Would you go back to this sign in CO archery?

Came across this sign while out last year in an undisclosed unit. My issue is that the unit is a draw for archery and probably not worth burning my whole 2 points. I’m thinking I’ll do OTC while it’s still around for us residents. I know for sure there is a decent resident herd but they quickly retreat to private and hard to access places. Biggest issue is that I cannot go scout before season as access is through a STL and is only open for big game season. Getting back there would be a 2 day hike through other accesses. Lots of bear activity as well. I do have knowledge of the area as I had amazing private access before I started hunting out here.
IMG_8523.jpegIMG_8525.jpeg

OP
SilentPursuit
I wouldn't spend 2 days hiking in to look at a couple of old rubs. That kind of sign can be found in any unit that has elk.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Once season is open I can get in there in just a few hours. I’m drawn to hunt that resident herd but mostly because I have spent the most time in that area. Everyone has kinda confirmed what I was thinking. Just seems like an overlooked place that definitely has bear deer and elk activity.

OP
SilentPursuit
Absolutely… camp out on it… he will show back up at some point…
I do hear and read a lot about how elk do tend to come back to the same areas. Stars would have to align perfectly to catch them if I can’t scout though. I know it’s not a super pressured area at least in early season. Especially not being open to recreational use.

OP
SilentPursuit
Out of state spot?
No, the State Trust Land used to access the large public land can only be used in big game seasons while hunting. I could do a multi day trip in before season coming in through different access point, but I think that time could be spent better scouting the other units and spots I’m looking at.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Gotcha, yeah it can be a coin flip, just remember no matter how good a spot looks or how much sign if there aren’t elk there… there aren’t elk there

OP
SilentPursuit
I’d look at the harvest stats and go with a high harvest rate otc unit
I’m not too trusting with the harvest stats, I know many tight lipped locals that harvest elk every year out of the general area. I’m actually supposed to tag along in 4th rifle this year but I’ll go for a antlerless to not step on toes with the group. More just wanting to learn the style they hunt as they are quite successful.

OP
SilentPursuit
Gotcha, yeah it can be a coin flip, just remember no matter how good a spot looks or how much sign if there aren’t elk there… there aren’t elk there
Most certainly, I was in elk sign all last season and no elk to be seen. I got a bow just so I can get out earlier in the season and try to catch them before they move to private.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve seen rubs from the pavement. Elk are very brave when it’s dark outside. One rub and a SWA, probably 40% success rates on the harvest stats too. Keep looking…

OP
SilentPursuit
I’ve seen rubs from the pavement. Elk are very brave when it’s dark outside. One rub and a SWA, probably 40% success rates on the harvest stats too. Keep looking…
Thanks for the advice, I have also seen spots with tons of sign but you will never catch them in there during a hunting season.