Wyoming to Tennessee move, sort of.

mgmicky

FNG
I have lived all over the US, both as a kid (Air Force brat) and as an adult, and I agree with a lot of what has been said about some of the southern culture—fake nice, etc. I have been living in northeast TN for 3 years, near the border of VA/NC, and it’s really different than a lot of the southern cities I‘ve lived in. The culture here to me is very similar to the midwest—conservative values, hardworking, genuine tell it how it is vs beat around the bush or “fake nice”. We are right in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, and the weather is very different than even Knoxville, which is 2 hours to the west. It’s humid, but not brutal heat like Nashville and Memphis (I think we only had 3 days last summer where it hit 90). I like having a true change of seasons, vs just spring and summer all year like some of the places I’ve lived. Anyway, the point is that TN is like a lot states, where the culture can be very different depending on what are you are in. Good luck in your decisions.

I have lived all over the US, both as a kid (Air Force brat) and as an adult, and I agree with a lot of what has been said about some of the southern culture—fake nice, etc. I have been living in northeast TN for 3 years, near the border of VA/NC, and it’s really different than a lot of the southern cities I‘ve lived in. The culture here to me is very similar to the midwest—conservative values, hardworking, genuine tell it how it is vs beat around the bush or “fake nice”. We are right in the heart of the Appalachian mountains, and the weather is very different than even Knoxville, which is 2 hours to the west. It’s humid, but not brutal heat like Nashville and Memphis (I think we only had 3 days last summer where it hit 90). I like having a true change of seasons, vs just spring and summer all year like some of the places I’ve lived. Anyway, the point is that TN is like a lot states, where the culture can be very different depending on what are you are in. Good luck in your decisions.
Could not agree more. What some forget or dont realize, is how long, East to West, Tennessee really is. East Tenn is some of the most beautiful land we have here. There is a reason I did not list Knoxville with the high crime areas like Memphis, Nashville and Chattanooga. To me, since I was born here, East Tennessee is kind of like how the whole state was 50-60 years ago. I actually think since most are moving here from the West, the East Tenn mountains is the last place they get to lol just a theory lol I also think some of the "fake" southern stuff is coming from people that are not generational here. It is not difficult if you have lived your whole life here to discern between the "honest" and "fake". Your description mgmicky is quite accurate.

EdP

WKR
Every time I hear Bless your heart from a southerner I tell them to eat a bag of donkey danglers.

My secretary was pissed when I told her that to southerners it means F. U.
That's not right really. "Bless your heart" has 2 meanings in the south, both of which have been touched on above. One is an actual sincere thank you for something you have done that helped another person. The other is an insult calling you too stupid to understand, essentially the same as the midwest "so and so, God bless him." In this case, it really does depend on the context.

I lived 18 years in Paducah Ky, not far from Paris Tn. A lot of what is described above regarding "fake nice" is true, but not of all people. When I retired I moved to southwest Va - not far at all from mgmickey. Here at my house at 2000ft elevation the weather is far less humid than Paducah, winters are less severe and summer heat is less severe. I don't know why but we don't have the scourge of chiggers and I enjoy the outdoors 12 months a year whereas that was not the case at all in the Paducah area.

That's not right really. "Bless your heart" has 2 meanings in the south, both of which have been touched on above. One is an actual sincere thank you for something you have done that helped another person. The other is an insult calling you too stupid to understand, essentially the same as the midwest "so and so, God bless him." In this case, it really does depend on the context.

I lived 18 years in Paducah Ky, not far from Paris Tn. A lot of what is described above regarding "fake nice" is true, but not of all people. When I retired I moved to southwest Va - not far at all from mgmickey. Here at my house at 2000ft elevation the weather is far less humid than Paducah, winters are less severe and summer heat is less severe. I don't know why but we don't have the scourge of chiggers and I enjoy the outdoors 12 months a year whereas that was not the case at all in the Paducah area.
EDP, yall have one of the best pork chop restaurants in the country in Paducah, I was afraid they would not rebuild it after the fire, but they did, and it is as good as ever.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
There are a pile of turkeys around Paris. Hank Williams Jr. also calls it home. I have visited it once. Tennessee is a nice place, except Memphis, stay away from Memphis if you can help it.

EdP

WKR
EDP, yall have one of the best pork chop restaurants in the country in Paducah, I was afraid they would not rebuild it after the fire, but they did, and it is as good as ever.
That's good to hear but I left Paducah for southwest Va in 2015. We do get back there occasionally. What is the restaurant? OK, you must be referring to Patti's.

That's good to hear but I left Paducah for southwest Va in 2015. We do get back there occasionally. What is the restaurant? OK, you must be referring to Patti's.
Yes sir Patti's. I used to go down the sidewalk and into an old gun store they had there. Dont know if it is still there or not, but our daughter and son in law ate there last week lol. Love that 2" thick pork chop.

LOL he should feel at home in Paris TN next Monday and Tuesday, supposed to be -1 there lol....course in Portland it is calling for -1 here as well......TN not Oregon..........but that is Tennessee weather. If you dont like the weather just wait 15 min and it will be different. Tornado watches today, snow advisory tomorrow lol

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
I was born and raised in Waverly, across the river from there and dove for mussles in the lake. Really can't go wrong there...Ice in the winter mostly, MAYBE 1-2 large snows a year 2"-12"...you'll learn all about tornadoes though....