WTF Kuiu, waterfowl?

Poser

WKR
you have to try snow geese taken from a very corn field in a cassoulet with a great cahors wine ...

I made a batch of cured sausages once with snow geese and they were excellent. A little bit of Garam Masala neutralizes the “livery” flavor

t_carlson

WKR
you have to try snow geese taken from a very corn field in a cassoulet with a great cahors wine ...

Trey Crawford once told me that after the snows get down to the Southern US and hang around for a month or so, they taste as good as anything.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The insanity of waterfowlers is unreal, I have dipped my toes, but I am no where near “hardcore” I’m talking dudes getting to the public land parking lot at 12am, hiking dozens and dozens of decoys a mile or more, setting up head lamps (dozens of them) to make others think there are guys all over that side of the lake. Only to maybe shoot a few birds that you get like a total of 2.5lbs of meat that let’s be honest is not the tastiest wild game out there. (I like dabblers, can’t pay me to eat divers) these dudes will spend fortunes on gear, calls, guns, shells, and you better be matchy matchy everything!!!

Hnthrdr

WKR
I've got to call BS on that one.
Nope it’s a thing, seen it in Co. makes you a “country boy” or something like that… also most likely sky bust birds that are 500 yards away… don’t worry they shoot heavy metal with an exxxtra full choke!

t_carlson

WKR
The insanity of waterfowlers is unreal, I have dipped my toes, but I am no where near “hardcore” I’m talking dudes getting to the public land parking lot at 12am, hiking dozens and dozens of decoys a mile or more, setting up head lamps (dozens of them) to make others think there are guys all over that side of the lake. Only to maybe shoot a few birds that you get like a total of 2.5lbs of meat that let’s be honest is not the tastiest wild game out there. (I like dabblers, can’t pay me to eat divers) these dudes will spend fortunes on gear, calls, guns, shells, and you better be matchy matchy everything!!!

I hope this post was meant to be ironic on a site such as Rokslide.

Nope it’s a thing, seen it in Co. makes you a “country boy” or something like that… also most likely sky bust birds that are 500 yards away… don’t worry they shoot heavy metal with an exxxtra full choke!

Ok, but if they are hunting, then they are not non-hunters wearing waterfowl clothes as a fad, no?

Bulldawg

WKR
The thing that surprises me most about their lineup is no zipper on the wader. That’s kind of become commonplace especially for $900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
how insane hunters can be ... imagine a waterfowler looking at your gear ... luckily we are one kind: hunters, brother ...

Hnthrdr

WKR
I hope this post was meant to be ironic on a site such as Rokslide.

Ok, but if they are hunting, then they are not non-hunters wearing waterfowl clothes as a fad, no?
Meh, a little ironic, lots of guys here talk a big game but don’t deliver

Some of them hunt, some of them “say” they hunt. Like lots of interwebz folks it’s duck dynasty chic, or southern frat boy style

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
Meh, a little ironic, lots of guys here talk a big game but don’t deliver

Some of them hunt, some of them “say” they hunt. Like lots of interwebz folks it’s duck dynasty chic, or southern frat boy style
hunting is not about sucess or size of the horns/antlers but more the adventure ... hunting with a tape measurement is killing it ...

Hnthrdr

WKR
how insane hunters can be ... imagine a waterfowler looking at your gear ... luckily we are one kind: hunters, brother ...
For sure man! I’m not dogging it. I just think that waterfowlers will spend money!!! Like we all do, I think ole kuiu saw what FL and Sitka did and jumped in. I still remember thinking I was the belle of the ball when I got that new Drake jacket haha 😂 then I grew up and learned that hiding in the shadows or making a good natural blind and not looking up all the time was wayyy more effective than my fancy max-4. Heck I duck hunted for 15 years before I got into big game. It was my first love, takes a back seat to deer and elk but when my kid(s) get a little older I’m sure we will be back at, cupping mallards in tight

Hnthrdr

WKR
hunting is not about sucess or size of the horns/antlers but more the adventure ... hunting with a tape measurement is killing it ...
Not talking about success in antler inches, or much else I am talking about interwebz bravado. I don’t think a dead animal equates success.

I will stand by my statement if you skybust you suck and need to learn to waterfowl hunt and learn how to ethically kill ducks/geese and are likely a major hoser

ChrisAU

WKR
As a duck hunter, I’m all about trophy hunting. Which is why I’ve never found and shot that DOAL.
I’m still searchin though.

Thats another good point, actually.

I think what draws me to big game is the differences in what you take. Once you've killed a Mallard drake, or a Woodie drake, or a ______ drake, whats left? I like the different sizes and different headgear of big game. I tend to think that obsessive duck hunters have a form of hunting ADHD - they need smaller doses of hunting success much more often. Don't get me wrong, I duck hunt, a lot more now than I did a few years ago, but I don't get crazy about and I don't really go out of my way. Don't think I've ever duck hunted more than half an hour from my house. My buddies always talk me into going, and sometimes we don't kill much but others we limit out on woodies. Its just the same thing over and over in my mind. I realize it makes some people tick, just not me.

I do enjoy the social aspect of it for sure, but in doses. The biggest problem for me is that duck seasons run during the same time as whitetail seasons here. Generally on a cold morning I'm much happier sitting in a tree or stalking around looking for a buck than in a pond shooting a duck - the same one I've shot a bunch of times.

Hnthrdr

WKR

I think what draws me to big game is the differences in what you take. Once you've killed a Mallard drake, or a Woodie drake, or a ______ drake, whats left? I like the different sizes and different headgear of big game. I tend to think that obsessive duck hunters have a form of hunting ADHD - they need smaller doses of hunting success much more often. Don't get me wrong, I duck hunt, a lot more now than I did a few years ago, but I don't get crazy about and I don't really go out of my way. Don't think I've ever duck hunted more than half an hour from my house. My buddies always talk me into going, and sometimes we don't kill much but others we limit out on woodies. Its just the same thing over and over in my mind. I realize it makes some people tick, just not me.

I do enjoy the social aspect of it for sure, but in doses. The biggest problem for me is that duck seasons run during the same time as whitetail seasons here. Generally on a cold morning I'm much happier sitting in a tree or stalking around looking for a buck than in a pond shooting a duck - the same one I've shot a bunch of times.
For me the allure to duck hunting is all about decoying and interacting with the birds. Like you said when I started it was if it flies it dies, (that gets old) now it’s they are not cupped up committed I’ll pass, also only started shooting drakes, often only mallard drakes, why? just cause, to each their own, but I’m with you the reward is all about the interaction and often having a jazzed up pup with. Much bigger reward big game hunting

Bands! Gotta have your entire lanyard covered in bands!