Winchester Model 70 300 WSM Stock Change

Hello, I have a Walmart Special, Winchester Model 70 300 WSM Synthetic stock, "blind magazine". My question is, can I buy an aftermarket stock that is designed for a removable magazine and a new floor plate that accepts magazines and convert this rifle? I really like the accuracy of the rifle and the smooth short action. but i hate the stock and the blind magazine. does anyone have any suggestions.

ODB

WKR
I don’t think this would be an issue. Winchester isn’t making different actions for different stocks. You just need to make sure you get the proper size magazine box for the WSM. Check with Midwest gunworks. I forget if the WSMs came out after Winchester changed to a one-piece floor plate or if some of them had a two-piece. That will be important to match up the stock you are looking at and the bottom metal style. A one-piece bottom metal will not fit in a stock made for two-piece. I have two HS precision stocks and they are made for two-piece.

OP
B
I don’t think this would be an issue. Winchester isn’t making different actions for different stocks. You just need to make sure you get the proper size magazine box for the WSM. Check with Midwest gunworks. I forget if the WSMs came out after Winchester changed to a one-piece floor plate or if some of them had a two-piece. That will be important to match up the stock you are looking at and the bottom metal style. A one-piece bottom metal will not fit in a stock made for two-piece. I have two HS precision stocks and they are made for two-piece.
This rifle looks like it has a separate piece for the trigger guard and a fake floor plate for the magazine well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-22 074135.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-22 074135.png
    327.8 KB · Views: 37

ODB

WKR
Yeah, you’ll need an entirely new bottom metal - there should be a mag box in your stock already. At Midwest gunworks you are looking at about 175$.That’s plus your stock. Midwest shows them as one-piece, so you have to make sure your stock will accept a one-piece.

Just a word of warning from experience, these simple conversions usually have hidden gems that add up $$$$

Thats interesting, didn't know such a thing existed. I have the same gun, ended up ditching the original stock for an hogue stock and maintained the original trap door floor plate. I was having issues with the original stock torqueing and contacting the barrel when I used a bipod.
That actually looks like the one I've got. Its inletted for a heavy barrel, but it looks like it comes with the bottom metal you'd need for the magazine, which at the price point might help a person overlook the aesthetics.

That almost looks like the same thing............ but you'd have to sleuth it to figure out of thats what you're trying to do.

Last edited: