Wyoming Elk Unit 38 - Crater Ridge Fire

TinCup1

FNG
Good morning,
Curious to hear from anyone who may have drawn in Wyoming Elk Unit 38 and what your thougths are regarding the USFS Closer of the majority of the unit due to the Crater Ridge Fire. The fire is out of control, growing from 1,60 acres to 6,500 acres in 2 weeks. Whole the fire isnt threatening the majority of 38 habitat, the USFS closure has 2/3 of the unit shut down to any access. Given the dry conditions, the lack of access to the rough terrain, the reports are that it will continue until the first heavy snowfall which will likely take the herd with it, down hill. After waiting 10 years to draw a tag in this unit, wondering what options exist to salvage he hunt, including pleas to the WDFG for a refund?

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
That’s terrible luck. Hope you get something figured out. Thats a long time to wait and have the unit closed.

sharpbb14

FNG
@TinCup1 We are in the same boat. My buddy called the DOW and they said the rule is that they will not offer refunds or tags for next year until at least 50% of the huntable public ground is closed. The area that is closed is supposedly only 42%ish of the available ground. So, pray to the good Lord for rain and make due with what is available. Unless you hear of something different, that is all I know.

OP
T

TinCup1

FNG
@TinCup1 We are in the same boat. My buddy called the DOW and they said the rule is that they will not offer refunds or tags for next year until at least 50% of the huntable public ground is closed. The area that is closed is supposedly only 42%ish of the available ground. So, pray to the good Lord for rain and make due with what is available. Unless you hear of something different, that is all I know.
Encouraged by the recent cooler temps and higher moisture. Curious if anyone on the ground in 38 is hearing any news of USFS lifting the closure with the fire coming under higher containment. Also curious to hear from anyone on the ground what the hunting/camping pressure/air quality is like in the rest of the area. We leave from WI on the 15th, keeping finger crossed for continued improvement and success for all.

KHNC

WKR
3 years ago, i hunted an area in Wyoming that USFS closed for fires that werent within 10 miles of my actual hunting area. Even though the fires were contained within 2 weeks, the unit remained closed until late October, over a month later. Unless it rains a lot, dont expect anything to open again til October at the earliest.

sharpbb14

FNG
Encouraged by the recent cooler temps and higher moisture. Curious if anyone on the ground in 38 is hearing any news of USFS lifting the closure with the fire coming under higher containment. Also curious to hear from anyone on the ground what the hunting/camping pressure/air quality is like in the rest of the area. We leave from WI on the 15th, keeping finger crossed for continued improvement and success for all.
The camping should be about the same as the main camping areas are all open for camping. They likely won't open it. The reports all say the fire won't be considered out until the first major weather push of snow or rain. Like KHNC said, it likely won't open back up until October. Hunting pressure will be interesting as every body will be condensed to the southern half of the unit. Despite it sucking, No use getting to stressed out about it as it is out of our hands.

Just got back from 38, had a type 4 cow tag. Since they shrunk the closure area in September there is still lots of ground to hunt. Maybe because it was only cow season but not much for hunters around. Lots of elk though.