Guidance on My Family’s Long Term Move

OP
Fever Buck
The state politics may not align with yours but we have some great towns with pretty good hospitals and local values that still align with yours on my side of the divide. I would not go to GJ if someone bought my house for me...bleh.
What towns would you recommend?

OP
Fever Buck
Pretty sad that these areas have a reputation for that....
Have never seen anything other than facebook comments of people being rude

Funny though that the ones that bark the loudest have moved here in the last 10-20 years.....
Yeah, I’ve definitely experienced it a few times in MT. It’s a bummer because I definitely think it’s the prettiest state in the US and there’s good employment opportunities.

Stopped for gas in Townsend MT last year for an archery elk hunt and within 15 seconds had a younger guy yelling at me to go back to Colorado.

OP
Fever Buck
Alright y’all, bumping my old thread since y’all were super helpful last time.

Looks like I will be getting an offer at a company in Boise and another company in the CDA/Spokane area is also interviewing me this week.

Would love to get y’all’s opinions on which area you’d choose to raise a family and why.

My initial pros/cons:

Boise
- Pros
- more affordable than CDA
- more sun
- better job economy
-closer commute to work

- Cons
- Never been to Boise, so a bit of a leap
- from what I can tell this is more of a dessert style area
- can get pretty hot in the summer
- will need to drive fairly far for hunting opportunities
-no winter hobbies close by?

CDA
- Pros
- beautiful area, lots of water, skiing within driving distance, less travel for hunting? Lots of winter hobbies nearby
-Cons
- less sunlight, higher cost of living, will need to commute to Spokane for work

Anything I’m missing?

Thanks everyone!

Alright y’all, bumping my old thread since y’all were super helpful last time.

Looks like I will be getting an offer at a company in Boise and another company in the CDA/Spokane area is also interviewing me this week.

Would love to get y’all’s opinions on which area you’d choose to raise a family and why.

My initial pros/cons:

Boise
- Pros
- more affordable than CDA
- more sun
- better job economy
-closer commute to work

- Cons
- Never been to Boise, so a bit of a leap
- from what I can tell this is more of a dessert style area
- can get pretty hot in the summer
- will need to drive fairly far for hunting opportunities
-no winter hobbies close by?

CDA
- Pros
- beautiful area, lots of water, skiing within driving distance, less travel for hunting? Lots of winter hobbies nearby
-Cons
- less sunlight, higher cost of living, will need to commute to Spokane for work

Anything I’m missing?

Thanks everyone!
Boise has plenty to do in the winter! Bogus Basin Ski Resort is right out of town (16 miles from downtown). Lots of cross country ski options not far up the road. Big perch in some of the lakes up towards Cascade/McCall if you ice fish. Snowmobiling, etc. Boise itself might not always get a ton of snow, but you don't have to go much more than an hour up the road to find plenty of winter activity options.

Hunting-wise, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are trying to get to some legit wilderness areas in Central Idaho, you are probably closer to more access points coming from Boise. If you are a late season whitetail hunter, then CDA is probably your better bet. Both Boise and CDA have decent big game over-the-counter hunting opportunities and plenty of national forest/blm access within 30-60 min drive. Lots of big mule deer units in Southern/central Idaho though, and that's closer from Boise.

As for the water sports, CDA will be hard to beat, but Boise has Lucky Peak and Lake Lowell within a 15-30 minute drive depending on where in the TV you are.

I can't speak for CDA, but the Tijuana Valley is getting more and more crime as the days go by. Seems like every time you check out the news there's been a shooting or five, daily. Traffic is also hideous in my opinion, I avoid the whole area if possible.

OP
Fever Buck
Boise has plenty to do in the winter! Bogus Basin Ski Resort is right out of town (16 miles from downtown). Lots of cross country ski options not far up the road. Big perch in some of the lakes up towards Cascade/McCall if you ice fish. Snowmobiling, etc. Boise itself might not always get a ton of snow, but you don't have to go much more than an hour up the road to find plenty of winter activity options.

Hunting-wise, it depends on what you are looking for. If you are trying to get to some legit wilderness areas in Central Idaho, you are probably closer to more access points coming from Boise. If you are a late season whitetail hunter, then CDA is probably your better bet. Both Boise and CDA have decent big game over-the-counter hunting opportunities and plenty of national forest/blm access within 30-60 min drive. Lots of big mule deer units in Southern/central Idaho though, and that's closer from Boise.

As for the water sports, CDA will be hard to beat, but Boise has Lucky Peak and Lake Lowell within a 15-30 minute drive depending on where in the TV you are.
Thanks for the insight. I’d def be focusing on Elk as my primary species, with mule deer as a second priority. Sounds like Boise has some good stuff.

Palmer Alaska has a ski area hiking /fishing /hunting relatively close by Alaska standards.

In my opinion it’s the last best place I’ve found.

Great downtown. But tough winters with the darkness.

Sun valley Idaho has everything you want all out your back door. But you better have deep
Pockets now!

I used to spot elk right out the side door of townhome. Walk across the road and I was in a blue ribbon trout stream.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Palmer Alaska has a ski area hiking /fishing /hunting relatively close by Alaska standards.

In my opinion it’s the last best place I’ve found.
Palmer sucks. Super unfriendly locals, terrible food, chock full of violent Yeti's as soon as you get on the trails anywhere outside of town. ;)

And the fishing isn't even good there. So...