Would this idea be a waste of money

If this is something you are looking to pass down I say go ahead and change the barrel, it isn’t a collectible so as far as a family heirloom it is the memories it has. My kids have no interest in the guns I received from my grandfather that they never met, but fight over the guns I use.
I say make the changes, use the gun and make more memories. It will have a family history that can be passed down.

Just starting on the hand loading so that could open things up.
The 308 should be an easy one to load for. The Nosler 7 book writes in the technical data information on what they see working in the 308 they state that medium to fast burn powders work well such as Varget and BL-C2. I'm sure some folks with a lot of 308 loading might help point you in the direction of what powders you might want to try.

Last edited:
OP
Glockster26
The 308 should be an easy one to load for. The Nosler 7 book writes in the technical data information on what they see working in the 308 they state that medium to fast burn powders work well such as Varget and BL-C2. I'm sure some folks with a lot of 308 loading might help point you in the direction of what powders you might want to try.
I’m currently working my way through Hornady’s reloading book. And the Lymans reloading book just got arrived today.

Last edited:

JMDavies

WKR
Personally, I wouldn't touch it. Use it with its minor imperfections and hand it down to family members.

Carlin59

WKR
Someone already mentioned it, but treat it how you think your dad would want you to treat it. If his view was that the value of the rifle was as a functional tool, do the upgrades and make it a better tool for your needs. If your dad was really sentimental about that gun, leave it as is. I recently inherited a 7 RUM from a cousin who brought it as an “out west” gun but never got to use it for that before he passed. I’m doing a beginner Lr build off of it to live out that dream; I don’t think he would care that I’m swapping the stock/scope/mounts/etc., he wanted that gun to be a tool for a specific purpose and dream.

Bed/free float/trigger if it still doesn’t shoot like you want get a new barrel. If you shoot any gun enough a new barrel is a must. See where the first 3 get you and then decide about the barrel.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
Tear it down and rebuild. A 2 MOA rifle sitting in a safe is worthless. Build it into whatever dream rifle you can think of and start putting the miles in with it.

I would bed the action and float the barrel. You are not going to gain much going to 7mm-08 and 6..5 CM is 260-08 with a different shoulder. Id keep the gun as your dad had it. You will appreciate keeping it original and just making it shoot better, which both of those things can be done at home for a relatively expensive price without a gunsmiths help.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a sentimental rifle like this as well. It sits on gun hooks near my wood burning stove, below a buck I shot with this person. It also has a small plaque under it with some of his best quotes. It's a lovely sentiment to an awesome guy and hunter, and I love being in my living room seeing that every day.

smith406

FNG
I went for it with a 1970's Rem. 700 in 7mm that I got from my father. It was finicky when I got it regarding ammo and accuracy in general was not where I wanted it to be.
I started trying different stuff with it to see if I could get it where I wanted it. I swapped stocks, trigger, mounts, and scopes with really no improvement. I did find a slight bulge in the barrel so the easy fix was off the table for me.
Having a useless rifle in the safe (and one with sentimental value) kills me, so I decided to rebarrel. I wasn't concerned with keeping it original so much as using what I was given. I stayed with 7mm but went with a faster twist proof barrel. The stock is now a manners and the trigger was replaced with a trigger tech. Now I have a rifle that I trust and enjoy much more than in its original form. The cost of action work and refinishing gets a guy pretty close to a new action, like a bighorn origin, on sale but I would still have a rifle that I was not confident hunting with sitting around, in my opinion, neglected.
I kept all the original parts if I ever decide I need a wall hanger or Great Outdoors style lamp.