Would you go back to this sign in CO archery?

Looks like the hills along golden.

To answer the question, if I saw the bull, and only one bull, I doubt I go back Let alone a couple rubs. The best elk sign is seeing them. Everything else is secondary. I don’t care if I’m slipping and sliding on green droppings, tripping over snapped off trees. If I’m not seeing them, it’s all for not.

OP
SilentPursuit
Looks like the hills along golden.

To answer the question, if I saw the bull, and only one bull, I doubt I go back Let alone a couple rubs. The best elk sign is seeing them. Everything else is secondary. I don’t care if I’m slipping and sliding on green droppings, tripping over snapped off trees. If I’m not seeing them, it’s all for not.
Great advice for sure. Although I did not see them during 3rd season rifle it doses not mean they are not there in archery season. I was just thinking if I got in there opening day of archery I might get into the resident herd of elk. They don’t go very far but from what I have seen and been told is they bounce back and forth from public and private. There is at least 2 private hunting ranches where they do guided and non guided hunts.

Walthers

FNG
I would keep looking, elk are where you find them. I have a lot of rubs around my house, in three years have only seen the elk during daylight a handful of times, they seem to move trough in the middle of the night.

Also, I hunted some SWA during fourth season this year, all the elk I saw were on private when I was driving in and out, no fresh sign on the SWA either, even with fresh snow in the ground. I wanted to try these spots in hopes of getting the tag as a second choice again in the future but after hunting it hard last years fourth season it seems the elk were wise and stayed on private.

OP
SilentPursuit
I would keep looking, elk are where you find them. I have a lot of rubs around my house, in three years have only seen the elk during daylight a handful of times, they seem to move trough in the middle of the night.

Also, I hunted some SWA during fourth season this year, all the elk I saw were on private when I was driving in and out, no fresh sign on the SWA either, even with fresh snow in the ground. I wanted to try these spots in hopes of getting the tag as a second choice again in the future but after hunting it hard last years fourth season it seems the elk were wise and stayed on private.
Yeah I had a similar experience in 3rd season. Lots of sign old and new but they were already out of the area. Part of it was my fault by not making it up for opening day when we had a snow storm and fresh snow, had an obligation at work. I’ll get out and do some good scouting in a few other areas I have been looking at. I’ll definitely be hunting the unit I found this sign as it’s a “close” to home unit. For sure I’ll be in there for mule deer.

TaperPin

WKR
This is mainly just trivia, but you’ll notice it in the mountains and know a little of what’s going on.

Looking at nothing other than an overhead view of a big drainage, if you find heavily timbered smaller finger drainages on north slopes that get a lot of shade and there is evidence of old landslides, you’ll usually find elk. Landslides are caused by water in the soil, and the way they slump off creates small ponds, wet depressions and benches.

B8947984-10DE-43C2-B702-2BFF9005830F.png
Here’s a sat view of a good elk producing area - the entire picture is an old slide with more recent smaller slides here and there - notice all the benches and extra green areas. Slides always have a lot of water in the soil, which is why they slid in the first place. This must have been taken last spring since there is a little snow here and there. Normally there are little springs and even a few tiny little ponds throughout this area. Elk have cover, food, cool mud to roll around in, and privacy - especially good during the rut would be the left side down toward the bottom during the day and they move up to follow cows feeding at night. A similar mountain side in any western state will hold elk. A similar hillside, but without the evidence of old slides will probably be more dry and hold fewer elk.

That was the long winded way to say slides create benches. Lol

6959EF2F-FE8D-466A-A920-49189696C91D.jpeg

OP
SilentPursuit
This is mainly just trivia, but you’ll notice it in the mountains and know a little of what’s going on.

Looking at nothing other than an overhead view of a big drainage, if you find heavily timbered smaller finger drainages on north slopes that get a lot of shade and there is evidence of old landslides, you’ll usually find elk. Landslides are caused by water in the soil, and the way they slump off creates small ponds, wet depressions and benches.

View attachment 690175
Here’s a sat view of a good elk producing area - the entire picture is an old slide with more recent smaller slides here and there - notice all the benches and extra green areas. Slides always have a lot of water in the soil, which is why they slid in the first place. This must have been taken last spring since there is a little snow here and there. Normally there are little springs and even a few tiny little ponds throughout this area. Elk have cover, food, cool mud to roll around in, and privacy - especially good during the rut would be the left side down toward the bottom during the day and they move up to follow cows feeding at night. A similar mountain side in any western state will hold elk. A similar hillside, but without the evidence of old slides will probably be more dry and hold fewer elk.

That was the long winded way to say slides create benches. Lol

View attachment 690181
Never heard it explained like that. Such good info to know and I can do some more research based off what I just learned. Of course I have herd hunt benches but this explains so much more. Thank you so much for your input. I’m just soaking up all this knowledge I’m getting from the forum and locals.

TaperPin

WKR
Never heard it explained like that. Such good info to know and I can do some more research based off what I just learned. Of course I have herd hunt benches but this explains so much more. Thank you so much for your input. I’m just soaking up all this knowledge I’m getting from the forum and locals.
A geologist showed me that and it was like a lightbulb turned on - pretty cool. Lol

Slides often have a semi circular scarf where they broke away - here’s a nearby area a mountain or two away from the last sat image where an old slide scarf is visible, then a newer scarf shows up and down below it there’s a pond - both good signs this also has extra ground moisture. I haven’t hunted elk on this area, but an outfitter I met nearby that used to hunt it said it’s a good producer.
9414B786-434B-4041-9D57-AE711995555D.jpeg

OP
SilentPursuit
A geologist showed me that and it was like a lightbulb turned on - pretty cool. Lol

Slides often have a semi circular scarf where they broke away - here’s a nearby area a mountain or two away from the last sat image where an old slide scarf is visible, then a newer scarf shows up and down below it there’s a pond - both good signs this also has extra ground moisture. I haven’t hunted elk on this area, but an outfitter I met nearby that used to hunt it said it’s a good producer.
View attachment 690201
I had that same light bulb go off when I read your post. Makes so much sense

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No….but if there were 20 of those rubs in dark timber from mannnny years yes🤙 1 random rub means simply a bull came by, a history of rubs says this is a routine spot they cruise by and May be a spot to check out.

OP
SilentPursuit
No….but if there were 20 of those rubs in dark timber from mannnny years yes🤙 1 random rub means simply a bull came by, a history of rubs says this is a routine spot they cruise by and May be a spot to check out.
Awesome thanks, I’ll end up saving this area for another season. I’ll definitely be getting back in there for mule deer so I’ll be able to check it out more.