Worth it to ship handgun to Alaska?

schlumpyj

FNG
I’m from the lesser 48 and I’m going to be in Alaska these next couple months. I am planning on doing some long float trips on remote rivers, hiking around, and some shore fishing. I would love to bring my Glock 20 along but I’m having trouble swallowing the cost it will take to ship it there and back (~$250 - FFL to FFL with overnight shipping). Plus about 50 dollars to rebuy some ammo. I can certainly afford it, just questioning how badly I want it.

If you were me, would you eat the cost or pick up some more bear spray?

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a pistol guy, but if I was doing long floats I would want a gun of some sort. I have done several hunts in Alaska and never had a bear issue get real serious (except for one that I shot on a hunt that refused to die), but there have been times I was very happy to be armed.

OP
schlumpyj

schlumpyj

FNG
Yes I’m driving. And to be clear, it is about 125 each way, not 250.

OP
schlumpyj

schlumpyj

FNG
Why do you need a FFL? It’s not changing ownership

Handguns have strict laws regarding how they are shipped. I still don’t understand all of them but I think I need an FFL on each side of the shipping equation.

OP
schlumpyj

schlumpyj

FNG
I’m considering the shotgun suggestion, but don’t have a use for a slug shotgun. Not sure how much I’d lose on buying and selling a gun in AK

you dont need a specific "slug" shot gun. any shot gun will do with a improved cylinder choke. find a old 870 or mossberg 500. I had my dad ship one of my shot guns up. He shipped up the receiver in 1 package and the barrel in another. you can drive through canada with shot guns...just have to declare it.

Wvroach

WKR
At $250 for just Shipping my thoughts would be finding a ffl with a used Glock or as someone else suggested a shotgun, Mossberg 500 or 870 etc and then just sell it back to them when you are going home. Sure you will take a hit for 75$-100$ but seems like a better solution if shipping is going to be $250.

Htm84

WKR
At $250 for just Shipping my thoughts would be finding a ffl with a used Glock or as someone else suggested a shotgun, Mossberg 500 or 870 etc and then just sell it back to them when you are going home. Sure you will take a hit for 75$-100$ but seems like a better solution if shipping is going to be $250.
I’m fairly certain you can’t do this. You need to be a resident to buy from an FFL.
Getting a gun here isn’t very hard. Doing it legally is up to you.

If it was me I’d just buy a 12 gauge with an 18 inch barrel and folding or pistol grip (not sure what Canadas laws are for pistol grip stuff). At least then you could sell it when you go home. That or just carry bear spray. Bears are around but aren’t nearly as scary as people make them out to be. They don’t wanna be around you anymore then you wanna be around them. Doesn’t sound like you’re planning on hunting so just make noise and use some common sense and it’s a non issue.

fmyth

WKR
I’m fairly certain you can’t do this. You need to be a resident to buy from an FFL.
a non issue.

To buy a long gun in Alaska, you need to:

• Be 18 or older
  • Provide a state-issued photo ID

One thing to keep in mind is that even though you can use an out-of-state ID to buy a long gun, it must be legal to buy that gun in the state that issued the ID.So if that AR-15 in the gun store is forbidden fruit in the state of New York, you won’t be able to buy it with a New York driver’s license.

Just like handguns, a licensed gun dealer will have to perform an instant background check if you purchase from the gun store.

Traveler

WKR
I’m from the lesser 48 and I’m going to be in Alaska these next couple months. I am planning on doing some long float trips on remote rivers, hiking around, and some shore fishing. I would love to bring my Glock 20 along but I’m having trouble swallowing the cost it will take to ship it there and back (~$250 - FFL to FFL with overnight shipping). Plus about 50 dollars to rebuy some ammo. I can certainly afford it, just questioning how badly I want it.

If you were me, would you eat the cost or pick up some more bear spray?
If you can afford it, do it

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For a few months it is worth it. You can also ship it via Lynden or Alaska Marine Lines from Seattle and pick it up at the dock in Anchorage. But this will not be much cheaper ($90 each way unless the price has gone up).But, you could ship a box of ammunition with it and save that expense.

An FFL is not needed if you are shipping it to yourself.

Wvroach

WKR
Getting a gun here isn’t very hard. Doing it legally is up to you.

If it was me I’d just buy a 12 gauge with an 18 inch barrel and folding or pistol grip (not sure what Canadas laws are for pistol grip stuff). At least then you could sell it when you go home. That or just carry bear spray. Bears are around but aren’t nearly as scary as people make them out to be. They don’t wanna be around you anymore then you wanna be around them. Doesn’t sound like you’re planning on hunting so just make noise and use some common sense and it’s a non issue.
You have to be a resident for handguns you are correct. You can still buy a long gun through a ffl though.

For a handgun you could borrow someone's and return it before leaving I assume, if you know someone in AK that is.