WY ANTELOPE UNIT 111 (chalk bluffs)

A friend of mine and I are considering a first time WY antelope hunt this year (among others, depending on season dates) but without points, I've been looking for a decent draw chance with good success rates and 111 looked promising unless I've read the reports wrong. Just wanting to know if anyone has any info on this unit or another that would even be more preferable. Thanks in advance.

It does look promising from a draw standpoint. Part of that may be the lack of public land.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
L
I just pulled up the unit map and I was afraid that was the reason. It's beginning to get a little discouraging going back and forth checking each unit with the same result. Would it just be in our best interest to start saving points and put this on the back burner?

I just pulled up the unit map and I was afraid that was the reason. It's beginning to get a little discouraging going back and forth checking each unit with the same result. Would it just be in our best interest to start saving points and put this on the back burner?
Idk. I probably wouldn't pick that unit for a buck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
You could apply for doe tags and build some PP for a hunt 2-4 years down the road in a good area.

OP
L
This may be the avenue we take. As of now, we're considering applying for unit 8 and crossing our fingers and if that doesn't pan out we'll take the doe tags and save up.

Fordguy

WKR
Did you try unit 111 in 2020? We did. My girlfriend drew both of her doe tags and I struck out. So I was there primarily to guide and help her pack out her antelope if she got one. So doe tags only
What we found in 111
Access to public was difficult, not impossible. We saw 2 or 3 nice bucks and a bunch of smaller bucks that would have been easy targets if she had an any antelope tag. They were very territorial, and didn't want to leave their staked out piece of ground- usually a hill top of slight elevation that increased their visibility. Does were hard to come by. We had 2 walk by about 10 yards off of the public land we were on. They were at 110 yards.
We eventually found a herd, crawled to get close but after the crawl she didn't feel steady enough to make a good shot so we let them go. Probably 25-30 antelope between 130 and 200 yards at that point. One decent buck, a few small ones and a bunch of does and fawns. I'm still calling it a success, she got close and decided not to attempt a shot that she didn't feel comfortable with. 111 is very doable, and like I said if we had an any antelope tag we could have both shot average looking bucks on the first day. We found 4 or 5 pieces of public land that we could access total. There were a few more that were questionable but we didn't want to risk it and trespass.
We did see a monster buck that seemed to have made his home on a piece of private land just north of the colorado line. He was in the same place every day.

Rich M

WKR
I did a matrix - a table with all the details that mattered to me at the time. I'll do it again once my group gets the points and we need to look to see where we can draw vs where we want to go.

Yes - takes some time and you can take the shortcut & pay for this but you don't get to look at the stuff and own it. You apply for whatever the app tells you too and your unit or 2nd choice unit gets 1,000 applications (happened 2020 due to the app).

You're a lot closer than I am, so it isn't as big a hit on your vacation time, time traveled, and such. I'd do a doe hunt if it was within a day of driving. As it is, I'm about 3 days drive away.