243 or 6.5 CM

cjdewese

WKR
Hey guys, here's the situation and I know its a personal preference but as an adult onset I don't have much experience in this area.

I live in California so have to use copper bullets with anything I hunt with. I currently own a 1917 enfield that was sporterized as my only hinting rifle so far. I can get it to group OK with a few different factory lead options, but haven't found a copper bullet it likes so far.

My best friend and hunting partner already owns a braked Tikka 6.5 cm with all the different reloading components as well.

I have decided I want to get a Tikka myself for the next hunting season, he has offered to let me use any and all of his reloading equipment if I want to and any new caliber would be fairly inexpensive to get the components for.

Where we hunt there is rarely a shot opportunity over 400 yards and our deer are fairly small bodied. I never felt good taking anything over 200 with my current rifle and would like to feel better about those 400 yard opportunities.

My boys are 11 and 6, both are showing interest in hunting and shooting, do you think there is value in getting an unbraked 243, one kid hates loud noises, vs a 2nd 6.5 with all of this in mind. Do you think, there would be issues getting factory ammo for the 243 while I purchase reloading components for it? My buddy has offered to let me use the 6.5 for me or my boys if we ever need a 2nd rifle as well for any reason.

What do you guys think?

TaperPin

WKR
So many kids have started with a 243 it’s hard to mention anything else. They will move on to something else eventually, but my vote goes for the light recoiling 243.

No to mention, if you buy a used rifle at the normal used price, they can learn to hunt with it for however long, you can sell it for what you bought it for, so it’s almost a free gun. 🙂

MThuntr

WKR
It's hard to argue with either. Personally there I feel there are more options available for copper bullet ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think the recoil difference between the two is almost negligible. Maybe 10-20% looking at muzzle energy (not the whole story).

But if you can handload 6.5C you can always load down.

6.5C bullets will in general have better BC and be more efficient down range meaning with less MV you can retain energy down range and it’s “more efficient” in your shoulder if you will.

Also bullet selection in 6.5C is better (more hunting bullet options…again especially for handloader).

Get a good limbsaver and move out of CA so you can have a can and you’d be set.

Macintosh

WKR
Flip a coin? Only half kidding.
A 243 would be my personal choice especially for copper. 65 is great and I own several, but I dont think it has any advantages over a 243 if you are limited to copper for hunting. The only caveat might be barrel twist— I believe tikka makes a 243 now that has a faster barrel twist that might be better suited to some of the longer copper bullets. The standard 243 twist might be a little bit slow to stabilize some of the copper bullets you might end up wanting in that cartridge. But the 65 clearly has a lot more factory ammunition offerings, and is certainly one easy-button.

I would personally not put a brake on it for the kids, I would probably add some weight to it to make it recoil a bit less before I put a brake on it, because the noise is half the problem for a kid, certainly as much as the actual recoil is most times.

I think you would be well served with a .243.

There is certainly more 6.5 ammo available but .243 is easy to find or order. I wouldn't worry about reloading to start.

I have both, with the .243 being slightly more enjoyable to shoot.

Short of being suppressed, I'm not sure how you get out of the "loud noises" category.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Get a good limbsaver and move out of CA so you can have a can and you’d be set.
My oldest lives with his mom in San Diego, moving out would leave him behind. Not an option, but thanks for the other advice.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Short of being suppressed, I'm not sure how you get out of the "loud noises" category.
Thank you, it would just be an unbraked rifle. My buddies is pretty damn loud compared to my cousin's non braked 6.5.

He is always in good ear pro when he comes out with us and currently shoots his single shot 22 pretty well so it's not a huge deal either way but any reduction seems to help him out.

handwerk

WKR
I'd vote for the .243, my kids started with them, unbraked shooting 80 TTSX's, we still have a few .243's around.
If you find an 8 twist tikka you could eventually step up to the 95 g Barnes LRX, a great bullet.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
I'd vote for the .243, my kids started with them, unbraked shooting 80 TTSX's, we still have a few .243's around.
If you find an 8 twist tikka you could eventually step up to the 95 g Barnes LRX, a great bullet.
This is what I was planning on doing if I go the 243 route. Seems like the 8 twist Tikka should stsbilize the heavier/longer bullets ok.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Any downsides to getting the 1 in 8 243 vs a 1 in 10 or is it generally only upside in terms of performance? Does it matter when using non lead for hunting?

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
My best friend and hunting partner already owns a braked Tikka 6.5 cm with all the different reloading components as well.

I have decided I want to get a Tikka myself for the next hunting season, he has offered to let me use any and all of his reloading equipment if I want to and any new caliber would be fairly inexpensive to get the components for.

My boys are 11 and 6...
Aside from my initial thought (why brake a 6 5CM?), see if your friend will let you to remove the brake and let your boys shoot it before you make a choice, to see worst case recoil in a 6.5. Just my opinion but it shouldn't be an issue. My buddie's 10 year old daughter shoots a 6.5CM loaded with 140's every range trip without complaint.

Barnes also has some lighter weight monos in 6.5, like the 100gr and 120gr TTSX. Hammer does as well. I prefer the 127 LRX but at 400 yards or less any of the Barnes or Hammer bullets should work well on deer.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a tikka 1:10 243 which is a great shooter but prior to the 1:8twist coming out I'd steer folks to a 6.5 for more options, good twist and oomph. Now that they have the 1:8twist if you are a reloader and can load up the 95LRX that'd be pretty sweet. I'd still think the 6.5 is more versatile though.

The 80gr ttsx on a buck at 220ish yds didn't exit this fall, it dropped on the spot but no pass through, maybe the 95lrx would have? For does and pronghorn within reasonable distances it hammers nicely.

SO long story short if its a 1:8 243 and you reload then flip a coin or pick your preference, if you don't reload or its a 1:10 243 in my personal opinion I'd go with the 6.5 to have better twist and/or factory ammo offerings.