WY general tag vs. NM

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
I understand that non-residents can modify/withdraw in Wyoming up until a certain date because we have to apply earlier than residents and specifics, including season dates may change after you apply. I understand that if you withdraw, you get your licence fee refunded after the draw takes place. I assume that you do not lose your preferance points but I cannot find that info?

Jethro

WKR
I understand that non-residents can modify/withdraw in Wyoming up until a certain date because we have to apply earlier than residents and specifics, including season dates may change after you apply. I understand that if you withdraw, you get your licence fee refunded after the draw takes place. I assume that you do not lose your preferance points but I cannot find that info?
Your assumption is correct.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
You only lose your preference points if you get drawn for your first choice, but maybe I shouldn't have said that.

You will likely not draw as a NR for either state, assuming you are applying for any decent hunt in NM and Wy general. If you apply with an outfitter for NM it will increase the tags available and possibly the odds in most units. You have to beat the odds and people get lucky every year. I apply for almost every species and have not drawn a single tag since losing my NM residency in 2014. I do tend to put in for the better units. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I feel very blessed and lucky, from 2016 to 2022 as non res. drew 4 Elk tags all for the same unit. Harvested two but should have filled tags every year. I am sure my streak is over but there is some strategy to applying

I feel very blessed and lucky, from 2016 to 2022 as non res. drew 4 Elk tags all for the same unit. Harvested two but should have filled tags every year. I am sure my streak is over but there is some strategy to applying

Congrats on the tags and your luck. I would be interested in hearing what tags you have drawn, not to get in on them but just to see how your draw strategy compares to mine. Growing up in NM I now tend to apply for the better units and units I know pretty well. I typically have had an elk tag in at least one other state. If I am going to hunt in NM I want a chance at a good bull. IM me if you are interested. If not I completely understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro