Winter sleeping bag

What do you guys recommend for a winter sleeping bag? I have my eyes on the North Face -20 inferno sleeping bag. Thoughts on this one? I use the North Face cat's meow bag for most of my fall hunts and it has held up great over the years, so that is sort of why I was looking at the Inferno. Any others I should consider as well?

I mainly need a new bag for early spring bear hunts and for a upcoming caribou hunt in Feb/March time frame.

I've heard really good things about Wiggy's bags and they are on sale right now. Have not tried them myself, but am also needing to upgrade and thinking I will try one.

Marmot CWM. Might be overkill for you, but I've slept out to -37º in it before and was perfectly comfortable. Western Mountaineering bags are really nice too as are Feathered Friends bags.

I've heard really good things about Wiggy's bags and they are on sale right now. Have not tried them myself, but am also needing to upgrade and thinking I will try one.

I've be sleeping in Wiggy's Bags since early '90's with no complaints OR cold nights whatsoever - the more I wash them the better they get

Wiggy's is what we usually use for true winter camping as well. I have a 0 deg super light, as well as the over bag which brings the temp rating to -30 degrees when you use them together. I have slept in in down to the -30's and been comfortable, albeit with lots of clothes/hat/insulated booties. I do sleep cold. Not the lightest set up by any means, and it is bulky, but it's worth it to have a bag system I can depend on in temps that low. I also like that the synthetic insulation manages condensation well and stays warm even when wet. I have a hard time not tucking my face into my bag when I sleep in cold temps, so moisture inside the bag is an issue. Most of our winter camping trips are via snow machine (that's snow mobile for you lower 48 folks :)) anyway, so the weight and bulk is less of an issue, but I have backpacked the Wiggy's bag more than once and it's been worth it.

I have a feathered friends 0 degree bag, and if its its real cold I use an army issue synthetic bag as an over-bag think its a wiggys. The setup works well for me and is pretty versatile. I also double up my pads with a closed cell foam pad and an air pad it helps a lot.

Lots of good info. Much appreciated everyone. I ended up going with a Feathered Friends bag. I'll be trying it out here soon.

Wiggy's is what we usually use for true winter camping as well. I have a 0 deg super light, as well as the over bag which brings the temp rating to -30 degrees when you use them together. I have slept in in down to the -30's and been comfortable, albeit with lots of clothes/hat/insulated booties. I do sleep cold. Not the lightest set up by any means, and it is bulky, but it's worth it to have a bag system I can depend on in temps that low. I also like that the synthetic insulation manages condensation well and stays warm even when wet. I have a hard time not tucking my face into my bag when I sleep in cold temps, so moisture inside the bag is an issue. Most of our winter camping trips are via snow machine (that's snow mobile for you lower 48 folks :)) anyway, so the weight and bulk is less of an issue, but I have backpacked the Wiggy's bag more than once and it's been worth it.

Becca how it pack down(wiggys 0 deg super light alone not with the over bag)??

FF was standard issue when I was with 19SFG years ago (90s). It came with a vapor barrier and served me well. I imagine the upgrades in the last 20 years have only made it better and you will not be disappointed if you take the precautions to keep it dry. I currently sport a WM and have no complaints. I am all about light weight now that my knees are so old and worn out. My NF bags are still serviceable but I only use them for car camping now.

Becca how it pack down(wiggys 0 deg super light alone not with the over bag)??

Not as well as a down bag, but it's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. You'd think a Wiggy's is 3,000 ci compressed and it's not. My Wiggy's zeros pack down to size comparable, though maybe very slightly larger than a zero synthetic bag. They are bigger...they are. But they're a bigger bag with more material and they're not at all size-prohibitive in a pack. I compress mine in a 15L dry sack with room to spare. I could probably get it in a 12L if I had a 12L sack.

Back