Wyoming Unit Antelope

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not sure if the hunt area is north south east or west, but not all the best hunting is on private land, depending where you are. With any new antelope area don’t pigeon hole yourself to a spot - put some miles on those gravel roads with good maps and good optics, then get into the dirt two tracks. In a day you might glass 200 antelope and start to develop a feel for where to concentrate. Many areas are big and have large open basins that can’t be hunted, or are lacking antelope. You’re also competing with other hunters so I like to find little hidden draws that hide goats from the main gravel roads.

good luck and hunt with those optics, not on foot!

Lots of reasons not to give advice, the area we hunt in Wyoming is a private ranch and has produced well in the past, 2019 our group was asked by a fellow if there was an opening, he would like to go, that year we had a drop in the group and invited this guy to go along, As we hunt every other year 2020 this new guy decides to go puts his own group together which is fine but never mentioned the hunt or offered if anyone else wanted to go. So, for me the situation says stick with your original hunting partners, never invite a new guy and keep your mouth shut where you hunt. WE AS A GROUP INVESTED A LOT OF TIME TO FIND AN AREA TO HUNT, DONE A SHIT LOAD OF INFORMATION SEARCHING, CONTACTING FOLKS AND GAME DEPARTMENT OFFICIALS. e-scouting maps, watching weather patterns and anything else we could think of to help with the hunt, this bozo used us for his personal gain. My advice is finding your own areas, will I give advice on things I have seen and learnt yes, but that's where it stops.

Woogs402

FNG
I've heard the winter was pretty bad for WY this past year. I drew for this fall and curious how numbers look compared to previous years. First antelope hunt so not sure what to expect.

Rich M

WKR
There's a gob of hunters across the country that have invested a lot of time and $ into hunting Wyo and elsewhere. As tags become tougher and tougher to draw the word is pretty much mum by a lot of guys since it has taken longer and longer to draw tags. The internet has also made it SOOO easy for newcomers to figure out some of the higher demand units and better areas within units to hunt. Antelope numbers in Wyo are at an almost all time low so it takes even longer to draw tags and there are fewer whopper bucks to keep everyone happy.

There are so many new hunters trying to figure out all the strategies for drawing tags and hunting critters throughout the West. I would agree that it becomes pretty old when new members to hunting websites advertise for unit and other help. Many new members tend to ask all the questions and at the end of their season have nothing to share....especially with others that may draw the same tag in future years.

Word spreads like wildfire across hunting websites. Suddenly a relatively easy draw unit with quality bucks has horrific draw odds. It doesn't take much to spoil a good thing!

It's pretty sad when those that ask for advice aren't willing to help others? It happens over and over again on this and other hunting websites. It's tough to be mr niceguy and offer friendly advice.

I've drawn my fair share of great tags over the years. Just about every tag I've drawn I put in hours upon hours of research, scouting, and legwork before each hunt. Usually it all pays off! With all that said, you can see how it is a little tough for strangers to offer others detailed advice?
Look no further than go hunt and the other “we’ll help you get a good tag for a fee” businesses.

Folks been helping folks for a long time. Then couple guys decided to make a business out of it. For $10 or $20/month we’ll help you get a tag. So thousands of guys join and we are where we are.

Follow the money.

You are a sensitive one. We’ve disagreed on this before. I cant believe you’ve never asked anyone for help before.
He’s asked. Not in this specific antelope forum that I’ve seen. I have seen him looking for info on elk units though.

This is part of the boss’s post.
“Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions.”

So it’s like Huntin fool, epic, etc. You have to pay for the info. If you want unit specific info from those services it costs money. If you want unit specific info from RS the currency is posts.

Rich M

WKR
He’s asked. Not in this specific antelope forum that I’ve seen. I have seen him looking for info on elk units though.

This is part of the boss’s post.
“Now unfortunately we aren't letting FNG's (new guys) post up unit specific questions.”

So it’s like Huntin fool, epic, etc. You have to pay for the info. If you want unit specific info from those services it costs money. If you want unit specific info from RS the currency is posts.
Not from my understanding. No unit numbers to stop the spread of NR and non-local hunters.

I do understand the new poster thing as many ask ?s and never contribute.this is to stop folks from searching for “antelope unit x” and getting info.

Anyway, me and C been doing this stuff for a while.

Not from my understanding. No unit numbers to stop the spread of NR and non-local hunters.

I do understand the new poster thing as many ask ?s and never contribute.this is to stop folks from searching for “antelope unit x” and getting info.

Anyway, me and C been doing this stuff for a while.
Read what the boss posted. The part I put in quotations is what he wrote. It says FNG’s. Not every post with a unit number.

No_Murphy

FNG
Talk to the game wardens/wildlife biologists in the area. If you can find people that have hunted the unit that's even better. Best thing to do is go to Wyoming Fish and Wildlife page and find their map. it will have access and everything on it. If you have some sort of map on your phone (like Go hunt or On X) those will show you private land and who to get in touch with. The more people you can talk to the better. Also, don't let anyone discourage you on the unit you picked. There are a lot of people that will tell you how bad a unit is and not to waste your points, but just go and have fun.

swede8200

FNG
I’m pretty new on here also and the few posts that I’ve made always have at least one person trying to make life miserable because of the little title they have by their name. It amazes me that no one on here knows me or my hunting and trapping experience but because I have the FNG title by my name they assume I know absolutely nothing and owe them everything for being here. I came to this forum mostly to learn and I have found a few outstanding people here that are willing to help me learn something new and I am very thankful of them. It’s ready to be rude to someone while sitting behind your keyboard.

That being said, a mapping app like OnX and good optics will be very beneficial in Wyoming. It was our experience that most private land is not posted as such. The maps we picked up from USFS and fish and game were not very good. It is one of the funnest hunts I’ve been on and we are definitely planning to go again. Use your optics to do the walking or you run the risk of bumping them before you ever see them. Good luck and have fun!

pirogue

WKR
It’s a quick rejection when one who wants hunting information is an FNG. Now, if you want to get responses that sound obligingly helpful, and you are an FNG, ask about a backpack.

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
If the unit in the quoted post is accurate, I hunted it a few years ago.

I have hunted Wyoming for antelope numerous times over the last 20+ years. Back when I started you could get two buck tags relatively easy. I have hunted dozens of units all over the state. There are two units I would not go back to. One of them is 43. It's just not the experience you travel to Wyoming for and that was a few years ago, I can't imagine it has improved since then.

OP
R
We had an awesome trip to wyoming for my first ever antelope hunt and western hunting trip for that matter. The sights were amazing as well as the people we met along the way. Will no doubt be back again.

Wyco307

FNG
Couple of buddies and myself drew some unit wyoming antelope tags. First trip for me out west to hunt. Just looking for any valuable info on wmas, possible private access, etc. Thanks in advance!
No matter what unit, apply for an HMA when they become available. You cannot have too many options for antelope. If there are multiple, look for the one with the best water sources. Some units you can apply for multiple while others you can only apply for 1.

jakeg

FNG
I have hunted many Wyoming antelope units and found that there is a lot of information available through the Game and Fish if you do some digging. There is a list of land owners offering public access for each unit (not sure if anyone is offering access in 43) and HMA units are easily researched. Pursue both to get as much access to the unit as possible. We have hunted here on 2 separate trips and antelope were found in different spots based on weather so there isn't a secret spot to share - not that anyone would share their honey hole online