Would welcome advice on a new Hunting Daypack

Harvested a nice 3rd season Colorado buck this year, but the pack out almost did me in. My gear goal for this coming year is to get into a significant upgrade, willing to spend up to about $450. I have done some research, but would prefer hearing about field experience. I am familiar with Kifaru, Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch, but again I'd love some advice based on field use. Any advice is welcome, I'm going to take my time making a decision. Thanks in advance.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
The Pop-Up would probably be my first stop to assess how it would suit for use.

That said, I used a SG frame with a SO Merlin and a variety of pouches for some very long days this year and am happy with that.

CO-AJ

WKR
I'd definitely look into Exo. I have the K3 6400 and it will shrink down to where I can use it as a daypack. It is a bit beyond your 450.00 budget, but you could get a smaller pack or watch on Rokslide for something used.

OP
Cheptastic
I'd definitely look into Exo. I have the K3 6400 and it will shrink down to where I can use it as a daypack. It is a bit beyond your 450.00 budget, but you could get a smaller pack or watch on Rokslide for something used.
I really appreciate the recommendation. On first glance it is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I also want to make a long term investment. Your suggestion about a used one is also a great idea. I will be checking out their videos after this reply. Thanks again!

CO-AJ

WKR
I really appreciate the recommendation. On first glance it is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I also want to make a long term investment. Your suggestion about a used one is also a great idea. I will be checking out their videos after this reply. Thanks again!
You also might be able to find a frame on Rokslide such as a SG, SO, Kifaru etc and then just throw the Exo bag on it. There are hundreds of combo's people on here do with great degrees of success.

eoperator

WKR
I've been down the same road as you 7packs later and alot of wasted time and money my advice would be to use what you got until you can afford kifaru-stone glacier-exo bag one size bigger than you think need. Don't count out seek and initial ascent- thats my2cents

I've been down the same road as you 7packs later and alot of wasted time and money my advice would be to use what you got until you can afford kifaru-stone glacier-exo bag one size bigger than you think need. Don't count out seek and initial ascent- thats my2cents

Totally agree. Wish I’d bought my Kifaru the first time instead of trying a dozen lesser quality packs hoping it was “as good” as a Kifaru. Save yourself time, money, and back pain and buy the Kifaru first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cheptastic
The Pop-Up would probably be my first stop to assess how it would suit for use.

That said, I used a SG frame with a SO Merlin and a variety of pouches for some very long days this year and am happy with that.
I appreciate the advice, thank you!

OP
Cheptastic
This is great stuff. That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I would rather invest a little more now for the right system and benefit immediately than nickel and dime it and be asking the same questions in a year. Thank you!

EmperorMA

WKR
Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. Great configuration, great organization, great construction.

I love the pack, but needed something a bit larger for what I do. I got the TerraFrame 65 with the same Guide Light MT Frame, and I’ve very comfortably carried a measured 138 lbs in it without a pain or a single hotspot.

I bought a Pintler bag only separately for use as a daypack and it is a nearly perfect combo. The Sawtooth as a bag only option would be perfect.

The Sawtooth 45 can take care of overnights or even weekenders if you pack judiciously. No doubt in my mind it is what I’d get if I wanted a hunting daypack.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
2 pieces of advice that I learned the hard way and wish I woulda known before

1. Get a bigger pack than you think you’ll need most compress down and won’t be as bulky as you think when not using the extra space

2. If possible go somewhere where you can try on multiple brands and see what fits you best, everyone’s body is shaped differently so different packs fit better. I know this isn’t possible but if you can go to an expo and try this do it especially if your going to spend $500 on a pack

OP
Cheptastic
2 pieces of advice that I learned the hard way and wish I woulda known before

1. Get a bigger pack than you think you’ll need most compress down and won’t be as bulky as you think when not using the extra space

2. If possible go somewhere where you can try on multiple brands and see what fits you best, everyone’s body is shaped differently so different packs fit better. I know this isn’t possible but if you can go to an expo and try this do it especially if your going to spend $500 on a pack
I appreciate the advice. I live within 45 minutes of Kifaru, so I may very well do that, assuming that their COVID rules allow for that. Thanks!

SG X-Curve! Very comfortable, compact, and light. I put my MR Sawtooth 45 on mine. You can get 10% off SG at 1shotgear. SUPER people to deal with.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll echo the SG with a smaller bag, if you get into backpack hunting- simply order a larger bag and you're good to go.

I run the Solo bag and it has plenty of room for long day hunts in rugged country (my kit always contains enough gear to spend an unexpected night out) and when I harvest something, pull the bag back, load the quarter or meat bag, cinch the bag back up and off you go

While it's hard to call 90+ lbs comfortable, it's about as comfortable as it's going to get :)

Vote for Stone Glacier here.

Been running an original Krux since 2016 no problems. This thing carries weight unbelievably well. Once it’s on your back and cinched up the weight disappears. Sure, your legs can tell you’re heavier but the weight really becomes a part of your body vs. something that’s hanging on you.

I will echo “buy bigger” as well. I’m running only a Sky Guide 7900. It’s way more pack than I need even on multi day hunts - I cinch it down for day hunts. Again, zero issues. The weight savings for a “day” pack were negligible to me, didn’t see in any reason in running a different bag for maybe a pound of weight savings.

I’m also a MASSIVE fan of their rifle carry system. I love that thing. It’s totally out of the way when I’m hiking, and very easy and fast to deploy if needed. Honestly it’s one of my favorite parts of the pack.

Im not sure if they’re running it by default these days, but the power pull accessory is necessary. Night and day difference, not sure why they weren’t/aren’t set up that way from the factory.

I also gave Seek Outside a shot a couple years back. Quality is good, but, for me, it wasn’t nearly as comfortable as the stone glacier. It carried up to 30-40lbs comfortably before it started to get uncomfortable whereas the SG somehow remains comfortable at 80+. I think it’s the extra padding... well worth the extra weight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah the rifle carrier is very well designed; I carry trekking poles on my pack and only used if hauling meat, nice to get the rifle securely out of the way (but still readily accessible if needed) when hauling meat out

FB0bKpR.jpg

i am another one of those guys that tried bought many packs before landing on kifaru. do youre self a favor and try out as many as you can. I bought my frame and bag from the classified on here. you can find great deals from others looking to upgrade. In my opinion, go with Kifaru. I may be a fan-boy, but for good reason, they kick serious ass.

letrbuck

WKR
I don't think I'll ever look back from my Seek Outside peregrine. Perfect day pack size and I expand it by using a UL dry bag when doing several day backpack hunts. My sleep/camp gear goes in the dry sack and I can drop it when I find a camp late afternoon and still go hunt the evening without exploding my pack or carrying my whole camp with me.

I was set on a Mystery Ranch but they just didnt feel right when loaded with weight and they are a heavy pack when empty.

For me, the Seek hauls heavy loads better than any pack I've had, and I've had many. I have ditched all my backpacking packs after getting the Seek (Dana Design, Lowe, Osprey, Deuter), and use it all summer for work and fun backpacking trips

Good thread....I will be watching this also. I have a Blacks Creek Answer on a Grip Frame. It is a bomb proof pack just like my mystery ranch but both are heavy. I have carried some pretty heavy loads with it and it is comfortable but I would love to find a pack that is a stout but would weigh in a lot less.