Wyoming elk

Cole97

FNG
Happy to be home and have a cooler of meat. Tagged out on a small bull first day in mid western Wyoming. The okie group went 4 for 6 on archery elk. 2 bulls n 2 cows.
Can’t wait to go back someday. Ready to gear up now for rifle elk in NM. Lord willing we fill all 4.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on your group's success. Will be in South Western Wyoming next week for riffle, sounding like it's going to be a warm and dry opener for riffle. Hopefully, the bulls will still be bugling.

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
It was very dry. No ground fires to be made where we were. Prolly be good as while we were there the elk weren’t talkin a whole lot.

wytx

WKR
Congrats, you all beat the odds for elk hunters.
Glad you had a good trip and safe travels.

Congrats! I was in Wy for two weeks and had a couple close calls but no filled tag. Was a rough year with how hot and dry it was. Very little bugling compared to previous years. Adaptability is the name of the game and we struggled to capitalize. Well done to all who did well in Wy this year!

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Thanks again and yes it was crazy dry up there. Not much talkin goin on either or at least what we was hoping for. On other hand. They were screaming in Colorado last few days.

satchamo

WKR
All the locals complained of no bugling and not finding elk. Our dumbasses we’re in bulls daily and they bugled, every single day.

You have to be willing to get dirty in the nasty deadfall ridden dark timber. And also - hunt midday. We had our best luck from 8-2. Evenings were awful and early mornings were slow as well. We had a few good first light morning but for the most part hiked most of the early hours trying to get into elk.

We were in southern WY

OP
Cole97

Cole97

FNG
Yup. Killed mine straight up noon but still not as vocal as I’d like where we all were. Guess don’t matter though lol.

Koon

FNG
That's great success with archery! Did you use an outfitter or DIY?

Nice! I will be in Western WY again this year on my General Tag. According to the WY Harvest data, you weren't in the Unit we will be hitting.