Wow ! When did we all get so PO'd

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 15000

Looks like old Fred didn't hesitate to show a little happiness in many of his pics.

Personally, I can't help but feel joy with all aspects of hunting, especially bowhunting.

If you make a bowkill, and you don't feel some type of elation...you are missing it IMHO!

A few years ago my dad killed one of his best deer. He was so excited. I helped him find it and took some pictures. After a couple pics I asked him to smile for one. My dad almost never smiles in pics and really does not show much emotion in general. For some people I think it may just be the way they are. My mom and I look at those pics of my dad and laugh at his poker face. We were there with him though and know how big that smile on the inside was.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
ezabupyr.jpg

Gotta sport the fierce face

tttoadman

WKR
When i attempt to make a self pic that looks good, i try not to be a smiling idiot. My "non-smiling idiot" face seems to look like the pissed off face or the exhausted face. I think its funny that we actually put this much thought into it. "oh....the timers going.....hows my face.......oh shit.....!! I think I was frowning"

Lukem

WKR
If that's the case, those guys need to stop living their lives through the prism of other people. Enjoy the good times. Blow off what other people think, even if it comes to mopeds and fat chicks.
I think what I wrote was more a rant against aspects of hunting today that frustrate me. Working some of the deer checkstation here in NE, I see young kids (and old men) disappointed with the deer they killed, often for many of the reasons I listed. It isn't prevalent on RS, but this is a different crowd.

Lukem

WKR
As for the comparison to old pictures, it isn't so much the attitude about hunting then as now, as it is that nobody smiled in pictures 150 years ago. Slow shutter speeds made a smile hard to capture, a serious face could be held long enough to not come out blurry. Beyond that the smile had a different meaning socially and contextually in a photo. Mark Twain probably put it best: "A photograph is a most important document, and there is nothing more damning to go down to posterity than a silly, foolish smile caught and fixed forever.”

Not that I'm always that great at smiling either. My smile is often accused of being indifferent. I'm generally smiling, just nobody knows it. :)

charvey9

WKR
As for the comparison to old pictures, it isn't so much the attitude about hunting then as now, as it is that nobody smiled in pictures 150 years ago. Slow shutter speeds made a smile hard to capture, a serious face could be held long enough to not come out blurry. Beyond that the smile had a different meaning socially and contextually in a photo. Mark Twain probably put it best: "A photograph is a most important document, and there is nothing more damning to go down to posterity than a silly, foolish smile caught and fixed forever.”

Not that I'm always that great at smiling either. My smile is often accused of being indifferent. I'm generally smiling, just nobody knows it. :)

I'm a bit of a photo nerd, so I knew that was part of it. However, smiling for the camera still wasn't a common practice until Kodak started marketing camera with photos of smiling faces in the middle of the 20th century. In fact, "Say Cheese" was invented by western culture around the same time until it became common place for people to throw up fake smiles for photographs. All the result of a brilliant marketing campaign.

I go back to my orinial statement, and belive the best photos and memories result when the photos capture true emotion. Which is probably why most people would agree that candids make for better pictures than somone posing and "smiling for the camera".

Just my .02.

Last edited:

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
I go back to my orinial statement, and belive the best photos and memories result when the photos capture true emotion. Which is probably why most people would agree that candids make for better pictures than somone posing and "smiling for the camera".

Totally agree with that statement!

Lukem - Now I get what you're sayin'. I've heard stories about guys making condescending comments to kids at check stations, but thankfully have never witnessed it myself. You gotta have some serious inadequacies to feel the need to rain on some kid's day/season in order to reinforce your self worth.

7mag.

WKR
I don't often smile in pics with an animal because my "picture smile" looks ridiculous. In fact, I hate pictures of myself, unless they are candid, because if I smile for the camera, I look like more of a moron than usual.

Lukem

WKR

Just my .02.

I don't disagree with that one bit. Although I'd rather see a fake smile than a fake tough guy look. :)

bobhunts

WKR
I saw pics of myself not smiling in kill shots before. I really didn't have that problem last year with a moose in my hands in Alaska. Very small bull and a'lot of story behind it but I was full of smile doing something I had dreamed about since I was a kid. Alaska is real big and very few ever see how big it is. Bob.