XOP vs. Lone Wolf Sit and Climb Comparisons?

Curious for those that have experience with one or both of these stands. They have near identical design and specs. The XOP is nearly half the cost but has some mixed quality reviews on the hardware. The Lone Wolf has a better reputation it seems, but is it twice as nice for twice the price? Also see a lot of them on marketplace, which may be because there is just more of them, or maybe there is a reason for that.

My use would be mostly for gun hunting whitetail in Missouri on public land with occasional bow hunting use too. I have some other stands and blinds so this is not something that is going to get crazy use. Maybe 5-10 climbs per year.

jlh42581

WKR
Biggest difference I'm aware of is the curved back brace and the belt retention. I think so many guys are chasing the dragon on being super light that a 21lb climber doesn't fit, that's why they're for sale.

My lone wolf hand climber with a molle system is 19lbs. I can get a lwcg .5 and three tethrd one sticks and be sub 10! You can get to 7lbs in a saddle.

OP
G
Biggest difference I'm aware of is the curved back brace and the belt retention. I think so many guys are chasing the dragon on being super light that a 21lb climber doesn't fit, that's why they're for sale.

My lone wolf hand climber with a molle system is 19lbs. I can get a lwcg .5 and three tethrd one sticks and be sub 10! You can get to 7lbs in a saddle.

I saw a lot of talk about the straight brace being an issue on the LW.

I also suspect a lot of people use a climbing stand once and never feel safe so they sell it. Or they think they can climb up a tree as quick as a squirrel only to realize there is some setup and you go like 8” at a time. Honestly, I don’t like climbers, but they are a necessary evil in my area.

Sapcut

WKR
An important difference I have seen is the XOP, which I have, has holes around the edge of the platform perfect for resting the limb tip of my recurve. The LW does not have the holes.

I’ve got the LW sit and climb and I don’t love it as much as I thought I would, I had a clunky old metal off brand climber that worked better for rifle hunting and set up faster, but the noise aspect is why I quit using it. The set up time is one thing I don’t love about the LW, also for rifle hunting it’s pretty much off hand shooting, my old stand offered a better rest. It is quiet and stable though, just not the perfect 10 set up you hope for.

Rich M

WKR
I have the LW SnC and it is a well crafted stand. Easy to use and quiet as a mouse. The quietness is important if you are trying to set up close to deer.

the only thing I’d change is the strap style seat. As a heavier guy. It pinched the cheeks a little. The rail swings up and makes a rest, or carry a shooting stick. I do believe it was designed more for bow hunting.

the run n gun crowd thinks everyone needs a lock-on and sticks. Climbers bad. IMO, climbers are safer and ladders even more safer. I’ve had sticks shift and don’t use em for that reason.

I went through a similar debate and bought a wide flip top climber. I have some XOP stands but wouldn't reccomend one if LW is in the budget.... I don't know if the curve brace nets you any gains....

I think the reason you see some forr sale like others have said there's a craze right now chasing the ultralight $1000 set ups from Beast or LWCG and a fair amount of people buy into climbers hoping they'll be a one size fits all. I like them but can't use one everywhere. Just a single tool in a full tool box.

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t say for the climbers of either company, but looking at the hang on stands from either, XOP didn’t have great reviews, with a few complaints of the seat pivot cracking and separating under load, something I didn’t want dealing with 20’ off the ground.

I have a summit climber, and will probably keep it as a backup for when a climber is needed, and just bought a Novix Helo hang on and some solid pegged sticks. (sister co to Lone Wolf)

Odd, but the Helo stand is 3” narrower then the assault, and the sticks use the same v bracket as lone wolf, but the foot pegs are solid and don’t pivot, and aren’t offered on lone wolfs website?? If you buy, make sure you read the description well.

Beanie

FNG
There is nothing wrong with my traction belts but I would like a set for backup

Rich M

WKR
I got rid of my LW SnC and got a Summit. 20# stand, not much more tha LW. More comfy and i dont feel like i am gonna fall out if i nod off.

OP
G
I got rid of my LW SnC and got a Summit. 20# stand, not much more tha LW. More comfy and i dont feel like i am gonna fall out if i nod off.
I sold my LW S&C after one test climb. It was too narrow for me, and I’m not even that big. I also found the folding mechanism to be a PITA, which makes it’s only real advantage a negative.

Kept my summit.

Rich M

WKR
I sold my LW S&C after one test climb. It was too narrow for me, and I’m not even that big. I also found the folding mechanism to be a PITA, which makes it’s only real advantage a negative.

Kept my summit.
Sorry to hear that. At least youve got a good stand and plenty of guys around to buy the LW.

The biggest difference I found was the way the traction belt adjusts on them. I found the lone wolf to be much easier to use.
I actually bought a used lone wolf and sold my xop.
I didn’t like the way they climb at first but once I got used to it I really like the lone wolf for archery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience with either company's climbers, however I do have a XOP Vanish that I love. It's a sweet design and super comfortable. I could park it in the seat for hours without complaint. Definitely recommendable.

Plan on a few mods to make quieter tho- stealth strips, paracord wrap, and I think I even incorporated some zip ties.

BCD

WKR
Can’t say for the climbers of either company, but looking at the hang on stands from either, XOP didn’t have great reviews, with a few complaints of the seat pivot cracking and separating under load, something I didn’t want dealing with 20’ off the ground.

I have a summit climber, and will probably keep it as a backup for when a climber is needed, and just bought a Novix Helo hang on and some solid pegged sticks. (sister co to Lone Wolf)

Odd, but the Helo stand is 3” narrower then the assault, and the sticks use the same v bracket as lone wolf, but the foot pegs are solid and don’t pivot, and aren’t offered on lone wolfs website?? If you buy, make sure you read the description well.
I currently own 4 lone wolfs and was recently considering buying an XOP until I saw pictures online of platforms that had broken in half! I understand these were older XOP's and since then the issues have been addressed....

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been debating on looking at a lighter way to climb trees. I have a Buckshot Bigshot. It is dead nuts reliable. I’ve had it for 25+ years. It’s just not the best for going way in on WMAs in the mountains of SC.

I looked at the XOP and the Lone Wolf stands. They seem really expensive. They are in the style of stand I want but they just seem like a lot of money. I am not going tethered. That is not my jam.

I am leaning towards just getting a Barronette Radar Ground blind and a Helionox Sunset chair. All of the stuff will fold up and I can ruck in with my EXO Mtn pack. I can also carry a deer out with the blind and chair. I’d prefer to be off the ground but it has to make sense too.

I am still interested in flat folding climbing stands so I’m definitely following.