Wyo General Rifle

Forest

WKR
I know I know, another Wyoming general thread. My question is specific to what I can expect in the RIFLE season. Seems like a vast majority of the info out there is all about the archery season. While there is a slight chance I could make it in archery season it is most likely I wouldn't be able to go until rifle. I am looking at the units in the eastern half of the state because of logistics (I live in eastern MT) and there's also a good chance I could end up on my own for parts of the hunt so would prefer to stay away from griz country.

My concerns:
1- hunting pressure. Is it worse early than late in the season similar to montana?? Once harvest is over I have a pretty flexible schedule so can try to work around the crowds and weather.
2- decent quality. Is there a realistic chance at shooting a good quality bull if the time and miles are put in??

Most everyone says don't save up points, hunt the general, and if archery hunting it makes a lot of sense. But i'm worried they maybe get pushed off public by the time rifle season comes around, on top of heavier hunting pressure, and thus just not that great of a hunt???

There are certain places that have the problem of the elk moving onto private during public. Have to zero in on a specific area and learn the elk habits there.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
Born and Raised are in the middle of rifle general on their youtube. Might have a look at what they're encountering.
ya I have been watching that. Pretty much just road hunting but other than that not impressed thus far....

OP
F

Forest

WKR
There are certain places that have the problem of the elk moving onto private during public. Have to zero in on a specific area and learn the elk habits there.
That's fair, guess I should try to zero in on just one or two units and would probably help me make up my mind. There area a couple units that I would have really liked to hunt but have pretty much ruled them out because of it

cnelk

WKR
There are only 2 Gen areas where you're wanting to go.
Call the the G&F and also look at the Job Completion Reports for those areas - they have some hidden nuggets of info

Just thought I’d mention that there definitely are NOT grizzlies everywhere on the west side. I know it’s a further drive for you but you don’t have to deal with private land. Unlimited undisturbed opportunities. I love it and so far I have zero unpunched tags.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
There are only 2 Gen areas where you're wanting to go.
Call the the G&F and also look at the Job Completion Reports for those areas - they have some hidden nuggets of info
No I have been looking at the pocket of units west of Laramie a lot as well. I guess that's probably considered south central. Essentially I meant east of the Rockies ha

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Lefty26

FNG
From my experience there are people on horses everywhere. Going further in on foot does not necessarily help. Have to find little pockets that people overlook or are hard to reach on horseback. There was definitely more people hunting during rifle season than I anticipated.

If one of your main goals is to get away from people, you will need a pack string and a lot of time. For a state that has the smallest population in the US, it seems like everyone hunts up there. You can plan on a lot of hunters in the woods on the Rifle Elk. On the flip side, you’ve still got a good chance to get a good bull if you put in the effort as there are plenty of elk.

wytx

WKR
You will not find many on horseback in the areas you're looking at. Most hunt close to the roads and not really hard to get away from other hunters, but use the pressure to your advantage.
Yes, you will see other hunters, many locals hunt close to roads from their atv but some put in the work to get away from roads.
Opening weekend has the most pressure so come out during the week.
The elk do not all move to private land either. The rougher the road the more atvs will use it but again usually not far from their wheels.
Hunt the thick blow down areas and you'll be far from most folks.

Last edited:
If you know anything about horses then you know they can’t go everywhere. And even if someone rides one somewhere they still have to walk to where the elk are. You don’t actually hunt from horseback. I’d suggest hunting just east... of Idaho.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just thought I’d mention that there definitely are NOT grizzlies everywhere on the west side. I know it’s a further drive for you but you don’t have to deal with private land. Unlimited undisturbed opportunities. I love it and so far I have zero unpunched tags.
I saw more people in western Wyoming during rifle season last year than I've ever seen in any other state. It was another reminder of why I don't rifle hunt elk. Hunted 4 different units, from 1 mile deep to 10 miles deep, ran into people in all of them. I like the country, but I'm done with Wyoming. Might reconsider once they get rid of their outfitter subsidy rule for the wilderness areas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I will say that during archery I was pretty much alone until rifle deer opened up. This was just east... of Idaho.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

icon6669

FNG
At least you can buy the archery tag OTC for most of the general units and don't have to decide up front.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
At least you can buy the archery tag OTC for most of the general units and don't have to decide up front.
You can buy the archery stamp, but not the tag. It's the same tag whether you want to hunt during archery or rifle. Must apply by end of January.
Residents might be able to purchase over the counter, but not nonresidents

BuzzH

WKR
Lots of elk in general areas, crowds depend on the time you hunt and what units. Theres enough general units, IMO, that pressure gets spread around.

Quality is another thing. I see decent six points every year I hunt general units, usually end up killing a raghorn or a cow.

Best bull I've shot in a general unit in Wyoming:

IMG_4064.JPG

Lots of elk in general areas, crowds depend on the time you hunt and what units. Theres enough general units, IMO, that pressure gets spread around.

Quality is another thing. I see decent six points every year I hunt general units, usually end up killing a raghorn or a cow.

IMG_4064.JPG
Nice bull man! There are people who save points for years hoping to kill a bull like that because they don’t realize how good general license areas are.

MNhntr82

FNG

IMG_4064.JPG
Awesome animal. Looks like archery season?