• Synthetic Fiber

Votes: 21 15.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheCougar

WKR
Got to go with merino wool for the base layers just for the scent control. As long as the bottoms zip off!

Shraggs

WKR
Love merino wool! Especially the odor reducing ability over days. It’s warm and comfortable, but also has cooling abilities if it gets warm.

I must have 4 or 5 brands, they’re all good. My must comfy when cold is the kiln.

Wish there was a a way to vote for second favorite... silk is underrated! Better wicking and less absorbent then wool, warm for its weight!

I can take a set of thin silk for very little weight snd less bulk than a heavy wool set, and if it turns cold layer it under my light or medium weight wool and add lots of warmth and improved wicking actually.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Merino is light, comfy, quiet, keeps you cool, warm, and less stinky. Love my Kanab pants and am looking to replace all my old Core4E base layers.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
Merino wool, in the back country I want 10+ day performance, minimal stink retention and no wet dog smell, super comfortable, quick drying but there's more to it than the just the material, the garment needs a raised collar, quarter zip, long tails and sleeves and a reinforced lumbar area. When someone finds this garment let me know!

Catchfish

WKR
I love the way it doesn’t stink like synthetics. I wish it was tougher for what it normally costs but I hunt for deals and try different brands.

Merino... Started off with socks, love the no stink. Then converted all my baselayers to merino. Synthetic seemed to develop some sort of odd smell, even if it didn't necessarily 'stink'.

Favorite piece is the Kuiu 145 zip off bottoms. Love not having to take off shoes to remove and I use them (with the proper pant) from below freezing temps upward.

I choose Merino because it works so we’ll. My Darn Tough and Farm tonFeet socks I can wear several times in a row without washing them. It has to be a good quality piece though. I have a couple different merino tops and one is kind of itchy and doesn’t fit well. The other has been great but is getting pretty worn out. I was just looking at these Skre options the other day. I’d be excited to give one a try. I haven’t gotten to wear a merino blend yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I tried Merino wool after reading about it here. Now it is all I wear and all of my Under Armor stays at home when I go hunting.

Roy68

WKR
Merino Wool for a long time now. I’ve started switching over to Merino blends as other pieces wear out. The blends do dry faster but don’t seem to sacrifice the plusses of merino for me. A lot less funk factor as well. I do wear synthetics (Sitka mostly) over the top.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Merino for base layer tops for several reasons.

1. A looser fit sleeve (unlike poly compression stuff) doesn’t irritate my hairy arms
2. Merino doesn’t get wet and clammy
3. I prefer the lightweight/thin fabrics for comfort, yet even a thin merino is extremely warm as a base layer
4. In warm weather, the merino breathes better on me and doesn’t feel as hot as synthetics