Worried about theft back at the truck while hunting?

Planning a hunt to MT this fall and hiking back in for a few days to a week at a time. We will have camp on our back but I like to pack the truck with all the extra stuff like coolers, chain saw, truck camping and so on. Has anyone worried or encounter their trucks getting broke into and loosing gear at the trailhead? I have a topper the does not lock, I could get the locks replaced but wanted to know if it’s worth it or if it would stop someone, breaking into a topper is not too tough.

I have been on hikes and even fishing trips where stuff walked away from the bed of my truck.Had a tackle box full of musky lures walk away from me in the bed of my truck and I was only 100 yards away casting on the shore.... the lures cost more than the truck at the time.

Reactions: Guy

Poser

WKR
There was a long thread on this recently.
Basically there are some folks who leave thousands of dollars worth of gear in their vehicles and rely on their insurance if things get stolen. There are others who leave nothing and I’m fact don’t lock their vehicles to avoid broken windows.

The topper is only going to keep honest people honest, I just try my best to keep my extra stuff out of sight. Knock on wood it hasn’t been much of a problem to this point. Maybe you could invest in a contractor job box that you could lock up and would be too heavy for someone to steal. Not ideal but it’s an option.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
A couple deterrents that usually help is the fact there is generally one way out from a trail head, and the thief knows someone is nearby armed with a weapon...
I would definitely have a lock, throw a pad lock on there as a deterrent. Also if you can tint any windows or cover up so the thief cant look in that would help.

I’ve heard of people hiding a trail cam to watch their vehicle when there gone, might not keep them from stealing the stuff but you might get their face on camera or possibly their vehicle.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
We loaded all of our expensive gear into a big cooler when we'd leave base camp last year. Used a big cable lock to tie down the cooler in the truck bed. Threw everything else into the cab and locked it. Wasn't all that worried about it but it's good to take precautions.

Spend lots of time in the woods with my truck at trailheads here in MT. Always lock the topper as a deterrent, but if someone wanted to get in they could. Never had an issue and never heard of any issues from my hunting buddies. Like to think MT still has good, honest folk, but there's bad apples everywhere

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Don’t leave ANY gear visible in your vehicle, even expensive sunglasses!
Trucks have been broke into 5x in last 7 years. 2 in UT, 2 in NM, 1x AZ. Guess thieves love seeing out of state plates.
Didn’t lose anything but Maui Jim glasses once and other times just repair $$$ for window.
And it always seems the passenger window is the broken one. I never access vehicle from passenger side, so a unpleasant surprise is set there when left for days at trailhead.
Also use strategically placed game cams. In southern UT, even in base camp!

Last edited:
There was a long thread on this recently.
Basically there are some folks who leave thousands of dollars worth of gear in their vehicles and rely on their insurance if things get stolen. There are others who leave nothing and I’m fact don’t lock their vehicles to avoid broken windows.

I am in this camp.

Unfortunately not much you can do. I tuck as much away as possible and throw an old towel over anything.

My truck got broken into while I was dove hunting in NC. Was out in the field and the GW called to let me know my window was smashed... they made off with a pair of cheap binos (hidden under seat) but luckily left a spare shotgun in the case in the back (GW assumed likely a tweaker looking for something to pawn but was smart enough not to commit the felony stealing a firearm...)

Sometimes I wish claymores were legal...

Game cam might help. Some dash cams also activate when the vehicle is hit. If you back in you might catch their vehicle or face in front.

lak2004

WKR
If you have stickers all over your windows of the expensive gear you own, you're also asking for it. My truck has 0 stickers advertising my gear. A few buddies have had their trucks broken into at trailheads and at hotels while traveling and hunting. Thieves suck! Make sure your insurance will cover your stuff and don't worry too much, instead have a good hunt and if you come back to missing stuff, just know that karma will hopefully catch up to them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The John

Lil-Rokslider
you could always catche your gear somewhere in a cooler (like others have mentioned) if you are that worried about it.

Back in the day we used to through hunt an area and would leave my popup camper tucked into the bushes near the trailhead. Never had a problem, but out of sight out of mind.

bertha

FNG
Fix the lock and get a in the bed tool box that locks. Bolt the tool box down. Don’t leave anything of real value in the truck. If thieves want to get in, they will.
agree with you
o.png

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
If you have stickers all over your windows of the expensive gear you own, you're also asking for it. My truck has 0 stickers advertising my gear. A few buddies have had their trucks broken into at trailheads and at hotels while traveling and hunting. Thieves suck! Make sure your insurance will cover your stuff and don't worry too much, instead have a good hunt and if you come back to missing stuff, just know that karma will hopefully catch up to them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

^Yes!! The “sticker-less truck” is a strategy that I use to deter more than just thieves....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
Maybe I've just been lucky but in all the years I've hunted MT (WA plates on the truck) I've never had any problems. Probably asking for it now by saying that, better start putting the Honda generator in the camper instead of just moving it underneath :))

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have great insurance and make a video of all my gear with serial numbers for my agent before I start my trip. This is done every summer. Park out of sight if possible, even if it's just behind some trees. NO stickers on the truck that would lead someone to think you are a hunter. Hippy skippy hikers are not leaving $$ gear at trailheads, maybe put some hippy stickers on the truck.

Ben Nicholson

Lil-Rokslider
I close and lock my topper and my tailgate. I then back my truck up to a big tree. Thieves can't get the topper door or the tailgate down to get in or get gear out. Lastly I keep one set of keys in my day pack and another either hidden under a rock or in my partners day pack/

That's a great idea about backing up to a tree. Thanks for the tip!