Would you bother reloading?

Also I don’t see what the ES and SD are of the factory ammo, that is a key bit of info.

Can't speak for this guy and what his ES & SD is, but I've tried the Hornady PH ammo in several of my guns so far (300wm, 280ai, 300Saum, maybe a few others). They all have velocities that stretch out to 30fps in difference minimum. So far the Kimber Montana in 280ai is the only one I've found that likes it best (1/2"moa). The 300 Saum is coming around to it though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Read up on velocity spread for factory ammo. It really depends on the yardages he plans on hunting with it.

Don’t forget that you can order hand loads now a days and you’ll get a very consistent velocity spread across all the rounds. Factory ammo, even in the same “lot” still has huge velocity spreads. When you start dialing and really reaching out there you absolutely have to have a verified velocity of the bullet coming out of your barrel.

You can easily see an extreme spread of 40
to 100 feet per second out of the same box of factory ammo. Hand loads are going to get you down into the 5-10 range.

Using the 162 grain 28 Nosler ammo you mentioned. Let’s say you have a velocity spread of 65 feet per second. One bullet is coming out at 3175 and the next one comes out at 3110. That translates to over 7” difference in aim point at 1,000 yards.

Just food for thought.

I'd still had load for it. Personally, if I owned a 28 Nosler I'd not settle for a soft 162gr bullet going that speed.

That was my first thought as well.

If he’s only going to shoot a box a year, not shoot anything bigger than deer, and not shoot them in the shoulder, I wouldn’t handload. Otherwise factory 28nos is expensive, a 162 eldx is going to completely come apart at 28nos velocities, and the PH ammo I’ve shot in 2 guns/chamberings had a high velocity ES of 50+FPS.

TreGrizz

FNG
I would try another box of the same ammo to make sure its consistent. if so, I wouldn't reload unless I was shooting a lot and wanted to save a bit of money.

I do both depends on the rifle and what it likes. I have a 6.5 creed that loves factory ammo and a 6.5 prc that needed some hand rolled loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for the average hunter/shooter there’s enough of a range of bullets out there to get the results you’re hoping for. I think a lot of guys reload to either save money or because it’s turned into a hobby for them or they’re prepping for the inevitable Z apocalypse. But what do I know, I’m a noob.

No chance. My skill set is 500 yards in the field. That’s over the counter territory. No need to burn precious time on reloading any longer.