Wyoming Lowlands Elk

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
My Dad and I put in for a Wyoming unit (I'll leave the number out) that should be 100% draw odds. The unit has a small piece of the south side of the Wind River range and tons of open sage flat land and irrigated ag fields. Our tag if we draw will allow us to hunt from Sept. 20 until the end of October. A couple years ago we found some elk in Idaho that were living in the sage (middle of Sept.) around ag fields and came very close to sealing the deal on a big mature bull with a bow. I've also seen elk in the sage while antelope hunting in Wyoming in Sept.

My question is how many elk live in the flat lowlands year around? Is it worth trying to focus on theses types of areas to get away from other hunters? My dad is close to 70 so we are trying to stay away from too extreme of terrain, he's also never killed an elk but has tried several times. We are non-residents from Kansas and plan on making a short trip out for the opener in Sept. to scout/hunt then go back towards the end Oct. for a longer trip when hopefully some elk have moved out of the wilderness area. We are thinking there will be elk around the alfalfa fields in Sept. in the areas where there are some contours to the sage flats... ravines, knolls, etc. Are we on the right track?

Any input would be much appreciated. ~JoshIMG-2294.jpg

Depends on the area, but in some flatter areas in the south of WY, there are resident elk herds that don’t move around much. I would talk to the wildlife biologist, and if there are some year round elk spots, go after em.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the area, but in some flatter areas in the south of WY, there are resident elk herds that don’t move around much. I would talk to the wildlife biologist, and if there are some year round elk spots, go after em.
Thanks, calling the biologists in the area is on my list of things to do.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Yall can also do a private land elk hunt in september in the plains of Colorado. Lots of elk out there and definitely not difficult to hunt.

www.kiowacreekoutfitters.com
I would be all for it if it didn't come with a $7500 price tag. I have a hard time paying that much for an elk hunt when I can take a trip to Alaska for the same price. Maybe some day I'll be in a spot financially to drop money on guided hunts every year but not right now.

My dad is in pretty good shape for his age and can handle moderate mountain terrain. We already put in for Wyoming so we are committed to trying it this year.

KHNC

WKR
I would be all for it if it didn't come with a $7500 price tag. I have a hard time paying that much for an elk hunt when I can take a trip to Alaska for the same price. Maybe some day I'll be in a spot financially to drop money on guided hunts every year but not right now.

My dad is in pretty good shape for his age and can handle moderate mountain terrain. We already put in for Wyoming so we are committed to trying it this year.
I think Dan Ardrey charges 4k at the site link i posted. Just have to give him a call. Its rifle or bow.

go_deep

WKR
I have personally seen a herd of elk inside the interstate fence on the I25 and I80 cloverleaf in Cheyenne, you can find elk anywhere.

3forks

WKR
To the OP, a lot of elk will be in lower areas closer to agricultural fields year round, but you typically are going to have to hunt them close to private/on the fence line as they’re moving to and from bedding areas. That kind of approach leads to a lot more confrontation with landowners. Also, you typically won’t be the only hunters trying to get on elk that are hanging close to ag fields or in the sage because they’re easily seen by many others.

For an archery hunt, if you’re hunting terrain similar to what is in the picture you posted, calling elk will be more difficult. Just as when trying to call above timberline with limited cover, elk will want to see the the elk making the bugle or cow call, and they will be harder to approach or will hang up easily.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
To the OP, a lot of elk will be in lower areas closer to agricultural fields year round, but you typically are going to have to hunt them close to private/on the fence line as they’re moving to and from bedding areas. That kind of approach leads to a lot more confrontation with landowners. Also, you typically won’t be the only hunters trying to get on elk that are hanging close to ag fields or in the sage because they’re easily seen by many others.

For an archery hunt, if you’re hunting terrain similar to what is in the picture you posted, calling elk will be more difficult. Just as when trying to call above timberline with limited cover, elk will want to see the the elk making the bugle or cow call, and they will be harder to approach or will hang up easily.
We've only ever archery hunted for elk, this will be our fist hunt with a rifle. In 4 years hunting Idaho public land we killed one small bull, missed some shots and had tons of opportunities. Decided to try something different this year. I figured there wouldn't much calling in the flat terrain more spot and stalk and cutting elk off heading back to bed or going out to feed. The pic above was a herd I glassed on an ag field and watched them bed down in the sage. I marked a pin on them at 5 miles away and was able to sneak with 50 yards. Unfortunately I rushed the shot and missed.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I believe I know the area you’re talking about well. Send me a PM I might be able to help

cnelk

WKR
It doesn’t matter how many elk live in the lowland year round.

It only matters how many elk are in the lowlands during hunting season.

Big difference