WY Corner crossing update

Billinsd

WKR
If corner crossing becomes legal, why wouldn't land owners build high, reinforced, and highly impenetrable fence corners, that are difficult or near impossible to cross? Also, land owners and/or law enforcement could accuse corner crossers of straying onto private property? What if the accused shows on his phone app, he's legal and the law enforcement and others say "no you are not", either party could be right or wrong? Corner crossing is legal in California, however I didn't do it much, because of the harassment from law enforcement and land owners, not worth it..

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
If corner crossing becomes legal, why wouldn't land owners build high, reinforced, and highly impenetrable fence corners, that are difficult or near impossible to cross? Also, land owners and/or law enforcement could accuse corner crossers of straying onto private property? What if the accused shows on his phone app, he's legal and the law enforcement and others say "no you are not", either party could be right or wrong? Corner crossing is legal in California, however I didn't do it much, because of the harassment from law enforcement and land owners, not worth it..
Because that would be against federal law to do that.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Unlawful enclosure act for sure. CFR would be violated and they face both criminal and civil litigation, loss of use permits as well.

3forks

WKR
I don’t mean to sound too critical, but you seem to always weigh in on any political discussion on this site. Also, if recall correctly - you’re a staunch advocate of individual rights and a critic of government overreach.

If corner crossing is legal in California, why don’t you stand up for your rights and the rights of other sportsman who might be harassed while corner crossing?

I think I’ve frequently seen you bemoan what California has turned into… is it just easier for you to gripe on the internet about what‘s wrong with California now rather than exercise a right you currently have?

Billinsd

WKR
I don’t mean to sound too critical but you seem to always weigh in on any political discussion on this site.
I frequently weigh in on the big ones, not always, though.
Also, if recall correctly - you’re a staunch advocate of individual rights and a critic of government overreach
Yep!!!, Thanks for the compliment.
If corner crossing is legal in California, why don’t you stand up for your rights and the rights of other sportsman who might be harassed while corner crossing?
California is a REAL NASTY place to hunt these days. Lots of Anti hunters. Lots of A-hole hunters trying to push away, bully, and run off other hunters, because of the scarcity of game, real and imagined. Lots of Anti and A-hole property owners, and agencies trying run off hunters, because many are A-holes as mentioned previously. I don't hunt much in California anymore. I go out of state to hunt, fish, hike, camp, and vacation as much as I can. Short answer is I'M DONE with California in almost every way, it's a shithole!! I couldn't care much less.
I think I’ve frequently seen you bemoan what California has turned into… is it just easier for you to gripe on the internet about what‘s wrong with California now rather than exercise a right you currently have?
Well, Duh!! Of course it's easier to gripe. I'm no Crusader, not anymore. See previous answer, why I don't exercise my freedoms much anymore in California. I've generally avoided confrontation in the outdoors, especially with armed idiots. I used to hunt real close to private property and don't do that anymore, either, way too much trouble, harrassment, and stress. Carry on....

Last edited:

County attorney is worried about "the interest of justice" being compromised by body cam video from county sheriffs office being made public and asked the judge to "limit prejudicial pretrial communication".

I reckon he wouldn't be too worried about a video being out there if it displayed the hunters in an unfavorable manner. The video wouldn't be "prejudiced pretrial communication" in that case i'm sure.

I like how the ranch manager said “he’s gonna shut all of it down, he’s gonna lock it all up.”. As if they let public on to hunt. Obviously they don’t.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR

County attorney is worried about "the interest of justice" being compromised by body cam video from county sheriffs office being made public and asked the judge to "limit prejudicial pretrial communication".

I reckon he wouldn't be too worried about a video being out there if it displayed the hunters in an unfavorable manner. The video wouldn't be "prejudiced pretrial communication" in that case i'm sure.
The county court clerk released the video for a $5 fee, they cashed the check and sent the video.

I knew the video was going to be sent to the reporter after talking with the 4 hunters a few days before it hit wyofile.

That video is public record. I would think the prosecuting attorneys would understand that.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like how the ranch manager said “he’s gonna shut all of it down, he’s gonna lock it all up.”. As if they let public on to hunt. Obviously they don’t.
My understanding from the video is they do let the sheriff office hunt there. So it was a "do something now or we cut you off too" statement. Yeah I'd probably want that tidbit excluded and the narrative twisted if I wanted to win.

I could be wrong but that was my take away from the body cam footage.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
My understanding from the video is they do let the sheriff office hunt there. So it was a "do something now or we cut you off too" statement. Yeah I'd probably want that tidbit excluded and the narrative twisted if I wanted to win.

Quid pro quo, corruption at its finest.

They aren't winning this case and know it. Their best bet would be to drop the charges.

I realized the same thing after I posted. Pretty embarrassing for them. If you’re going to threaten to end an ongoing bribe you should make sure you aren’t on camera first 😉

Last edited:

I had the same initial interpretation of that interaction. There is an elk mountain HMA where they let a limited number of people on to hunt cows so it could be that as well.

I had the same initial interpretation of that interaction. There is an elk mountain HMA where they let a limited number of people on to hunt cows so it could be that as well.

Do the landowners have any say in who the limited number of people are? I see there are permission slips; I wonder if that’s by drawing or selection. I was acquaintances with an Elk Mountain guide back in the very early 2000’s and he got me on for a cow. Only because I knew him. The corner thing pissed me off back then, I still went and shot my cow. College is expensive and the G.I. Bill wasn’t worth much.

OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
Do the landowners have any say in who the limited number of people are? I see there are permission slips; I wonder if that’s by drawing or selection. I was acquaintances with an Elk Mountain guide back in the very early 2000’s and he got me on for a cow. Only because I knew him. The corner thing pissed me off back then, I still went and shot my cow. College is expensive and the G.I. Bill wasn’t worth much.
No, not through the HMA program, but they can allow additional people to hunt if they choose.

tdhanses

WKR
The video may bring to light corruption and get the case tossed but it won’t do anything to change the legality of corner crossing.

Now I haven’t seen the video but if the landowner gave the officers permission to cross their land then there is no corruption and the video really will be meaningless other then to individuals with emotion in the case.

Either way it is BS to try and exclude, has to be more to the video.

Last edited:
OP
B

BuzzH

WKR
The video may bring to light corruption and get the case tossed but it won’t do anything to change the legality of corner crossing.

Now I haven’t seen the video but if the landowner gave the officers permission to cross their land then there is no corruption and the video really will be meaningless other then to individuals with emotion in the case.

Either way it is BS to try and exclude, has to be more to the video.
The civil case is headed to federal court. If they lose the criminal case, they're appealing.

Not that you care either way...as you've said countless times.