Wyoming Mule Deer Win—go MDF!

amassi

WKR
It seems like the west is absolutely choked with cheatgrass from eastern CA to Kansas...
Does anyone know if this typically would have been handled by bison et el? Why is it so prevalent now??

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
It seems like the west is absolutely choked with cheatgrass from eastern CA to Kansas...
Does anyone know if this typically would have been handled by bison et el? Why is it so prevalent now??

It’s an invasive species as far as I know. So no, would not have been typically eaten by native game as for millennia it was not here. Provides little forage value, grows quickly, dries out fast and burns like heck. Chukar’s like it, but they are an introduced species themselves.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
It’s an invasive species as far as I know. So no, would not have been typically eaten by native game. Provides little forage value, grows quickly, dries out fast and burns like heck. Chukar’s like it, but they are an introduced species themselves.
Will cows eat it?

Tmac

WKR
Sure, especially when new. As will other animals. But as far as I know, they prefer native grasses and will tend to hit those, potentially making the cheatgrass more prevalent. Depends on how dominate the cheatgrass is, time of year, extent of grazing, and more. Still plenty of conflicting opinions on the topic.

As Tmac said cheatgrass is a complicated topic. It provides little benefit to native big game but they will eat it in late winter/early spring when it's the only green on the landscape.
It has potential to cause deer to scour and is likely a poor source of nutrients.
Like if we ate strait mac and cheese for two weeks? Still be alive but not functioning at top end.
Ask a rancher if he'd rather have cheatgrass or sage brush on his deeded lands or BLM allotments. - The answer is not good for deer.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Cheat Grass is bad. Very bad.
Invasive like you wouldn't believe.
First to green up, but little nutritional value.
After fires, first to come back, choking out other species.
Spreads by hitching a ride on your truck.

Jimss

WKR
Believe me, long term cheatgrass control is a game changer for mule deer and other wildlife throughout the Western US! I've devoted my 35+ year career to invasive weed research and management. The new strategies for long-term cheatgrass control is the most exciting thing I have ever worked on. The almost immediate results are amazing! PM me if you need any info. I have gobs of data, photos, and other information.

Here is another interesting Mule Deer Foundation article that was published several years ago.