Wind direction and calling...

Minute 6:00 seems a bit counter intuitive. Seems like hunter scent cone would have completely filled that clearing (of course depending on size of clearing and thermals) with wind directly at his back. I get that the bull will circle up and want to walk into wind, but I'd imagine they wouldn't mind walking slightly across wind.

In scenario illustrated at 6:00... wouldn't BEST wind (assume hunter's theoretical vantage point has him looking due N from that line) be from SW?

I don't pay that much attention to the wind...it's one variable out of many, whether it's the dominant one could be argued forever. If you're seeing willows, cows, elevated sightlines (moose just plain like hills) with adjacent thick cover, moose paths, evidence of raking, etc., then you're in a sweet spot. They really don't seem to like moving in high winds/rain too much, the theory is they get spooky when it's harder to hear...times like that you gotta get down on their trails and try jumping them out of their beds. Can be brutal but sometimes it pays off.

Jimss

WKR
The outfitter obviously has a lot of experience with moose calling and moose behavior in his area. I would consider a moose's nose his best line of defense. I would think the outfitter's scenario works great in super large meadows similar to the video. When hunting small meadows it may not work if the moose smells you when he gets to the edge of the meadow?

More times than not I've had moose come to the edge of meadows and just stare and listen. Waiting for something that really gets their blood pumping. Whacking and scraping a tree truck and limbs....and maybe even some bull grunts may be just enough to get the bull to commit to coming closer. A cow decoy may also help? If he smells you....it likely is end of story!

OP
P
The outfitter obviously has a lot of experience with moose calling and moose behavior in his area. I would consider a moose's nose his best line of defense. I would think the outfitter's scenario works great in super large meadows similar to the video. When hunting small meadows it may not work if the moose smells you when he gets to the edge of the meadow?

More times than not I've had moose come to the edge of meadows and just stare and listen. Waiting for something that really gets their blood pumping. Whacking and scraping a tree truck and limbs....and maybe even some bull grunts may be just enough to get the bull to commit to coming closer. A cow decoy may also help? If he smells you....it likely is end of story!

SUPER large area....

I agree.. As in SUPER large. Seemed to me like calling dead downwind was just a bit odd. I've never gone after a moose, but his technique seemed a bit counterintuitive to what little I do know for sure. Glad I'm not missing something in my prep.

AKDoc

WKR
I've never seen that video, but I'm also not a big youtube guy. He seems pretty excited about what he does and calls himself "the moose whisperer". He does make a few good points, and I wish him well.

That said, I don't set-up to call with the wind to my back. When the wind is a factor from the get go, I'm pretty much always setting up to be calling into the wind. It is true that moose often want to circle around to approach from down wind, and I have turned around numerous times to see a moose directly behind me, especially during still wind moments. However, once a moose smells you, it's over and they are gone very quickly.

A couple of additional points not covered thus far. I don't cup my hands to call. I like using something to help direct and project my call. I've got a moose "bull magnet" that I've had for many years, which shows lots of wear on it primarily from scraping. They are great to scrape with and use when calling. Mine was a gift, and prior to that I simply used an antifreeze jug with the bottom cut-out...that also scrapes real well too and can be used when calling.

Moose are so good at figuring out exactly where you are when calling...from really far away. When using something to direct and project your call, you can turn and call 90 degrees, which I have done quite a few times and it has thrown the bull off in a good way for me. The bull I took last year sky-lighted on a small hill about 700 yards out, upwind from me and from the direction I had been calling. He came to me, but I had to turn him twice by directing my call to keep him coming my way instead of circling. The wind was my friend and I shot him at last light at about forty yards...from my tent.

Last point, with moose it is all about their nose. In my opinion, the worse thing you can do is begin hiking all around your hunting area. I'm not a sit around guy. I like to move, and see what's on the other side of that hill. However, when hunting, especially moose hunting, I've got to keep telling myself not to do that...and in the end it pays off.

Last edited:
Since this is a calling thread I'll post this question here:

Recently I ran into a very prominent and famous person in the outdoor entertainment industry and we talked for a little bit about my upcoming moose hunt. He is the first person I have met and talked to in person that has been on DIY moose hunts in AK. In all the books, forums, and videos I have watched I have not heard or read this little tip he gave, what says you experienced guys...

He said to "Wake up and call every few hours from the tent throughout the night, not just limiting calling to mostly morning and evenings." Does anyone do this or know guys who do it? If you do are you raking brush or just cow calling or both?

He said to "Wake up and call every few hours from the tent throughout the night, not just limiting calling to mostly morning and evenings." Does anyone do this or know guys who do it? If you do are you raking brush or just cow calling or both?

I might be a tad skeptical of an outdoor entertainment type of guy, BUT the truth is that moose do move at night and I have heard cows bawling in the night several times. However, I'm not going to sacrifice sleep in order to call every couple hours. I often call just as I retire, or as soon as I wake up and exit the sleeping bag. Here's a funny scenario that really happened:

We had just settled into our sleeping bags when my partner heard a bull grunt in the distance. He gave off a couple soft cow calls and we listened. The bull grunted and started walking. It was of course dark outside, so we just laid quietly and listened. I could hear steady grunting and then big branches popping and snapping. The bull came right into camp. We slipped to the door and unzipped it. I stepped out and shined a very bright led beam straight into the face of a real behemoth....easily past 60" wide and just 10 yards away from me. I wasn't all that thrilled with his aggressive posture but....damn....he was fine to look at. Eventually he walked away and we never saw him again.

Anyway...if you call from camp at night....I would keep it to a few cow calls. No sense inviting a fight. I have a couple friends who actually had a moose step on the edge of their tipi and cut the fabric. Right Steve?

We had something similar happen 4 years ago where we had one trip a guy line on our tent while we were sleeping. You could hear him feet away from the tent breathing heavy. We were by a lake with bear highways and salmon everywhere so at the time we were not sure if it was a bear so we didn't investigate. Found his tracks the next morning and called him back into camp within a half hour of sunrise.

I agree that the hardest part of moose hunting for me is to just sit still, call, and glass. It's in my nature to want to check everything out. Obviously this is for scent control, but at the same time I think about that moose that came into camp. That was day 5 and we had clothes hanging in camp and several bathroom trees he walked right over. There are always outliers to any "rule".......