Worth it to ship handgun to Alaska?

We have come such a long ways in my lifetime. In 1976 I flew into Juneau to work exploration in SE Alaska. The airlines ripped my duffle bag and a bunch of my pistol cartidges dribbled out on the circular baggage claim unit. I remember the rest of the passengers helping me pick up my pistol cartridges as it went around. Nice folks!

The ironic part was the airlines had just put in the first metal detector in Seattle. As I had approached the gate I set off the buzzer. I was only wearing a pair of cutoffs and rock climbing boots. The steel arch supports in the boots set off the machine. I remember the authoritative lady at the counter ordering me to pony up the metal on my body. I turned my pockets inside out and warned her the next step was naked. Without wands she couldn't narrow it down to my boots.

A month later I got on a plane in St Petersburg with a BLM surveyor wearing a yellow slicker with shotgun on strap over his shoulder. I guess that was Alaska airlines equivalent to an airplane cop. He explained to me that it was for irritable people and an occasionable bear. Seemed logical at the time.

I'm not sure we have progressed in a postive direction.

I would suggest chartering a plane from Seattle or taking a ferry up the icy straights. I guess it all depends on where you are you going and what options are available.

In five months between Glacier Bay and Ketchikan I saw a brown bear nearly every other day. Close! I wouldn't even dream of Alaska without a handgun- a big one.

Htm84

WKR
To buy a long gun in Alaska, you need to:

• Be 18 or older
  • Provide a state-issued photo ID

One thing to keep in mind is that even though you can use an out-of-state ID to buy a long gun, it must be legal to buy that gun in the state that issued the ID.So if that AR-15 in the gun store is forbidden fruit in the state of New York, you won’t be able to buy it with a New York driver’s license.

Just like handguns, a licensed gun dealer will have to perform an instant background check if you purchase from the gun store.
Interesting.

Bighorse

WKR
If you’re proficient enough to kill big game with a long gun, my vote is keep that handy while in the field. You know when the brush is thick and the situation is precarious. On the raft have it accessible, you’ll be in a state of readiness hopefully for target species already. I understand the desire to have one. In a small shelter it provides a measure of comfort, a steel binky. My personal approach to camp visitors has been to get out and let ‘em know they are not welcome and I just grab the rifle. My $.02 but with inflation, might be $.002! Cheers

go_deep

WKR
Buy a gun there, then sell it there before you leave. Maybe make a deal with the gun shop that you'll buy it, then sell it back to them for $100 less, or even a pawn shop in a few months.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
You can't have a handgun in Canada. Look it up man. Full nazi up there
He said he wanted to bring his gun! I assume the lesser 48 is the lower 48 of the USA. Plus Canada just announced a hand gun ban, so there are hand guns there currently.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
He said he wanted to bring his gun! I assume the lesser 48 is the lower 48 of the USA. Plus Canada just announced a hand gun ban, so there are hand guns there currently.
Canada has not allowed handguns to cross their border for years and was very grudging in giving handgun permits to citizens before this ban. Long guns require a permit and are restricted to certain types to cross the border.

You did not mention your route of travel. Are you driving through Canada or taking the ferry from Bellingham?