Wyoming DIY Non Resident Bear, Unit 8 & 9

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy and I are thinking of a DIY spring bear hunt in Wyoming. We're not afraid to spend some time on our feet getting into the country, but we don't want to step on other hunters and bait sites.

Looking at Units 8 or 9. Are these units doable as spot and stalk?

Again, not afraid of a hike, but we don't want to be on a fools errand either if we don't have a bait site nor do we want to interfere with other hunters. As of now, coming out a week early to register, set up and maintain a bait sight is not likely in the cards.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Same boat. Wife is pregnant so that will dictate my opportunity. I’ve hunted just south of the border in Colorado. Beetle kill is major issue so I assume it’s the same in Wyoming. The Mullen Fire is another thing to keep on your radar.

It's hard to do spot and stalk in the areas that I've been out there. Every place I've seen good sign has been tight dark cover with no good visibility into it. I have run into Hunters repeatedly out there... more so than any other place in Wyoming that I have hunted bear. Other thing to watch out for is people hiking the Continental Divide Trail which can get a little amusing. Ran into an austrian guy last year who didn't realize there were Bears out there.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Assuming a spring hunt.
You may have issues getting into the high country in the spring. Buddy has a cabin soutoof Elk Mountain and it can be the first of June before we can get in there some years.
Good luck.

Definitely an issue! One year there was a grader stuck behind a several drifts 6-8 ft tall 10-15 miles from National Forest so they could not clear the road for almost half the season. Just depends on the year. I would prefer to hunt elsewhere but it's only 2 and 1/2 hours from my office!

Huntin_GI

WKR
Definitely an issue! One year there was a grader stuck behind a several drifts 6-8 ft tall 10-15 miles from National Forest so they could not clear the road for almost half the season. Just depends on the year. I would prefer to hunt elsewhere but it's only 2 and 1/2 hours from my office!
Guessing you're coming from the Norther Front Range? Expected the proximity would increase the pressure. You take an ATV up for access? Any success?

Just drive in and start hiking. 1 for three spot and stalk in that area. Just hard to get good places to really glass from. But I may just suck at bear..self taught and solo. Done better in Idaho but better visibility...just so steep you don't want to slip! Only 4 years of going after bears though.

aidan_downey

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a good area to go. I have found quite a few bears there the last few years just haven't quite been able to seal the deal. Seen a couple monster color phases which is awesome. I do all spot and stalk just cause bait isn't my thing, nothing against it just not for me. Access can be tough but if you don't mind wading through waist to belly button high snow then you will find them. Another more open area to check out is Unit 7. Not quite as many bears as the snowies and Sierras, but I have seen quite a few elk hunting out there and the amount of bears coming out of there every years is not anything to scoff at. Also the snow melts off a lot fast in those mountains so if you want to go either go on the early end when they are still following the snow line, or the later end when boars are on hump patrol.

OP
H

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everybody. My wife surprised me with an early birthday present and helped me find a guide in N Idaho (unit 10), Im booked to hunt may 23-28