Wyoming Deer Unit 66

tacoma96

FNG
Next week I'll be heading to Wyoming Unit 66 trying again for my first Mule Deer. Just curious what everyone has been seeing for crowds this year. I've got a buddy just back from Idaho for elk and he said it was crazy and I am planning on the same for Wyoming. I've already done all of the e-scouting I can so I hope i have a good spot picked but I am ready to be fluid and find another area. Any ideas what to expect for weather. Packing it all in case I have some curve balls but I have been buying the best i can afford a little at a time in the way of gear and optics.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from region c, lots of people everywhere! That with the full moon. Didn't see much for deer. Good luck hopefully you find a quiet place

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Casper. Weather here is still pretty warm. It’s cooling off at night but today was upwards of 70 again. It’ll be cooler where you’re hunting but not a ton and I don’t think the weather I supposed to change much. I would bet on crowds too. I was elk hunting in an OTC unit 2 weeks ago and it’s the busiest I’ve ever seen it during archery. It felt more like the rifle opener. For example I hadn’t been to that area since 2018 because I drew a limited quota unit last year but that year I saw exactly two other hunters on roughly the same weekend and this year it was people everywhere you looked

OP
T

tacoma96

FNG
May seem like a dumb question but this forecast would push the deer lower and hopefully make them stand out a little better during glassing if there is snow correct?

wytx

WKR
Not lower but may get them feeding longer at first light.
Makes a fun still hunt or stalk on fresh tracks.
You will be amazed how well mule deer can disappear on sage or brushy hillsides in snow. Their butts stand out nicely without it, tends to blend in with snow. Good snow cover would be great, patchy cover makes them harder to spot.

Don Day is also a bowhunter.

Not lower but may get them feeding longer at first light.
Makes a fun still hunt or stalk on fresh tracks.
You will be amazed how well mule deer can disappear on sage or brushy hillsides in snow. Their butts stand out nicely without it, tends to blend in with snow. Good snow cover would be great, patchy cover makes them harder to spot.

Don Day is also a bowhunter.
Don's a bow hunter, huh? Gonna have to meet that guy at some point.

Glad you like still hunting and stalking fresh tracks! For some reason, I'm real romantic about getting a buck killed that way. It's how my dad/grandpas all liked to hunt. Hoping it happens this weekend!

Oh and good luck to the OP - @tacoma96

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
We were close to there and there were a lot of hunters, but we managed to fill 3 deer tags. Killed all of ours after spotting them at first light and making a play before they bedded down.