WY general tag vs. NM

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Is providing information about a widely publicized withdrawal date better or worse for draw odds than posting about winter kill or lack thereof in a specific part of the state?

Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh he’s got you there Laramie!

Maverick1

WKR
With no tag refunds in Wyoming and New Mexico and only having one week to hunt out West in late September, I'm trying to pick one over the other this year for applications. I also have a couple options in CO if I don't draw either of these (which I'm assuming is the most likely outcome).

I have one point in WY. The way things are going I don't think I can plan on building enough PPs to be assured a general tag in the future or a desirable limited quota tag. So, I may as well just throw in for the random pool each year (probably S region this year), which I'm assuming will be <10% odds. All the NM tags I would apply for are going to be longer odds than that.

How would you think about this and decide which state to apply for? I guess the fundamental question is where would you rather hunt- WY general or a good NM unit.
I've posted my non-value added meme to this thread already. I think that has become a prerequisite. Now I'll try to post something that adds value. (Key word "try").

The odds of drawing in either state are very low. It is highly unlinked you'd draw either tag, much less both of them in the same year, so I would apply in both. Could drawing two tags happen? Sure, it could. But the odds / probability is very low. As others have mentioned, there is the option to change or modify an application.

As far as a preference between the two states: I've had days in WY that have absolutely rocked. I've had days in NM that have been that way too. I'd probably give a nut or a pinky finger for more days like that. And, since it's elk hunting, I've had days in both states that have absolutely sucked, too. At this point, I'd be happy with a tag in either state.

Good luck in the draws!

moonface

FNG
You don't have to choose between WY & NM. Those states app deadlines/draws don't conflict.

1. Apply for WY GEN elk by 1/31.
2. Apply for NM units by 3/20.
3. Get results from NM in late April. If you draw NM, you modify (free) your WY appt to unit 124 (near 0% draw) and go hunt NM instead.
4. If you don't draw NM, you leave your WY gen app alone and hope you draw late May.
Great advice for the question proposed.

Wheels

WKR
Why are you guys letting the cat out of the bag that there is an application period in the above-mentioned states? There are 1000's of people that didn't know this and now you've just informed them of this.
Way to go, there goes my odds....

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I think this should be locked. That way all the people that depend on others and a quick post to a forum to make decisions on application process would be in the dark. This information is already out there for those willing to do the research. Heck it will affect the draw more that photos of rock formations. That got the ax real quick.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
You don't have to choose between WY & NM. Those states app deadlines/draws don't conflict.

1. Apply for WY GEN elk by 1/31.
2. Apply for NM units by 3/20.
3. Get results from NM in late April. If you draw NM, you modify (free) your WY appt to unit 124 (near 0% draw) and go hunt NM instead.
4. If you don't draw NM, you leave your WY gen app alone and hope you draw late May.
OP, also make sure to wrap in an AZ elk app along with WY & NM.

Az elk results post before 3/20 NM deadline most years. So easy to do all 3 with no risk.

As if this is some kind of secret.

Mojave

WKR
I hunted New Mexico for the past 5 years. I had bad hunts and good hunts.

High end draw units with lots of public land and limited tags in New Mexico are some of the best tags in America.

Low end draw units where they flood the unit are some of the worst. There are conga lines of trucks going up and down the mountain. No one wears orange and these idiots about kill one another over a forkie.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
With no tag refunds in Wyoming and New Mexico and only having one week to hunt out West in late September, I'm trying to pick one over the other this year for applications. I also have a couple options in CO if I don't draw either of these (which I'm assuming is the most likely outcome).

I have one point in WY. The way things are going I don't think I can plan on building enough PPs to be assured a general tag in the future or a desirable limited quota tag. So, I may as well just throw in for the random pool each year (probably S region this year), which I'm assuming will be <10% odds. All the NM tags I would apply for are going to be longer odds than that.

How would you think about this and decide which state to apply for? I guess the fundamental question is where would you rather hunt- WY general or a good NM unit.
First, I would take a "good" NM unit over a WY general unit hands down.

Second, I'd start e-scouting and planning to come to Colorado because your chances of drawing WY general with one point, or a "good" NM unit as a NR are slim to anorexic.

If it was me, I'd put in for both and withdraw my WY app if I pulled NM. As long as NMDGF doesn't screw up and post draw results until June again this year....like they did last year.

Mojave

WKR
Not naming units. But yes, of course any good New Mexico tag, especially during the beginning of the season or late season is a good tag.

A general tag in Wyoming can be very good. It can also be a conga line scheizzer schow.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
NM is the one state where your odds are equal to everyone else, year after year. they may be low, but they are equal, and for that reason I will always apply there.