Wyoming Bighorns Type 1 Rifle Tag

nn76858

FNG
Hey guys I got extremely lucky in the random this year and drew rifle tag in the Bighorns with only 4 points. I live on the coast of North Carolina. Been traveling to the Midwest chasing whitetails for 10 years all DIY and cashed in my Colorado points last year and hunted 11 days on an archery tag. Logged 121 miles and got drawn back 3 times but no shot. I have a friend who has hunted the unit twice and will get some starting points and areas to check out from him as well as hopefully a contact on a place to rent and stay. I will probably drive out and plan to give this tag the time it deserves. Any help from anyone who has hunted this area is greatly appreciated. I have the drive and the work ethic and a lifetime of hunting experience but I'm new to the elk game and trying to absorb as much info as possible. I hope to have someone to come with me and help me so I'm not solo but I'm going regardless. Please pm or contact me at 9198192118 if you have any info your willing to share. Also I run a 60 ft sportfishing boat on the coast of NC for a living. https://www.annieosportfishing.com
And for the right help I could definitely work out a trade on a gulf stream fishing trip. Thank you guys so much for all the content I get to read I like to try and keep my ears open and my mouth shut as this is such a great resource for the hunting world. Thanks for your time and have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
N

nn76858

FNG
Mad a typo actually had 5 points but not really relevant.....

BigDog00

WKR
As has been mentioned these kinds of posts aren't regarded well. I'll help out with some basic info that I know. I have no direct experience in that unit, but the Bighorns are notorious for early migration in the event of snow. If I was you, I would plan to hunt earlier in the season versus later. I've heard of the elk completely migrating off the mountain in mid-September due to significant snow. It would be a good idea to look at lower BLM and State ground as a backup plan in the event that happens. The other consideration would be wilderness area access. If you don't have a resident guide (or outfitter) you will not be able to access any of the wilderness area...if that unit has any. It should be a good hunt so get into as good of shape as possible and be ready to hike your butt off.

OP
N

nn76858

FNG
Sorry guys wasn't trying to rub anyone the wrong way. Just looking for any general intel I could get. I will be in great shape and work extremely hard. I'm not looking for someone of the forum to come hunt w me I will recruit my own help just was curious if anyone had any previous experience with this particular unit.

Forget looking for a place to rent and plan on camping in the NF. You will save yourself a a bunch of driving time especially if it snows like last year. Congrats on the tag and Good Luck!

trading a gulf stream fishing trip for some privately shared unit intel on a tag you already have seems pretty fair to me. one day offshore on a 60' can set you back about as much as a 5 day guided hunt.

if I had any WY intel, i'd make that trade in a heartbeat.

OP, let me clarify. Lot of good people on here that may or may not share information if you show you've done your own research and put in a level of effort. What won't get you far is posting unit numbers. That is now on google and will direct anybody looking to this thread. I'd edit your post name and let the PM system work.

Laramie

WKR
OP, let me clarify. Lot of good people on here that may or may not share information if you show you've done your own research and put in a level of effort. What won't get you far is posting unit numbers. That is now on google and will direct anybody looking to this thread. I'd edit your post name and let the PM system work.
Pretty hard to offer a trade for intel on an area without mentioning it. Now if he was spilling the beans, I could be on board with your stance. The real damage comes from those that spill the beans as replies. That is where the PM system is necessary to me.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on your hunt wish I could help you out but I have never been there. I'm sure you'll get some PMs.

Kurts86

WKR
The Bighorns rifle elk hunt as already mentioned entirely hinges on snow or lack there of. Sometime between October 1-15th you are going to get a big storm and it’s entirely possible the NF portions of the mountain are mostly impassable by mid-October. Ideally you show up with an ATV with tracks to be prepared. Hunt the earliest days of the season and hope for decent weather. Elk densities are good in the bighorns and you just need good weather to find them and get to them.