Wind-hold vs dial windage

What are the advantages of holding for wind with a FFP vs dialing with a SFP or FFP? I’m trying to decide if a SFP with exposed windage would “get the job done” without giving too much up to a FFP. The low power reticle is often an advantage in the jungle of north/western Idaho.

As previously determined, holding wind with a SFP is out the window. And, all elevation will be dialed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
The sfp isn't as handicapping as you may think, the reticle is calibrated at one magnification...let's say a 24x scope will be at 24. At 12x the value doubles.

Now interpret that in a hunting scope....if you click a bull at 830yds and the solution comes in at 1mil of wind are you going to shoot at 18x vs 24?

Let's say you forgot to dial up the power from 18 and you held your 1mil. Your call will be off approximately 10". 10" is the difference between 7mph and 10mph wind. Can you call it that close over the terrain?

Moral being that at extended ranges we're going to need everything our equipment can bring to the table plus a whole lot of thinking.

Now for another scenario, you're 200 yards away in flat light and heavy cover. A buck stands up and has you pegged. He's going to hang tight for seconds at best. You have your scope dialed down to 4 to 6 power to maximize it's field of view for these conditions. You throw up on the deer. Which reticle gives you the best odds of getting on target before this is a memory?

The equipment we choose is a compromise at best.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Holding wind is safer/fool proof, but dialing is potentially more accurate.

I've never seen anyone hold wind in the wrong direction (other than for misreading it) where as have seen people dial wind the wrong way multiple times.
You also have the potential of forgetting you have dialed in some wind after taking a shot and then messing up future shots with it pre-dialed.
It's also a bit easier to make adjustments as the wind changes with holding.

My preference is always for an FFP scope either capped windage. I'd consider a SFP with a max magnification less than 12x, as anymore than that you are tempted to use the reticle on less than max magnification, which while not impossible is definitely prone to error.

I prefer holding Wind with capped windage turret so that i never have to double check or worry about my windage dial after hiking

eric1115

WKR
Multiple good reasons to hold wind. Easy to hold into the wind, easy to dial the wrong direction. Easy to adjust wind hold while in the scope reading changing wind conditions, harder to add/remove on the dial (especially for right handed shooter with the turret on the opposite side). Easy to accidentally leave correction on the gun after the shot (or not shot but set up for one).

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Multiple good reasons to hold wind. Easy to hold into the wind, easy to dial the wrong direction. Easy to adjust wind hold while in the scope reading changing wind conditions, harder to add/remove on the dial (especially for right handed shooter with the turret on the opposite side). Easy to accidentally leave correction on the gun after the shot (or not shot but set up for one).
perfect comment here^

I have to think more with SFP
I have to think more when dialing wind

Thinking less is better. FFP is better.

Caveat being the low power visibility of reticles. Which I think is a greatly overblown subject along with the need for illumination