XLR Chassis Comparison

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Over the next month or so, I'll be comparing @XLR chassis to help people decide which model to buy and why you would choose one over the other. This will include buttstocks and grips.

What in particular would you like to see in the comparison?
I'll be comparing the Envy to Element Mag along with C6, TLR-2, and carbon buttstock. As far as grips, ill compare the carbon, titanium, and rubber grips.

ofl0926

WKR
Over the next month or so, I'll be comparing @XLR chassis to help people decide which model to buy and why you would choose one over the other. This will include buttstocks and grips.

What in particular would you like to see in the comparison?
I'll be comparing the Envy to Element Mag along with C6, TLR-2, and carbon buttstock. As far as grips, ill compare the carbon, titanium, and rubber grips.

I like this.
Weight is the big thing. Ergos. Photo comparisons will be great.
I just wish these were easier to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you run, or are these chassis systems threaded for, carbine style buffer tubes for AR butt stock modularity? As it’s nice to see the all carbon full length alpha male options but would also be nice to see the buffer tube adjustable lop fit anyone anytime ‘family’ options at same time. The versatility of chassis system allows this and I think should be a staple comparison feature.

Ie; my preferred chassis set up has migrated to strike industries buffer tube and magpul ctr butt stocks. While not the lightest option, mft battlelink is another lighter butt stock option but doesn’t ride the rear bag or hand as nicely prone and is snaggy. The ctr fits everyone quickly but also runs prone better and doesn’t hook on gear. It also has 3 different snap on heights for comb adjustment.

Just curious if the focus of this will be for the alpha males? If not there’s my suggestions to incorporate any differences to compare rear end options on these elite level chassis.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you run, or are these chassis systems threaded for, carbine style buffer tubes for AR butt stock modularity? As it’s nice to see the all carbon full length alpha male options but would also be nice to see the buffer tube adjustable lop fit anyone anytime ‘family’ options at same time. The versatility of chassis system allows this and I think should be a staple comparison feature.

Ie; my preferred chassis set up has migrated to strike industries buffer tube and magpul ctr butt stocks. While not the lightest option, mft battlelink is another lighter butt stock option but doesn’t ride the rear bag or hand as nicely prone and is snaggy. The ctr fits everyone quickly but also runs prone better and doesn’t hook on gear. It also has 3 different snap on heights for comb adjustment.

Just curious if the focus of this will be for the alpha males? If not there’s my suggestions to incorporate any differences to compare rear end options on these elite level chassis.
Yes, our chassis always have been designed around AR-style buttstock and grips. Has been since 2010. We have multiple buttstock styles to meet the needs of different shooting disciplines, but someone can also purchase the chassis stand-alone if they want to use a cheaper AR-style stock they might have on hand. I would highly recommend looking at the different buttstocks we sell, especially the C-6 being released Sunday for precision fitment and features. No plastic AR stock will come close.

I'd like to see how big of a magnum can be used before the loaded magazine falls out under recoil, 300 Norma was the limit for me.

KHNC

WKR
I'd like to see how big of a magnum can be used before the loaded magazine falls out under recoil, 300 Norma was the limit for me.
I like to be able to trade in the current magazine and port for the newer model. Got enough money in it already . lol

but someone can also purchase the chassis stand-alone if they want to use a cheaper AR-style stock they might have on hand.
Easy now, let’s get our nose out of the clouds a little bit here, don’t slander functional by trying to imply it must be expensive to be awesome. I know that Smoke Composites stuff ain’t cheap and you need some margins but don’t get carried away standing on the necks of other gear to feel better about ones own gear, it’s not a good look. There’s a lot of high end AR’s out there running that ‘cheaper gear’ and thinking nothing of it. You want everyone interested in your gear right? Let em slap whatever they want on your chassis and pump em up about it. Right? Right. Glad we got that straight.😉

Last edited:
Well Travis, it’s great that xlr is primarily threaded and ready for AR accessory modularity. Then I suggest that for $150 you could pick up a Magpul moe-k grip 1.8 oz, strike industries mil-spec buffer tube 3.8 oz, and mil-spec Magpul ctr 9 oz butt stock for a total 14.5 oz base rear end, I think you can beat it by 2 oz for $600 with the smoke composites gear but lose fast ability to fit heavy clothes, pack shoulder strap, or smaller shooters, then grab all three cheek risers for another $60, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4” that add a couple ounces if running the scope well off the action. And see how the sub $150-170 dollar rear end compares to the $600 carbon rear end?

Pro’s and con’s of this sort of compare would be a good time for all to see all the options around for all chassis set up. Or maybe an idea for down the road as feels like maybe guys just can’t imagine having less that $500 rear end on their alpha chassis? Lotsa guys looking into this chassis world now so should have complete resource info so builds can suite all wallets and functionality levels.

Don’t forget to always mention the poor man’s ultralight take down tip vs the 4.5-8 oz folders out there(xlr/mdt). Dab of loctite on the castle nut locking it to the buffer tube and the rear end spins on and off to same spot every time, nice for the ‘hunters’ for the pack in and out and adds zero weight and no slop or pitch. Folders definitely have some cons. Can spin the butt stock on faster than can put a blaser k95 takedown together, so trade offs on few seconds for no weight and no slop or pitch can outweigh the folders option.

Last edited: