Woman’s shotguns

Tradchef

WKR
So I was wanting to get some opinions on a shotgun for my lady for skeet and upland. She doesn’t have any experience upland hunting but wants to get into it so we can do a bit more together aside from big game and I’m all for it. I’m not a very big guy so I know how important it can be and how hard it can be to find a shotgun that fits properly. What do you all suggest to look at for models that would fit the bill. Looking for an O/U but I’m not ruling out a semi either. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Scott

Bluefish

WKR
As you said it’s all about fit. I would try to find a club that rents shotguns first, then have her try shouldering different guns. You might even need a fitting after buying to get it just right. I have found I need different length of pull for upland hunting depending on time of year and how I am dressed. Hunting in a t shirt vs a full winter coat. I might even suggest a semi auto for hunting and o/u for clays. Lighter and cheaper for hunting and a heavier durable gun for clays.
For skeet and upland a 28“ o/u would work well. Beretta 68x and browning 7xx are all good entry level clay guns. Don’t be afraid to buy used on these, they will last for lots of rounds.
lots of good choices for SA in a 26” for field work. Would probably go 20ga just to be lighter and will still get the job done. The tristars are a copy of the older beretta 390 action. Weatherby released the same guns under their name as well. I have one in 28ga. Nice little gun and was sub $600.
The cheaper $500 o/u are fine for an occasional hunt, but won’t hold up to regular clay use. Also quality can be hit or miss. You will see a lot of these in used racks, not a place I would spend my $$.
higher quality Turkish guns would be the CZ’s. Seem to be ok, but you can probably get a used 68x or browning 725 for similar money and have a better gun.

fwiw my wife shoots a 12 ga 686 beretta with a taller rib and adjustable comb to match. Had to add the rib to get the right fit. She routinely shoots better scores than I do.

VernAK

WKR
When I taught women shotgun classes I struggled finding a fit for many women.

First, as willtim says, determine eye dominance. I found far more cross eye dominance in women than in men.

Then I ask them to cheek the gun with head slightly forward and upright. If the shotgun fits, the butt should be properly positioned on the shoulder.....with that head up, forward and the stock cheeked. That will work with the majority of men but the minority of women. Stock fitting starts from there.

If the lady, positions her head back and away from the action, the shotgun is too long or too heavy.

I have had a few tell me their boobs were too big and, in the way, but that was not in my scope of work.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
I’m in the same boat. I’m a smaller guy, super fit but just shorter in the arms and small frame. Most adult shotguns mainly pumps are just a touch too big for me to get that comfortable fit and most youth stocks are a touch too short. So it’s always been a freaking process finding that one.