You went from high quality 15’s to NL Pure 12s… Get in here!

Beendare

WKR
Need real world opinions from hunters who find and kill game every year and have actually made the switch from 15s to NL 12s. I’m tempted to do so even though I have nothing to complain about with my 15 x56s. I just keep hearing over and over how the NL 12 pures really are the next level for glassing.

I hunt coues deer in Arizona every year which is like trying to find a Great Dane with horns that can camouflage perfectly into its habitat. I also do some out of state big country hunts for deer, elk, and antelope (mainly Wyoming). I also hunt California which can be anywhere from glassing big drainages to sitting in the woods for a week straight. My 8x50s cover my whitetail hunts in Minnesota…

I have Meopta B1 Plus 15x56 which I actually prefer the image and long range edge to edge clarity over the SLC 15s. These are what I use on a tripod and don’t even carry a spotter these days.

I also carry a pair of Meopta 8x50 range finding binos with I also use on the tripod and for hand glassing/ranging.

Wondering if making the switch NL Pures is the right answer for my hunts? I spend a whole lot of time behind my binoculars even in the off season. I think the biggest advantage is catching game in the peripheral vision while glassing which is very important for hunting coues. Also, with coues deer being so small, the 15s really can help determine it that’s an antler or another damn ocotillo or jumping cactus. Wondering if the 12s will be enough for that?

As you can see i am quite torn. Does anybody rent NL pures to try out? I’m helping a buddy on a coues hunt in two weeks and would love to give them a try.

Thanks for any feedback and experience on this.
I went the other way…traded off the excellent Meopta 15’s for the Vortex 18x UHD’s 👍🏼

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
I went from meopta 15s to swaro 15s 2 seasons ago about a week ago switched to the NL 12s. I hunt coues in AZ as well and this last hunt my buddy got the NL 12s. Between me, him, and my brother in law we have 3 SLC 15s, BTX 115, STC as of a week ago, and the NL12. The NL was a very noticeable difference in the clarity and brightness and I think it makes up for the 3x less magnification. My brother in law sits behind the BTX most of the time and prefers that for now. I don’t think twice about selling the SLC 15s and moving to the NL 12s. I don’t have any update on the STC yet since it just came in last week.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I went from meopta 15s to swaro 15s 2 seasons ago about a week ago switched to the NL 12s. I hunt coues in AZ as well and this last hunt my buddy got the NL 12s. Between me, him, and my brother in law we have 3 SLC 15s, BTX 115, STC as of a week ago, and the NL12. The NL was a very noticeable difference in the clarity and brightness and I think it makes up for the 3x less magnification. My brother in law sits behind the BTX most of the time and prefers that for now. I don’t think twice about selling the SLC 15s and moving to the NL 12s. I don’t have any update on the STC yet since it just came in last week.
Good info thank you!!

Thanks a bunch I’ll reach out to them and give them a go.

I’ll post my findings in this thread here after spending a week behind the NL side by side with my 15’s.
Have you had a chance to compare them or is that yet to come?

I bought a pair of the NL 12x42's and am REALLY impressed with their clarity. I don't have 15x56 SLC's on hand to directly compare, but having owned a pair in the past that I used with a pair of 10x RF binoculars, I think I'm going to like these as a primary optic for much of my AZ hunting.

JakeSCH

WKR
I had both NL 12x and 15x SLC's last couple of years and ended up selling my 15x after a season of running both and then never pulling the 15x out of the safe.

I know there is nothing I would have seen with the SLC's that I would not have seen with the NL's.

However, if I was an avid coues hunter...I would put my money towards a BTX or big eyes.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have NL's so I can't compare there but I do have 12's and a pair of 15 slc's. As a coues hunter as well I pretty much always go to the 15's.

However, if I was an avid coues hunter...I would put my money towards a BTX or big eyes.
I had and enjoyed my BTX that replaced my 15x56 SLC's. Packed it almost everywhere I went, spent hour after hour in comfort behind it, and glassed a TON of deer with it. However, unless I was glassing really long distance, I found myself missing moving deer due to the higher magnification/smaller FOV.

There's always some sort of compromise. For now, I think (hope) the NL 12x42 and STC will be the best compromise for most of my hunting. Pocket 8x25 CL for when I'm in really thick stuff.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Have you had a chance to compare them or is that yet to come?

