Yet another noobie question

So for those of you that basecamp or truck camp do y’all take smaller generators to run smaller luxuries and such? If so how much do you run them? Just curious since not planning to run a tent stove but thought about a inverter type generator to run an electric heater would be a good substitute if the temps get chili at night. Also thinking for cooking on bringing the ninja air fryer since you can cook almost anything in it for dinners and even do hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Guess I am just wondering is it overboard or practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it simple. A lot of extra crap just detracts from the experience and cuts in to your hunting time. If your camp is too posh you’ll spend more time screwing around there, it’s not likely you’ll get your critter while lounging around the fire.
I don’t bother with any kind of heater, get a warm sleeping bag.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wouldn't bother with a generator or an air fryer. A 2-burner tank top propane heater works great for warming up my wall tent in the mornings. For cooking I use a combination of a Coleman stove, Camp Chef griddle/grill, and a Weber Q grill.

OP
Ricochet83
Keep it simple. A lot of extra crap in camp just detracts from the experience and cuts in to your hunting time. If your camp is too posh you’ll spend more time screwing around in camp, it’s not likely you’ll get your critter in camp. I don’t bother with any kind of heater, get a warm sleeping bag.

This is kinda where my head was also. Just wanted to see if I went bare bones if I wasn’t shorting myself any luxuries I should be enjoying.

ODB

WKR
Nope. I use a simple stove, pack wisely, and enjoy not having to lug around a bunch of crap.

To each their own. I have used a generator before For drive in camps.

be thoughtful ab exhaust and noise if you have neighbors. Last trip we set it up between trucks to block noise and shut it off around 8:30 or 9:00.

not sure about your air fryer but I found out the hard way my IR turkey fryer is a bit sensitive to ambient temperature. I tried to use it at a cookpot and temps were in the 20s. It never got hot enough to do its thing.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I bring a small generator and run it all night for my cpap machine. I have a small Wen 1250w and a 100’ ex cord. You can hear it hum a little but still much quieter than me snoring. Added benefit is everyone can charge whatever they need each night. Ran it last year and could still hear elk bugling in the tent over the sound of the generator. Don’t use it for heat or cooking though.

We bring one and run it in the evening when cooking dinner for lights and other things. Not really cooking or anything like that. We have some solar lights also, if we don’t want to run the generator. We put it down in the woods a ways and you can barely hear it

Travis907

WKR
Jetboil for hot water, Coleman 2 burner for cooking, and Mr Buddy if you need or want heat. These guys nailed it.
This is exactly what we do if we camp from the truck or basecamp! Don’t forget a cooler with cold beer or bourbon for your nightcap “luxury “!

OP
Ricochet83
Any of you guys go the chest freezer route instead of a bunch of coolers for game? I really liked the concept of that which is initially what got me thinking about a generator then all the other thoughts just started trickling in so to speak.

Spud82

FNG
Have a buddy that does the chest freezer. Seems like a good option but I just go cooler. For me the cooler is simple.

We dont use a generator. Personally I cant stand hearing them while I'm in the woods. I go to the woods to get away from noise. Like others have said, use a coleman stove or small bbq. We take a dutch oven also. A Mr Buddy heater works well to keep the tent a bit warmer. Though I have been in Colorado when its in the single digits and it'll run all night and its still not toasty warm in the Kodiak Canvas tent, just enough to take the chill off a little.

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting for me is getting away from creature comforts and connecting with the land and nature.

That said, even when camping out of the back of the truck I’d rather use my MSR reactor, a small propane grill, or cook over the fire.

To each their own but there’s something nice about disconnecting from electronic devices and appliances.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
waking up in a 10 degree tent is a great motivator to get up & out the door to your spot early
It's an even bigger motivator to saying "screw it......I'm sleeping in today" if you don't have a heat source. I wake up to my alarm and get up to heat my coffee water, turn on the lantern, and light my propane heater. Then I get back into my sleeping bag until I see heavy steam coming out of the coffee pot. By then it's 70-80 degrees in the tent, and THAT is a great motivator to get me up and moving.

Sturgeon

WKR
Any of you guys go the chest freezer route instead of a bunch of coolers for game? I really liked the concept of that which is initially what got me thinking about a generator then all the other thoughts just started trickling in so to speak.

Yep, we like to run a small chest freezer and generator.

Cooking wise we will use a Coleman two burner and Jetboil.