Yet again...Tire talk

jags

FNG
I just put a new set of the Hankook AT2's on my 1/2 ton, travel alot with lots of highway miles. They are nice on the highway but haven't had them on any serious backcountry yet. The AT2's are a new version of their old Dynapro's as I understand it. I've run those in the past and was always happy with their off-road performance.

N2TRKYS

WKR
LIES... The LTX is WORTHLESS once its off a paved surface. I will agree its an amazing road tire. very smooth, very comfortable, but needed 4wd to get off grass
Your statement hasn’t been true in my experience. I’ve had good luck with them in red clay and soft mud. They’re not a mud tire, but worthless offroad hasn’t been my experience.

Doing the same for wife’s suv as winter is falling in the mountians and not too far from us under a month forsure. I think I’ll have her go Toyo open country or Falken rubitrek most likely. Might do wild peaks but at that point I’ll do the toyos. I always run 10 ply on my 3/4 ton as it’s heavy and goes on gravel/towing on highway. Toyo’s seem to hold up the best but that new rubitrek on a light suv would probably be great I’d imagine!

I’ve had nothing but issues on Cooper xlts E’s personally. 3 sets in two years they wear like shit and gravel owns them. I used to be a big stt max and at3 xlt person. Something changed pry six years ago in rubber compound now they chip amd fail easy. Which is a bummer as local tire Rama guys are great in central MT
That is interesting to hear about the issues you're having with the Coopers. Have you submitted any warranty claims on them? I've put over 10k on mine on interstate, two-lane, and gravel without any issues in the last year. I live on gravel 2 miles from pavement and use my truck for hunting, fishing, etc..., and tow a 17' Lund deep-V.

OP
Legend

Legend

WKR
I had the Falken Wildpeaks put on my engine’s chase truck this last winter. That truck sees 80% gravel and dirt roads and they’re absolutely great. The local tire shop sells the crap out of them to loggers.
Are these the E rated tires or I think Falken calls the HD?

Interesting option if they are SL ones.

Thanks

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
Ive used a few of the tires mentioned on personal and work trucks and right now I have a set of mickey thompson baja boss at, on an f250. There is no comparison. I don't notice any noise and hands down the best tire I've used on gravel. If I can get good wear out of them I don't think I'll ever switch to another tire.

Bachto

WKR
Ive used a few of the tires mentioned on personal and work trucks and right now I have a set of mickey thompson baja boss at, on an f250. There is no comparison. I don't notice any noise and hands down the best tire I've used on gravel. If I can get good wear out of them I don't think I'll ever switch to another tire.
I second this.
I have the Baja boss in an MT and it has WAY less road noise than my last cheaper AT. I love these tires so much, I took them to Montana and drove them in snow a bunch and never had problems. I have had them for a year now and will be getting these tires again without a doubt.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Goodyear used to make a tire with kevlar. They still might make it, but only in smaller tires or light truck. Not a dedicated load range e towing tire.

Googled after I posted, Good year wrangler adventurer with Kevlar.

Marshfly

WKR
You need better shocks and a significantly larger tire. That tire simply doesn't have enough air to provide a good ride in an E load range sidewalk stiffness. Move to a 265/75 AT LEAST. 255/85 is also a great option and will have better economy due to being skinny. And tall skinnies are just cool.

hiker270

WKR
I’ve had great luck with the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT on my ‘19 Ram. These are an E-rated AT, but have excellent ride, road manners, are quiet, and have 60k tread rating. I’m running the 275/70/18 at 40psi.

These performed awesome last October in the Bighorns in mixed deep snow, slush, mud, and ice. I was impressed with them last winter in Iowa as well. Great tires for the money.
These are my go to tires on both my trucks. A great all around tire.

270quest

WKR
LIES... The LTX is WORTHLESS once its off a paved surface. I will agree its an amazing road tire. very smooth, very comfortable, but needed 4wd to get off grass
Well I guess it’s a good thing my wife doesn’t have to go off road to get to Target, the mall, and work…

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For minimizing punctures don’t over look the tread pattern. Having large continuous gaps between the tread blocks is great for channeling out mud and water but leaves you more vulnerable to catch an object into the thinner part of your tire. Any cross block pattern will be better. Good pattern here for traction but I would pass for your conditions.
IMG_7779.jpeg

Goodyear used to make something “armour” that had extra side wall protection. Sorry I can’t find a link, maybe they still offer it under a different name?

Rob5589

WKR
My Toyo AT3's continue to impress. Ride well, wearing very well, soft'ish riding at reasonable pressures, reasonably quiet even with a ton of miles.

Nockdown

FNG
Hankook dynapro mt2.
Best tire I’ve ever had. No way would I consider anything but a 10 ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Falken Wildpeak AT3s are a fantastic tire on the road and on forest service roads. They’ve been the best tire I’ve used over the last 35 years.
WildPeak A/T3W. 2nd season and an awesome tire on gravel, snow, highway, wet roads and quiet. My KO2’s were louder, kept/threw gravel and would spin on wet asphalt.

dtrkyman

WKR
Bridgestone Dueler at, never e rated never a flat tons of trail miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk