Worst Deering Hunting Advice?

Maz7869

FNG
I’ve done that to a few deer over the years while bowhunting. Worked like a charm.
It works great right until you shoot at one that does not drop I settled on just shooting for the heart and it’s worked well for me.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
"legal shooting times are suggestions" this is particularly echoed in southern ohio i find....

Reactions: CAB
That is bad advice. Deer don’t have horns.

I'm in the south, deer have horns. Being from Alabama you should know the vernacular of our people.

If you're a transplant, pm me, and I'll happily walk you through our dialect and translate common terminology for you.

Darryle

WKR
I thought this could be a fun topic of what's the worst deer hunting advice you have ever heard or received? For me it was that all deer ONLY walk quartering to the wind. When I first heard I thought it was true but quickly realized this isn't possible and is just false when I started hunting more.

You need to quit hunting ducks & turkey and hunt deer

What a rabbit hole this has been :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: CAB

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm in the south, deer have horns. Being from Alabama you should know the vernacular of our people.

If you're a transplant, pm me, and I'll happily walk you through our dialect and translate common terminology for you.

They don’t have horns in the South, either. Calling it the wrong thing don’t make it right.

WCB

WKR
Deer/animals walk into the wind so they can smell what's in front of them....Never taught by the people I hunt with but hear it in general. Damn deer have to walk N-NW most of the fall.

99% of scent control B.S.....AND "when in doubt back out" in relation to 99%+ a scenarios

Oregonboy

WKR
Basically any reason given to stay home, i.e too hot, cold, windy, rainy, etc. You can't kill them from the couch, and I've had some of my best hunts on days that weren't ideal!

YES!! EXACTLY!! I've had countless encounters with this attitude and it drives me insane.

49ereric

WKR
tell hunting partners your successful hunt tips as they’ll never believe you anyway.
father in law always said hunt where you can see far bucks like cover and it works here. Most hunters want to see more area but less cover.

Jumpman

FNG
“Only approach deer with the sun behind you, they will never see you since they’re nocturnal and hornier than their head.”

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
The whole "brush bullet" or "brush gun" BS that so many people believed in ... and some still do. The round nose bullets were better brush bullets than the pointy ones; the 30-30 shooting those old flat nosed bullets was a good brush gun; etc, etc.... I heard so much of that crap growing up.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
The whole scent control craze is what baffles me the most. I admit that I bought into part of it 25 years ago but now realize it is nothing more than a gimmick. It is a huge scam that makes millions per year from naive hunters.