Winter Food Sources

Megastink

Lil-Rokslider
I'm hunting eastern PA woods (not ag land) and was wondering what woodland food sources I should be focusing on through January? There are some oaks, but I don't think the Acorns are good anymore. Plenty of greenbrier everywhere. maybe someone knows of some grasses that I could take a look at. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can pass along some wisdom. Thanks in advance!

Red oak acorns should still be good as they ripen later in the season and become more palatable to deer. The white oaks are probably shot. Just found this quote from the PA Gazette.

"Most experienced hunters can identify acorn-producing oaks, and walnut trees and grapevines are easy to spot, but many don’t know the shrubs and vines that deer eat during the late hunting seasons. In winter through much of the American Northeast, whitetails look for patches of Virginia creeper, multiflora rose, surmac, winterberry and poison ivy."

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
Any clear cut with low growing brush will be browsed on. Basically any area that has a lot of buds/branch ends within reach. White cedar is a favorite if there’s any around along with conifers for winter thermal cover.

Yoder

WKR
Last few weeks deer have been digging for acorns from red oaks in my area. I also hunt NE PA.