WY general tag vs. NM

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
With no tag refunds in Wyoming and New Mexico and only having one week to hunt out West in late September, I'm trying to pick one over the other this year for applications. I also have a couple options in CO if I don't draw either of these (which I'm assuming is the most likely outcome).

I have one point in WY. The way things are going I don't think I can plan on building enough PPs to be assured a general tag in the future or a desirable limited quota tag. So, I may as well just throw in for the random pool each year (probably S region this year), which I'm assuming will be <10% odds. All the NM tags I would apply for are going to be longer odds than that.

How would you think about this and decide which state to apply for? I guess the fundamental question is where would you rather hunt- WY general or a good NM unit.

I have hunted both NM and WY gen couple times. Depends on the NM tag...some are better than a WY gen some are worse...Not enough details in your OP to give good advice.

You will likely not draw as a NR for either state, assuming you are applying for any decent hunt in NM and Wy general. If you apply with an outfitter for NM it will increase the tags available and possibly the odds in most units. You have to beat the odds and people get lucky every year. I apply for almost every species and have not drawn a single tag since losing my NM residency in 2014. I do tend to put in for the better units. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

KHNC

WKR
That is exactly why I came here for advice - I did not realize that was an option
Yep, fatlander did you a huge favor putting that info out there. Many people dont know this, now many people do. You should thank him.

fatlander

WKR
Yep, fatlander did you a huge favor putting that info out there. Many people dont know this, now many people do. You should thank him.

You’re kidding right?

GoHunt and all their cronies have been talking about the withdrawal/modify date for years.

It’s plastered on the same webpage you apply for the tag on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
With no tag refunds in Wyoming and New Mexico and only having one week to hunt out West in late September, I'm trying to pick one over the other this year for applications. I also have a couple options in CO if I don't draw either of these (which I'm assuming is the most likely outcome).

I have one point in WY. The way things are going I don't think I can plan on building enough PPs to be assured a general tag in the future or a desirable limited quota tag. So, I may as well just throw in for the random pool each year (probably S region this year), which I'm assuming will be <10% odds. All the NM tags I would apply for are going to be longer odds than that.

How would you think about this and decide which state to apply for? I guess the fundamental question is where would you rather hunt- WY general or a good NM unit.
1706038870992.jpeg

KHNC

WKR
You’re kidding right?

GoHunt and all their cronies have been talking about the withdrawal/modify date for years.

It’s plastered on the same webpage you apply for the tag on.

I know exactly where it is. However , 3 years ago, i had no clue. STill 1000's of people that dont know anything about Gohunt and their cronies. But, im sure you were just trying to help. No harm in that.

fatlander

WKR
I know exactly where it is. However , 3 years ago, i had no clue. STill 1000's of people that dont know anything about Gohunt and their cronies. But, im sure you were just trying to help. No harm in that.

It’s in multiple places on the website. Wyoming game and fish sends you email reminders about the date through the spring.

It’s not a secret at all.

Laramie

WKR
It’s in multiple places on the website. Wyoming game and fish sends you email reminders about the date through the spring.

It’s not a secret at all.

You are completely right but so is KHNC. There are a pile of lazy people out there watering down the draw odds in all western states who have absolutely no clue because they have taken no time to research. How else can you explain the 1000s of new moose and sheep preference point purchases? Not mad at you for informing what should be obvious but anything that hurts draw odds has been a no from me now unless a person has at least spent some time trying to learn. The reality of it is anything you do to help only hurts your chances in the future.

fatlander

WKR
You are completely right but so is KHNC. There are a pile of lazy people out there watering down the draw odds in all western states who have absolutely no clue because they have taken no time to research. How else can you explain the 1000s of new moose and sheep preference point purchases? Not mad at you for informing what should be obvious but anything that hurts draw odds has been a no from me now unless a person has at least spent some time trying to learn. The reality of it is anything you do to help only hurts your chances in the future.

Is providing information about a widely publicized withdrawal date better or worse for draw odds than posting about winter kill or lack thereof in a specific part of the state?

Asking for a friend.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
You don't have to choose between WY & NM. Those states app deadlines/draws don't conflict.

1. Apply for WY GEN elk by 1/31.
2. Apply for NM units by 3/20.
3. Get results from NM in late April. If you draw NM, you modify (free) your WY appt to unit 124 (near 0% draw) and go hunt NM instead.
4. If you don't draw NM, you leave your WY gen app alone and hope you draw late May.

fatlander

WKR
You don't have to choose between WY & NM. Those states app deadlines/draws don't conflict.

1. Apply for WY GEN elk by 1/31.
2. Apply for NM units by 3/20.
3. Get results from NM in late April. If you draw NM, you modify (free) your WY appt to unit 124 (near 0% draw) and go hunt NM instead.
4. If you don't draw NM, you leave your WY gen app alone and hope you draw late May.

[mention]ladogg411 [/mention] you’ve done it now. Might as well post them honey hole coordinates