They want populations to self manage and leave no harvestable surplus for us.

Become a member of the RMEF to help elk specifically. They are constantly helping state game & fish departments do feasibility studies and have helped quite a few eastern states restore and/or expand their elk herds in the last 20 years.

mjh

FNG
Saw a few elk while traveling through Wisconsin this past winter. MN has two elk areas and there are planning discussions to add a third area. MN does have limited elk hunting.

I would think bison would be difficult. Lots of fenced acreage in their former range. Free roaming unfenced bison outside of national and state parks would be interesting to be sure.

It’s not just predators, it’s just that predators are all that gets talked about on this sub-forum, and they tend to make the news more because of how polarizing they are. Arkansas (and many other eastern states) reintroduced elk fairly recently, Missouri has done grouse reintroductions, Texas is reintroducing Eastern Wild turkeys, lots of states have reintroduced various native fish (brook trout, Guadalupe bass, Neosho bass). Out west there’s attempts to reintroduce large grazers (often by the same groups that are pro-wolf) but as others have said, the ranchers usually are against it.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with sheep is finding suitable habitat that has no likelihood of contact with domestic sheep or goats. No point dumping $$$$ and bighorns somewhere that they will just end up infected with m. ovi from domestics and die from pneumonia.

There are bison reintroductions happening. Utah took some and put them in the book cliffs about 15 years ago. Alaska is starting a new wood bison population this summer out in Minto Flats. Quite a few reservations are working on reestablishing bison herds too.

It’s a good question. I’ve thought about that myself, but the other guys brought up a good point that it is happening in spots, which is great.

Here in Idaho, I can’t figure out why nobody bat an eye in 2017 when the last few caribou in the continental US were relocated to Canada instead of an effort to bolster the herd before they were gone. Its like it came and went and no one cared at all.

OP
LostWapiti

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with sheep is finding suitable habitat that has no likelihood of contact with domestic sheep or goats. No point dumping $$$$ and bighorns somewhere that they will just end up infected with m. ovi from domestics and die from pneumonia.

There are bison reintroductions happening. Utah took some and put them in the book cliffs about 15 years ago. Alaska is starting a new wood bison population this summer out in Minto Flats. Quite a few reservations are working on reestablishing bison herds too.
Agreed on the “now” suitable habitat issue due to m ovi and domestic sheep. How can we push to get those domestic sheep out of otherwise prime sheep habitat?

Spoonbill

WKR
It’s a good question. I’ve thought about that myself, but the other guys brought up a good point that it is happening in spots, which is great.

Here in Idaho, I can’t figure out why nobody bat an eye in 2017 when the last few caribou in the continental US were relocated to Canada instead of an effort to bolster the herd before they were gone. Its like it came and went and no one cared at all.
I listened to a podcast (Meateater I think) on it and short version was that Idaho couldn’t get animals to bolster the herd so the only viable solution was to send the remaining animals to Canada to preserve the genetics. I can try and find it and post it for those interested.