I bought a pair of the NL 12x42's and am REALLY impressed with their clarity. I don't have 15x56 SLC's on hand to directly compare, but having owned a pair in the past that I used with a pair of 10x RF binoculars, I think I'm going to like these as a primary optic for much of my AZ hunting.
It was supposed to happen but plans got changed. My hunter with the tag had to change his schedule. We are now hunting tomorrow through the weekend if needed. Just found that out literally an hour ago so couldn’t book the NLs to be rented.

Planning on renting them after the new year and Ill do some scouting with both.

I made that exact switch. I still love My 15x meopas but they get left in the pickup majority of the time. My 12 nl’s and kowa 77 do most everything I need. The 15xs have their place but I got tired of the added weight.

TheCougar

WKR
@mxgsfmdpx

get out of my head… I’m in the same boat. I typically carry 10SLC on my chest and 15s in my pack when deer hunting (or any glassing intensive hunt). I spend most of my time on my 15s, but I have started to wonder if I should sell them both for a single set of 12NLs. Coming from AZ, I can completely appreciate your concern when hunting the coues ghosts. I hate spotters and almost never use them, but if I did settle on just the NLs, I would probably invest in the new Kowa… or a BTX! I find a lot of critters my 15s, so I’m really hesitant to let them go. I’ll be interested to see what you think after your Coues hunt.

huntnful

WKR
I used both extensively, as well as side by side. You will see MORE game with the 12 NL's. The wider field of view, paired with a better image, and pristine edge to clarity, out-weigh the additional 3X of the SLC's. The NL's are also better at first and last light. Once using them side by side, it was an absolute no brainer to just go with the 12 NL's. Save 30+ ounces on the back, and still have a better overall bino.

Edit to say, I used to have Zeiss 10X42's ranging binos, HD SLC 15's and an 80 STS.

I switched to a 12 NL pure, revic BR4 and Kowa 884. I have ZERO regrets.

I’d like to see a test of quality 15x56’s, NL 12’s, and stabilized Sigs.

For Coues, I would think the extra magnification of quality 15’s would edge out NL’s and I think the value of tripods is helping you glass systematically (i.e. gridding) and not just stability, so stabilized Binos won’t beat tripod + 15’s.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
Used both the 12 NL's and the 15x56's 3 weeks ago on a Cous hunt in southern AZ. The 12's are great and so are the 15's. I can see more center of image details with the 15's but nicer contrast and clarity with the 12's. My wife was using the 12's and I was using the 15's but we switched up a few times. I preferred the 15's over the 12's for glassing off a tripod. However, the 12's were way better on the chest when stalking in but I would have preferred to use 8x32's when stalking in and crawling to close the distance. Next time out the 15's will be tripod only and the 8x32's will be on the chest. The wife can pack the 12's....They are great but as with everything there is a compromise. BTW, glassing into a dark mountain at sunset, you will get more glare from the NL's over the SLC's.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks for all the replies..

I already have 8x50 range finding binos for handheld glassing and ranging, don't care about "ergonomics" in my tripod mounted 12's or 15's.

So far it's been pretty split on folks opinions between sticking with 15's and going to NL 12's, which is exactly why I made this thread. Both tools are effective for sure...

I will be renting the NL 12's here this winter to compare side by side and spend some time in coues country.

JNDEER

WKR
What about 12s if you are hunting 1500 yards and in?

I have 10 els and 15 slc.
But in Oregon there isn't necessarily alot of long range glassing, at least where I am.

And alot of times with the 15s im just like man everything is to close. I feel the fov is just to small

Anyone got a comment on this?

For those that run the 12's are they on your chest and used for close and long range viewing?

If most of your hunting is 1000 yards and in would you still be using the 12's?

ZWA

Lil-Rokslider
Recently left my NL 12’s and kept the EL 10’s. The low light performance of the 10’s won me over. For ergonomics the NL cannot be beat. If I had to do it all over I would have NL 8’s and a 85mm spotter.

BBob

WKR
So far it's been pretty split on folks opinions between sticking with 15's and going to NL 12's, which is exactly why I made this thread. Both tools are effective for sure...
I own both. For Coues I still prefer the 15’s but for most anywhere else or most anything else I’d be fine with the NL’s. My situation changed with BTX and Swaro twins. The twins have for the most part replaced my need to use the 15’s so they sit in the safe most of the time. When carrying the twins I’m usually carrying the 12x NL’s but in that situation the NL’s just never see the tripod. In reality I’d be fine with my 10x EL’s and the twins but I haven’t let go of the 12’s in that situation yet.