WM Kodiak or badger

jtdowns81

FNG
Hey Everyone!!

I am doing a fly in hunt into the Frank Church Wilderness in mid November. I am a cold sleeper and not sure if I should go with the wm Kodiak or badger. I will be bringing in a Kifaru lost parka and some type of puffy pant, so I'm not sure if the Kodiak would be over kill. I am also considering the zero degree slick bag. I don't want to be under prepared since there is no walking back to the truck lol!

ahlgringo

WKR
Kodiak and dont look back. Had all 3 of those bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kodiak is a furnace.
Badger is nice but no where near as warm.
Not even close.
No experience with slik.
If you want warm you want the kodiak

Any chance of heavy rain or soaking your bag? I’d take the 0* Slick bag if bailing out isn’t an option.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Any chance of heavy rain or soaking your bag? I’d take the 0* Slick bag if bailing out isn’t an option.

If weight was the main concern would you still say the same? Just love to know as I’m also looking into the Marmot Lithium or WM Kodiak...I have a bunch of Kifaru but figured the weight savings may be worth the extra $ buuuut thoughts?

If weight was the main concern would you still say the same? Just love to know as I’m also looking into the Marmot Lithium or WM Kodiak...I have a bunch of Kifaru but figured the weight savings may be worth the extra $ buuuut thoughts?

That's the million dollar question and a Super personal choice.

I plot and plan all year long for a couple of Sept archery elk hunts and the thought of being run off the mountain by a down bag "issue" makes me look passed the extra 1.5# weight difference between my 0* slick bag and a 0* WM down bag. As much as I'd love to save the weight I don't have to worry about my bag failing and peace of mind is a big thing to me.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
That's the million dollar question and a Super personal choice.

I plot and plan all year long for a couple of Sept archery elk hunts and the thought of being run off the mountain by a down bag "issue" makes me look passed the extra 1.5# weight difference between my 0* slick bag and a 0* WM down bag. As much as I'd love to save the weight I don't have to worry about my bag failing and peace of mind is a big thing to me.

Does the Slick still have the compressibility that you see with many down bags? I run a Kelty Dualist which was cheap at the time but does not compress very well IMO on the hunts....with peace of mind your referring to is that to say you can run the slick in super damp wet conditions with being able to continue your hunts?

ahlgringo

WKR
The threat of drenching a down bag is largely theoretical. There was a long thread on here not too long ago asking “who has this actually happened to?”

It was very few- unless you are gonna be in a raft through whitewater, doesnt/wouldnt concern me much- thats what I have a tent/tarp/rain gear/ bag for. But.. if it worries you that much, I would still get a kodiak- just maybe the gws version.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
The threat of drenching a down bag is largely theoretical. There was a long thread on here not too long ago asking “who has this actually happened to?”

It was very few- unless you are gonna be in a raft through whitewater, doesnt/wouldnt concern me much- thats what I have a tent/tarp/rain gear/ bag for. But.. if it worries you that much, I would still get a kodiak- just maybe the gws version.

GWS? Like Goretex/windstop?

Schism

WKR
My thoughts have always been that if conditions are such that require a 0F bag, any rain that falls will be in the form of snow. Then the more pertinent question becomes whether my shelter can handle a snow load.

OP
J

jtdowns81

FNG
Thank you everyone for the feed back. I decided to go with the Kodiak! Can't wait to use it this Nov!

bozeman

WKR
I am about 98% on the 5 degree antelope.......seems to be the sweet spot for me. I appreciate all of the info and thanks to the OP for asking this.....

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I am about 98% on the 5 degree antelope.......seems to be the sweet spot for me. I appreciate all of the info and thanks to the OP for asking this.....
I picked up the antelope recently and it seems pretty damn legit. I’ve used a WM bag for probably 8 years and have always been happy. One thing to note on the antelope...it is a little more tight. If you haven’t used a mummy bag much, this could be something that bothers you.

Fly In, using a guide or private service? I'm curious if private is an option.

I've looked at the Kodiak but the Badger from Hermit will probably work because I don't think a Nov hunt is in the books for me.

Best of luck keeping warm and with your hunt

OP
J

jtdowns81

FNG
Fly In, using a guide or private service? I'm curious if private is an option.

I've looked at the Kodiak but the Badger from Hermit will probably work because I don't think a Nov hunt is in the books for me.

Best of luck keeping warm and with your hunt
We are using a private service to fly in. They will drop us off and once we are there we are on our own!