Wyoming preference points.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
hi all,

im looking for some information on what i can expect with certain numbers of deer points in Wyoming? whats the minimum number of points needed to get a tag? and what can i expect from a 3pt unit vs a 5 pt unit vs a 10 Pt. unit Ect.

i started building points and im just trying to have a long term plan.

if anyone could wither give me some info or point me towards some additional resources i would appreciate it.

thanks!

In the same boat, also picked up points for my 12yr old so he can have a great hunt in his future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gkempf

FNG
Yep in the same boat. Have got 7 points and don’t really know what to do. The areas I want claim it will take 11 to draw. Wish there was a legit resource that could give non resident hunters some honest info on what they should do.

NDGuy

WKR
Wish there was a legit resource that could give non resident hunters some honest info on what they should do.
Are you serious?:rolleyes: All of the information is on a multitude of sites. Wyoming G&F website, GOHunt, Hunt A Fool etc take your pick. Or were you looking to have someone tell you to go to unit XXX?

gkempf

FNG
Easy killer!! Not at all asking for a freakin handout!! I’m talkin about playing the point game. Don’t know if a person should hold out for max points or get close and just start applying.

Last edited:

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
It would probably help if guys narrowed down the general part of the state you’d be most interested in first. Do you want a mountain hunt, high plains, etc? Good hunts can be had in all. Such a general question is tough for others to answer. General areas can be had with zero points and you could probably get it as a second choice so go check it out no points lost and decide if you want to move onto a different area.

FURMAN

WKR
While there are several great resources I think Gohunt is probably the best single tool for making a plan, both short and longterm. It will help sort based on YOUR situation not what others tell you.

NICKJ

WKR
Like they said above, check out gohunt. They have application strategy articles for each state that tell you what are your best options at various point levels. Definitely helps point you in the right direction.

Wapiti1

WKR
Eastman's is another decent resource and they give a rundown of ideas when you don't have max points. It's $30 for a subscription to get some good info. Their blog also has good info.

Jeremy

gkempf

FNG
Thank you guys for your responses. Knew nothing about Gohunt but got the subscription. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Easy killer!! Not at all asking for a freakin handout!! I’m talkin about playing the point game. Don’t know if a person should hold out for max points or get close and just start applying.

As a guy with max points, I’d say you will never draw a max points tag, there are probably about 50,000 folks ahead of you. Much better idea to go ever year or two.

OP
T

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
As a guy with max points, I’d say you will never draw a max points tag, there are probably about 50,000 folks ahead of you. Much better idea to go ever year or two.
What do you mean by max points? And is there an in between from every other yeatlr to Max points? Does a guy get a better hunt with say 6 ponts vs 1 or 2

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Going into next year’s deer draw, max points are 14. There are some units that max point holders only have a 20-30% chance of being drawn. You can get one preference point each year. 75% of the tags in WY go to the max point holders. Typically the units that take more points are “better” but not always.

Fatcamp

WKR
Wyoming started selling points 13 or 14 years ago. There are a bunch of people who buy points who either don't hunt or hunt 2nd choice tags and just continue to build points. Those who have the highest possible number of points are "Max point holders". You will never catch up.

Honestly, this is Wyoming 101. You owe it to yourself to go to their site and read how the draw works. Until you understand that you will struggle to make informed decisions. Yes, 6 points opens up options that 1-2 do not. Better, idk.