wolves attacking elk in wintering grounds

NoWiser

WKR
Ok, but the difference is that no one lives in Nothern Minnesota, and it's flat.

Deer have plenty of places to go and hide and eat.

Colorado- only options for elk are valleys and too many have too many houses in them for the elk to feel safe and able to find food and overwinter. And too many of the other valleys are overgrazed by by cattle.

JL
My comment had nothing to do with Colorado. It was only in response to the quoted post which eluded to all Minnesotans thinking wolves are good for nothing.

mwebs

WKR

We have turned them into cattle.

MR5X5

FNG
With all the various types of encroachment out there, there really are very few natural place left in nature today. We selectively choose to manage all sort of things from housing to roads to hunting. That we have decided not to manage wolves in any way in many areas is a head scratcher. Sure, a new equilibrium will eventually be achieved, but I suspect it will take a generation. That said, it will look nothing like the nature of the past the hopeless romantics are trying to recapture. I suspect it will be a future with much less wildlife, wolves and otherwise. Truly saddening.

MR5X5

FNG
Wolves were brought back for two reasons. To End hunting and to hurt the livestock industry. That simple!
I tend to agree. But something seems missing in that? End hunting as a means to a gun grab maybe?? IDK...? Sierra Club types and the rest of the well intentioned but otherwise uninformed voting public are little more than useful idiots to the power with the agenda.

Last edited:

mwebs

WKR
No one picks up on the fact that there’s tractors in the background and we forced elk into this small area and feed them so we can hunt them? The wolf is in the wrong for exploiting a situation we created? Obviously I won’t get sympathy on this forum I’m just saying it’s crazy how we can’t take responsibility for our own actions.

tjihrig

FNG
No one picks up on the fact that there’s tractors in the background and we forced elk into this small area and feed them so we can hunt them? The wolf is in the wrong for exploiting a situation we created? Obviously I won’t get sympathy on this forum I’m just saying it’s crazy how we can’t take responsibility for our own actions.

That’s all the more reason for management. The landscape has in fact changed. Also a good argument for delisting of species from ESA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk