Wyoming unit 45 post hunt report

Just finished a week in unit 45 with Justin Jarrett of Wapiti ridge outfitters. It was a tough week of high temps, more hunting pressure than expected with the state releasing 200 cow tags in the unit. Didn't expect to see so much orange in a "trophy" unit. Can't say enough about Justin Jarrett and his staff. Camp was really comfortable with clean, first class 2 man wall tents. Comfortable cots with pads, Propane heaters. The food was really good by camp cook "Beak". Guides were all friendly and very hard working. Justin goes out of his way to communicate with every guide and client every day to do his best to make sure we are happy. He and his staff busted thier butts getting us as far away from the orange as possible.

After 4 /12 hard days of hunting/riding we finally tagged a bull on the last night. Justin and his staff would not give up. He wasn't representative of the size of Bull we were hoping for but I have always said any Bull Elk is a trophy elk. The bottom line is it was a great adventure, with really nice hard working people and I have elk meat in my freezer. This week was why they call it hunting not shooting......

I can't recommend JJ and Wapiti Ridge enough should you be looking at this unit next year.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Good writeup. I don't believe 45 is managed as a "trophy" unit though. Limited entry yes. Trophy unit no.

KHNC

WKR
Nice report! Should be easy to find in the future for reference. Thanks!

OP
CAElkhunter
Good writeup. I don't believe 45 is managed as a "trophy" unit though. Limited entry yes. Trophy unit no.
I guess trophy is relative. I know it is not considered top tier like 59 etc but expectations are you will see mature bulls in the 320-350 range which for most Elk hunters would be considered a trophy. With the pressure that was not the case. Not looking for an argument but when it takes 13 points to draw expectations are you would see some big elk. Overall I am not disappointed with the experience at all.

jmez

WKR
I guess trophy is relative. I know it is not considered top tier like 59 etc but expectations are you will see mature bulls in the 320-350 range which for most Elk hunters would be considered a trophy. With the pressure that was not the case. Not looking for an argument but when it takes 13 points to draw expectations are you would see some big elk. Overall I am not disappointed with the experience at all.
Pretty common knowledge that 45 isn't near what it used to be. Your description would have been accurate several years ago. Not anymore. It is a 13 point unit because guys with 5 pts started chasing it 8 years ago when it was good.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
CA I agree any elk is a trophy ,glade you had a good trip and positive mindset!

The Type 5 cow tags weren't valid during the time you were hunting your bull tag, in fact the WGFD removed the archery cow season altogether to reduce pressure. You were likely seeing the army of resident general and nonresident regional deer hunters. The Type 6 cow tag that was valid during the bull season was limited to off National Forest. Your Type 1 runs all the way until November 4th.

OP
CAElkhunter
Bottom line I had a great adventure. We talked to several of the cow hunters. They were hunting during the Bull time with a whole camp of cow tags. They have every right to be there. I am not debating that. It was just not represented to me that I would see that. We hunted the wilderness and ended up getting way back away from everyone. I do believe the main culprit for the difficulties was the warm weather. Some people may consider hunting 5 days really hard and killing a Bull using an outfitter a downside. I saw it as a great experience in the outdoors. I would have mixed feelings to step out of my tent on to a horse and shoot a big bull the first morning. I have nothing but praise for JJ and his outfit and the work they put in.

Two great reasons to love Elk hunting. The meat which is spectacular and how tough those bastards are.
I return from every Elk hunt with a new level of respect for Bull Elk. They are the "GOAT's" of big game in my opinion.

Last edited: